PDA

View Full Version : Marvelettes' Tracks

test

longtimefan
03-29-2011, 07:35 PM
I am compiling a listing of tracks recorded by The Marvelettes that were hits by other Motown artists [[or tracks strongly associated with other Motown artists). Can anyone help with additional suggestions?

THE SUPREMES
Breathtaking Guy
Someday We'll Be Together
I Want a Guy

THE TEMPTATIONS
Our Lips Just Seem to Rhyme Every Time CANCEL: ERROR
Fading Away
I'll Be in Trouble

MARTHA AND THE VANDELLAS
No More Tearstained Makeup

THE VELVELETTES
He Was Really Saying Something

MARY WELLS
What's Easy for Two
The One Who Really Loves You

MARVIN GAYE AND TAMMI TERRELL
You Ain't Livin' Until You're Lovin'

copley
03-29-2011, 08:16 PM
The Stranger - Gladys Knight & The Pips
I Know Better - Gladys Knight & The Pips
After All - Miracles
Here I Am Baby - Barbara McNair
Way Over There - Miracles

johnjeb
03-29-2011, 08:32 PM
I wasn't aware of any other artist recording "Our Lips Just Seem To Rhyme Every Time".

Where can I find The Temptations version or any other version of this song?

A favorite of mine. Makes me feel alright now...

marv2
03-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I think Marvin recorded a version of "When You're Young and In Love".

longtimefan
03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Sorry Johnjeb, you are correct! "Our Lips Just Seem to Rhyme" was NOT recorded by The Temptations. My error --- and one of the big benefits of SDF, i.e., "Fans helping fans!" I will strike it!

copley
03-30-2011, 04:46 AM
I think Marvin recorded a version of "When You're Young and In Love".

Marv. Marvin never recorded 'When You're Young And In Love' and of course it was not a Motown song as Ruby & The Romantics recorded the original :)

roger
03-30-2011, 05:05 AM
THE ELGINS also did a version of "No Time For Tears", which was on the "B" side of "I'll Keep Holding On" by THE MARVELETTES. It was only ever an L.P. track though.

I think it uses the same backing track too.

Roger

reese
03-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Both the Marvelettes and Marvin Gaye recorded FOREVER, and it sounds like the same backing track. But I believe the Marvelettes' version was issued first [[as the flip to LOCKING UP MY HEART).

soulwally
03-30-2011, 07:53 AM
At what stage [[as legend has it) did they give the thumbs-down to Where Did Our Love Go? Did they ever get to do a vocal track and, if so, is it vaulted?

honest man
03-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Minight Johnny remixed FOREVER by MARVIN-marvelettes I Always found this song quite a bore but MJ brought new life into his version, you should hear it, wonderful fantasy duet ,cheers.

randy_russi
03-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Martha & Vandellas recorded "Someday, Someway" and "Forever". They were never officially issued, however.
"All The Love I Got" was originally recorded by Marv Johnson.
"Angel" was done by the Satin-tones.

randy_russi
03-30-2011, 09:06 AM
"The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other)" by the Miracles

longtimefan
03-30-2011, 09:28 AM
UPDATE :cool:

THE SUPREMES
Breathtaking Guy
Someday We'll Be Together
I Want a Guy
After All
Take Me Where You Go [[Added 04/01)

THE TEMPTATIONS
Fading Away
I'll Be in Trouble

MARTHA AND THE VANDELLAS
No More Tearstained Makeup
Forever
Someday, Someway

THE VELVELETTES
He Was Really Saying Something
The Boy From Crosstown [[Added 04/01)

MARY WELLS
What's Easy for Two
The One Who Really Loves You

MARVIN GAYE AND TAMMI TERRELL
You Ain't Livin' Until You're Lovin'

GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS
The Stranger
I Know Better
The Boy From Crosstown [[Added 04/01)

THE MIRACLES
After All
The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take the Other)
Way Over There

THE ELGINS
No Time For Tears

MARVIN GAYE
Forever

BARBARA MCNAIR
Here I Am Baby

MARV JOHNSON
All the Love I’ve Got

THE SATINTONES
Angel

BARRETT STrONG
I Apologize [[Added 04/01)

theboyfromxtown
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
The Boy From Crosstown-The Velvelettes

marv2
03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Marv. Marvin never recorded 'When You're Young And In Love' and of course it was not a Motown song as Ruby & The Romantics recorded the original :)

Oh you know what? I was thinking of the song "Forever" that both Marvin Gaye and the Marvelettes recorded.

longtimefan
03-30-2011, 12:11 PM
The Boy From Crosstown-The Velvelettes

However did you think of that one??? LOL [[p.s. THANKS!)

copley
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
At what stage [[as legend has it) did they give the thumbs-down to Where Did Our Love Go? Did they ever get to do a vocal track and, if so, is it vaulted?
Nothing in the vaults as it never got recorded.

westgrandboulevard
03-30-2011, 01:19 PM
As well as The Velvelettes, Gladys Knight & The Pips also recorded 'The Boy From Crosstown' [[*smile John*)

theboyfromxtown
03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
However did you think of that one??? LOL [[p.s. THANKS!)

It came to me in a vision!!

HAHA

I could go on...but it's easier to say "Anthology"

theboyfromxtown
03-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Roger...

Ok Roger.....The Boy from Crosstown from the Marvelettes.

Now, are you happy that you made me squirm!

kenneth
03-31-2011, 11:29 PM
The Sophisticated Soul track "Your Love Can Save Me" was a rework of the Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell track "This Poor Heart of Mine" with slightly different lyrics. Or maybe the Marvelettes track was first...not sure.

And there was also the Marvelettes version of Barrett Strong's "Oh I Apologize" on the Please Mr. Postman album.

longtimefan
04-01-2011, 12:13 AM
And there was also the Marvelettes version of Barrett Strong's "Oh I Apologize" on the Please Mr. Postman album.

Thanks, Kenneth. I have added "I Apologize" [[above).

Thanks also to theboyfromcrosstown and westgrandboulevard. Your contributions have been added, also!!!

roger
04-01-2011, 05:37 AM
There is a version of "Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" by BLINKY on the "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" CD set ..

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Motown-Sings-Motown-Treasures-Volumes-12/release/1057773

Roger

midnight johnny
04-01-2011, 08:09 AM
The Sophisticated Soul track "Your Love Can Save Me" was a rework of the Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell track "This Poor Heart of Mine" with slightly different lyrics. Or maybe the Marvelettes track was first...not sure.

The Marvelettes was first, I'm sure. You can tell by how the lyrics of the Marvelettes' version were a bit awkward, and the Marvin and Valerie version is much more polished and bright. Nick and Val reworked a number of their songs after they had been released, and then released the newer versions.

copley
04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
There is a version of "Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" by BLINKY on the "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" CD set ..

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Motown-Sings-Motown-Treasures-Volumes-12/release/1057773

Roger
Yup, great version but of course the Marvelettes is the original not a cover.

copley
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
The Marvelettes was first, I'm sure. You can tell by how the lyrics of the Marvelettes' version were a bit awkward, and the Marvin and Valerie version is much more polished and bright. Nick and Val reworked a number of their songs after they had been released, and then released the newer versions.
Marvelettes recorded 27/10/66. M&T recorded 18/3/69.

kenneth
04-02-2011, 01:01 AM

Roger

Actually, that reminded me that there is also a version of "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" by Barbara McNair on The Real Barbara McNair.

roger
04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
There is a version of "The Day You Take One, You're Gonna Have To Take The Other" by GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS on "Cellarful of Motown Volume 4" .. its on youtube too ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N4tmOmHiCg

Roger