PDA

View Full Version : 11 years ago, right here on this very forum...

test

jboy88
06-25-2020, 08:28 PM
I got the news that Michael Jackson had been rushed to the hospital. Initially, it was implied to be a mild heart attack. But as we all know now, that wasn’t the case. Easily one of the most shocking deaths in my lifetime at least.

nativeNY63
06-25-2020, 10:12 PM
I got the news that Michael Jackson had been rushed to the hospital. Initially, it was implied to be a mild heart attack. But as we all know now, that wasn’t the case. Easily one of the most shocking deaths in my lifetime at least.

Wow!! Has it really been 11yrs.? Was watching CNN when it was announced.

marv2
06-25-2020, 11:35 PM
Oh, it was awful! I kept running from my home office and into the living room to keep up with the latest on CNN. So sad. Rest in peace Michael.

Motown Eddie
06-26-2020, 08:04 AM
I found out when my friend called me with the news that Michael had a heart attack & passed away. Was on my way to my local bar to hang with friends and we talked about Michael's death and we cheered every time the DJ played one of MJ's Classics. It really started to sink in when I was on my way home. Continue to Rest In Peace Michael Jackson.

arr&bee
06-26-2020, 10:06 AM
What a talent..m.j. Forever!

StuBass1
06-26-2020, 01:05 PM
Time flies...

Jerry Oz
06-26-2020, 01:59 PM
That was a sad day. My wife was napping when the news broke. When she woke up, I told her that the world's most famous man died and she spent the next 20 minutes tossing a hundred names out before I told her. She was shocked. The one name she hadn't tossed out was Michael Jackson because it was too obvious and she couldn't believe that he'd passed at such a young age. I stand by the "most famous man" remark, too because I can't imagine anywhere on any of the seven continents with a radio that didn't play Michael Jackson songs.

When Prince died, it was particularly sad because arguably the three greatest solo talents [[Prince, Whitney, Michael) of the '80s/'90s were all gone and each died in their 50s. Giants who were recognized by their first names and will be known as generational talents, all left much too soon with a common thread in their passing. To be honest, I'm surprised it has only been 11 years for MJ.

sansradio
06-26-2020, 03:36 PM
^And Whitney, at 48, didn't even make the half-century mark. Yes, the past eleven years have been so tough on the world of music.

DJMoch
06-26-2020, 05:57 PM
I remember seeing the news on a television at my workplace. I was absolutely devestated. What a huge loss to the world of music.

nativeNY63
06-26-2020, 10:14 PM
That was a sad day. My wife was napping when the news broke. When she woke up, I told her that the world's most famous man died and she spent the next 20 minutes tossing a hundred names out before I told her. She was shocked. The one name she hadn't tossed out was Michael Jackson because it was too obvious and she couldn't believe that he'd passed at such a young age. I stand by the "most famous man" remark, too because I can't imagine anywhere on any of the seven continents with a radio that didn't play Michael Jackson songs.

When Prince died, it was particularly sad because arguably the three greatest solo talents [[Prince, Whitney, Michael) of the '80s/'90s were all gone and each died in their 50s. Giants who were recognized by their first names and will be known as generational talents, all left much too soon with a common thread in their passing. To be honest, I'm surprised it has only been 11 years for MJ.

The Leverts. Luther. JB. Aretha....

Guy
06-29-2020, 08:07 PM

As a teenager of the 80s the loss of those three -- the biggest black "crossover" recording artists of ALL TIME -- is profoundly sad. Particularly to be without them as I age and at this time. I would even add George Michael to that sorrowful roll call. I briefly watched as much of the BET Awards as I could stand yesterday and the lack of uniquely talented "stars" in music is demoralizing.