PDA

View Full Version : wonder woman is coming to NEW YORK but wheres the soul music?

test

wonder_woman
04-02-2011, 06:14 AM
just a shopping trip so I'll be trying to find the best soul music stores any suggestions please?

MIKEW-UK
04-03-2011, 03:16 AM
WONDER WOMAN, what no response from our US friends?
I always went to J&R as they used to have a really good selection of soul / R&B. Things may have changed over the last couple of years as online sales have taken away from physical CD sales in stores. They have a couple of stores. They carry a huge amount of electronics and this will be their focus today.
http://www.jr.com/information/directions.jsp

They are really well organised, their Soul / R&b caltalogue for example is divided into categories such as Motown, Chicago Soul, Stax / Southern Soul, Philly, New Orleans, classic r&b etc, they were always good champions of our cause. You can top up on your Impressions stuff, see their items for sale at nice prices!

Our US friends will give you more current advice, I'm sure.

timmyfunk
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
J&R is always a good place to start. I assume that Bondy's is no longer in existence.
Most of the surviving record stores in Manhattan are in the east/west village. Just take any letter train to West 4th Street. Try to get on at the front of the train. When you emerge, you should be near a newstand and a movie theatre. Go to the right of the movie theatre and walk around the corner. You should see Carmine's House of Oldies and another record further right [[the name escapes me for now).

Then after that, go back to that same newsstand. Directly across from the newsstand is West 4th street. Go down that street and you'll find two more stores. One on west 4th and another two blocks down and then you turn right. Then go back to west 4th and walk far east. If you ask someone, they should easily be able to direct you to St Marks place. You'll know you're there when you pass a big black cube standing on one of it's points. Once you pass the cube, you'll be in St Marks. There are a couple of stores on that block. Hope this helps.

wonder_woman
04-08-2011, 04:07 PM
thankyou timmyfunk that is so kind of you to give me help, I am staying 2 blocks from Times Square, never been before, I have been instructed to buy some soul music & where better than NY. Will it be hot in July?

wonder_woman
04-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Also big thankyou to MIKEW-UK think the store near Macy's will be good.

timmyfunk
04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
If you are going to be there over a weekend, let me know. I would be more than happy to be your guide.

wonder_woman
04-10-2011, 03:06 PM
timmyfunk, thankyou so much and yes I would love to take up your offer, perhaps you could take me to the record shop, I shall be in NY on the 9th/10th July if thats ok with you, please PM me privately for meeting arrangements.