PDA

View Full Version : Wjzz

test

oldspice676
03-31-2011, 01:40 AM
Can anyone remember a list of songs that was played on an defuct Jazz station Called WJZZ in Detroit from the late 60s to the mid 90s! just need some songs for my jazz collection

Thanks

DJ Oldspice

stingbeelee
03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi DJ Oldspice; I remember WJZZ; back in the 60's and 70's it was called WCHD and it was a sister station to WCHB. I am trying to remember some of the records they played, as my father listened to it all the time. Some of the records were:

"the third cup" - eddie fisher quintet
"repeat after me' - the three sounds
"jungle strut" - gene "the jug" ammons
"sack o' woe" - grady tate [[vocal version)
"action line" "afro harping" - dorothy ashby [[and anything else by her)
"killer joe" "body heat"- quincy jones
"burning spear" - soulful strings
"sookie sookie" "a day in the life" - grant green [[and anything else by him)
"listen here" - eddie harris and les mccann
"les fleurs" - minnie ripperton

oldspice676
03-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi DJ Oldspice; I remember WJZZ; back in the 60's and 70's it was called WCHD and it was a sister station to WCHB. I am trying to remember some of the records they played, as my father listened to it all the time. Some of the records were:

Sweet i like this!

Motown_M_1056
03-31-2011, 11:01 PM

I had forgotten WJZZ had been WCHD-FM in Detroit. I listened periodically and StingBeeLee is right about Listen Here by Eddie Harris. It got lots of airplay on WCHD. So did Mercy Mercy Mercy by Cannonball Adderley and Memphis Underground by Herbie Mann. I also remember a jazz-funk tune titled Move Your Hand, by Lonnie Smith. I remember lots of Ramsey Lewis' music getting played, especially his movie themes album; Lou Rawls' Live and Soulin' would get played- sometimes the entire albums. One of the last times I tuned in during a quick Detroit visit in the 1980s, Dianne Reeves' Better Days was getting played a lot.

uptight
04-01-2011, 02:45 AM
While I listened to R&B stations growing up in the 70s and 80s, WJZZ was a refreshing alternative. I enjoyed attending the Jazz Festival every summer at Hart Plaza, totally digging the tone and timbre of live horns and acoustic bass guitar blowing in the air along the Detroit River. Then at home I would tune in to WJZZ. During this period, they were playing traditional jazz artists like Miles Davis and Billie Holiday along with Al Jarreau and modern jazz artists like Early Klugh and George Benson. It was a nice mix. I wondered if some jazz purists resented the newer jazz fusion.

Later I guess the natural progression in the 1990s and the new millennium would be to include Anita Baker and Michael MacDonald and call it Smooth Jazz [[or eventually The Wave).

Sorry, I will have to come back to this thread with more specific tunes they would play. The topic covers a lot of years to reflect upon.

smark21
04-01-2011, 07:31 AM
While I listened to R&B stations growing up in the 70s and 80s, WJZZ was a refreshing alternative. I enjoyed attending the Jazz Festival every summer at Hart Plaza, totally digging the tone and timbre of live horns and acoustic bass guitar blowing in the air along the Detroit River. Then at home I would tune in to WJZZ. During this period, they were playing traditional jazz artists like Miles Davis and Billie Holiday along with Al Jarreau and modern jazz artists like Early Klugh and George Benson. It was a nice mix. I wondered if some jazz purists resented the newer jazz fusion.

Later I guess the natural progression in the 1990s and the new millennium would be to include Anita Baker and Michael MacDonald and call it Smooth Jazz [[or eventually The Wave).

Sorry, I will have to come back to this thread with more specific tunes they would play. The topic covers a lot of years to reflect upon.

For pepple who liked real jazz, not smooth Jazz, there was always WEMU out of Ypsillanti.

Motown_M_1056
04-01-2011, 09:21 AM

I attended a Detroit jazz festival one summer while working at the Free Press. It was 1985. Sarah Vaughan was still living and she headlined one of the shows. I didn't get to attend that one, but I did cover [[review) the Manhattan Transfer and Ramsey Lewis. It was fun.