PDA

View Full Version : Succesful Young Diana Vs. Succesful Young Dionne

test

IMissFlo93
07-30-2020, 11:27 AM
I just never got it with crossover appeal:

How come people of all walks of life like this young Flo sounding girl maturing like fine wine right as she's about through puberty [[or so it sounds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoBISzUP4o

When Berry thought she want this kitten of a girl was going to be a superstar. Did people really believe the studio version of the former artists song thinks it was too "Older Women"?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v8g9lC8EwM

Maybe the supremes were too upbeat compared to old piano and the record buyers wanted to be peter pans!

That's my theory.

I know Flo was assaulted and didn't think herself as much as of a "Superstar", but still....I JUST DON'T GET IT!

Why did Dionne Warwick and the others still sell well when Berry's dream was to appeal to all people? Is Motown a lie?

midnightman
07-30-2020, 03:59 PM
Motown wasn't a lie. Motown was considered a soul label that pop audiences crossed over to IMHO because its producers manage to successfully tweak it a little where black and white audiences can both groove to it without feeling awkward [[which is why artists like Otis Redding, James Brown and Aretha Franklin wouldn't catch on until later that decade).

Dionne already had the pop-soul sound from the beginning. I think her success came AFTER Mary Wells. :)

SatansBlues
07-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Aretha's early work on Capital was straight up pop.

milven
07-30-2020, 08:14 PM
Aretha's early work on Capital was straight up pop.

I think you may have meant Columbia. The first record I ever bought by her was a remake of an old Al Jolson song called ROCK A BYE YOUR BABY WITH A DIXIE MELODY. Six years later, she was having all kinds of hits on Atlantic

SatansBlues
07-30-2020, 09:01 PM
I think you may have meant Columbia. The first record I ever bought by her was a remake of an old Al Jolson song called ROCK A BYE YOUR BABY WITH A DIXIE MELODY. Six years later, she was having all kinds of hits on Atlantic
Yes, Columbia. Thank you.

SatansBlues
07-30-2020, 09:02 PM
I'm not following the point that you're trying to make. Dionne sounds nothing like F.s Ballard. Absolutely nothing.

monicarivers
07-30-2020, 09:40 PM
I'm not following the point that you're trying to make. Dionne sounds nothing like F.s Ballard. Absolutely nothing.

Correct. NOBODY sounded like Dionne which is why she was so successful- the perfect blend of pop, rb, and gospel. Bacharach-David lyrics and melodies aren’t easy. Dionne made it work and was amazing.

TYK1986
07-31-2020, 07:12 AM
I don't really find that Florence sounds like Dionna at all. And what has it got to do with Diana VS Dionne? I think this thread has nothing to do with either of the two.

SatansBlues
07-31-2020, 09:48 AM
I don't really find that Florence sounds like Dionna at all. And what has it got to do with Diana VS Dionne? I think this thread has nothing to do with either of the two.
Agreed. I don't get it either.

carlo
08-03-2020, 04:47 PM
I think IMissFlo93 was trying to say that he finds that Flo and Dionne sound similar, and since Dionne was already considered a pop artist who had crossed over, and since Berry was also looking to give the Supremes a commercial sound to cross-over, why didn't he pick Flo to be the consistent lead, instead of Diana? I see the point being made. However, to my own ears, I don't find that Flo and Dionne sound the same. Dionne had a very soft, light, high voice on her early 60's records, while Flo sang with more power and an R&B type of twang.

TYK1986
08-03-2020, 05:39 PM
I like Florence's voice but never think of it as being a sound to become a huge pop star. Maybe on the R&B charts with the right material as her voice was more powerful than both Diana's and Mary's. Florence did cover Walk on by but she doesn't sound like Dionne to me.