PDA

View Full Version : New Temptations book coming out

test

tsull1
08-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Sounds interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/047026117X/ref=pe_606_16571790_pe_ar_t1

I'm glad for this on a few different levels. One, while I liked Otis' book, "Temptations" [[in which the TV mini-series was made from), it had one point of view: Otis's point of view. It was more of a biography of Otis than the group, IMO. Two, it could've been sub-titled: "Why I hate Ruff." Too many shots at David, IMO, no matter how tough he was to work with.

Hopefully this will give a bit more even-handed approach, and I'd like to find out why the revolving door of the lineup is always revolving. I hope he talks to Damon, Richard, Glenn, Theo, and others, to find out why in the heck Otis is never satisfied with the lineup.

bjmingo
08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
I bought Otis's first and second book, the only difference in the second book was 334a few new chapters on the end that included Ali and a small portion for Theo.

I will purchase the new book because I am a devoted fan to The Temptations but I hope it is not just a repeat.
Temptations Forever.

splanky
08-15-2010, 04:30 PM
If he put as much work into it as he and whoever he has helping him with his research, put into his book on Stevie Wonder
I'll definitely be reading it, after all this is the Temptations were talking about. What I wish I knew was how is he getting
his information and how is he writing these so fast. The Stevie book just came out this spring...

paladin
08-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Great minds think alike.......:cool::cool::cool::cool:

smark21
08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Speaking of Temptations books, whatever happened to Tony Turner's #1 fan Top Diva who was always plugging Deliver Us from Temptation? This new book is by the same guy who wrote that book on the Supremes that came out a year or two ago. Hopefully he and the publisher have done a better job of fact checking on this Temptations book.

soulwally
08-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Interesting indeed Tsull. Wonder if any of his interviewees are critical of some of Otis's actions over the years? If I recall from Otis's book, the likes of Damon/Glenn/Dennis "messed up once too often" [[to paraphrase), resulting in him kicking them out the door. As for Richard [[and I coincidentally only just re-read this last week): "Richard left for the the final time..." Meaning what? has Richard kept quitting and going back... or is just Otis trying to give credence to his easing out RS? I hope these former Tempts have their say.

To pick up on your point, Splanky, some of the interviewees for his Stevie book will be relevant to the Tempts' story, so he will have material already on board to cover both acts.

arrr&bee
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
What happened to the book that cornelius grant was writing about his career with the temps?i'm still waiting for it..and as for otis book[temptations]like it or not[and i like it]it is still the difinitive book on their career!

nomis
08-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I didnt enjoy Ribowskys last book - it was interesting on The Supremes early days but then he rehashed every gossip story.

tsull1
08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Otis has rarely been held accountable for his quick firings. I heard Richard Street had 37 kidney stones and couldn't perform. 37!? Man, I had two stones once and thought I was gonna die. Otis should be thankful that Richard got through that ordeal.

I respect that "O" has kept the group going and performing all those years. On the other hand, dumping Dennis, Richard, Damon, Glenn, Theo -- or making life so miserable that they left -- isn't right. I don't care how many excuses he has or his fans, who often give the dude a free pass. It's not right.

Can you imagine if he'd kept some of those 70's and 80's lineups together still today? Heck, maybe even some of those 90's and 2000's lineups!

I'm tiring of the revolving door. Nothing is ever right for the big O. Oh yeah, he shouldn't have dumped Barrington either ... simply criminal. :mad:

Paula Goldston
08-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Wow, I wanna get this book. I'm anxious to know more about Ollie Woodson and his passing. I hope some of that will be in there as well.

jaybs
08-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I am looking forward to the book being released, though Sharon Davis who has written many Motown book was not very complimenting about a book which the writer did on Stevie Wonder, she said it was just comments lifted and that he never seemed to have met Stevie??

splanky
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
You know I think my age is catching up to me. I think there could be some truth in Sharon Davis's comments about this book. I read this cats book on Stevie and I liked
it I have to say. I'm not one who insist's a writer has to actually ever meet his/or her
subject to write a book on them. Still maybe Ribowsky did do a little cut and paste from
previous books because I just skimmed my copy of Sharon's book on Stevie and a few
things, particularly his relationships with the Rolling Stones and Cecil and Margouleff
read almost exactly as I remember from Rib's book, which I don't own having borrowed it
from the library. I do remember he went into much greater detail about TONTO, the synthesizer set up and programming and he did interview those guys extensively. As a
matter of fact he let them infer that without them there'd be no Stevie Wonder...
I'm getting a little squeamish about this, folks...Sorry to say, but sh*t, it's the mollyfocking Temptations we're talking about...How much spin can he put on it?.....

zebop
08-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't know if I want to read another book. After Otis's and excerpts from that Tony Turner book [[seedy and hilarious) I'm Temptationed out book wise. What I've always wanted to see was a documentary with the Tempts being interviewed. There's still quite a few of them out there. If that's not going to happen, I'd like to see at least an accurate take on why and when all of those lineup changes took place.