PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Gladys Horton on her 75th Birthday

test

carlo
05-30-2020, 10:43 PM
Listening to some of the Marvelettes' early music tonight and remembering Gladys Horton on what would have been her 75th Birthday. Always loved and remembered!

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
05-30-2020, 10:58 PM
Probably one of the best write ups I ever read about Gladys was a blogger who remarked that Gladys embodies the attitude, "I am not here for your bulls--t." I can go with that. Gladys got down to brass tacks. She could paint a beautiful, romantic picture as well as the rest of them [["Tonight Was Made for Love") but had Gladys come along in the 70s, I'd wager she would have been on a par with the Tina Turners, Millie Jacksons and Shirley "Woman to Woman" Browns of music.

marv2
05-30-2020, 11:09 PM
One of my favorite ladies. Happy Birthday [[In Heaven) to Ms. Gladys Horton!

daviddesper
05-30-2020, 11:46 PM
Have heard "Too Many Fish in the Sea" often on my Sirius radio lately. Gladys at her best!!!

carlo
05-30-2020, 11:57 PM
but had Gladys come along in the 70s, I'd wager she would have been on a par with the Tina Turners, Millie Jacksons and Shirley "Woman to Woman" Browns of music.

I can see it! Would have also loved to have read that book that she was working on.

splanky
05-31-2020, 11:06 AM
Gladys was so damn real. Still miss her and will always love her work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us18AUBM2RI

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
05-31-2020, 02:23 PM
I can see it! Would have also loved to have read that book that she was working on.

That would really be great if we could. I think she would have kept it real without being trashy or disrespectful. Just pure honesty.

motown01
05-31-2020, 02:32 PM
Found this online recently. A 2011 article which covered Gladys' funeral and some interviews with the other Marvelettes:

https://prince.org/msg/8/374639

carlo
05-31-2020, 03:14 PM
Found this online recently. A 2011 article which covered Gladys' funeral and some interviews with the other Marvelettes:

https://prince.org/msg/8/374639

Thanks for sharing this great article. I had read Mark Taylor's book on the Marvelettes over a decade ago and it was a decent read. This article provided some additional information that I don't remember reading about in his book. I didn't realize that Gladys had three sons, as I thought she only had two. I also didn't know that one of them was tragically shot and killed in the early 90's. She really suffered through a lot. It sounds like she was a great mother, in addition to being a pioneering artist.

kenneth
05-31-2020, 03:57 PM
Thanks for sharing this great article. I had read Mark Taylor's book on the Marvelettes over a decade ago and it was a decent read. This article provided some additional information that I don't remember reading about in his book. I didn't realize that Gladys had three sons, as I thought she only had two. I also didn't know that one of them was tragically shot and killed in the early 90's. She really suffered through a lot. It sounds like she was a great mother, in addition to being a pioneering artist.

I never heard that about Gladys' son either, though I know that Katherine's son Jason [[Tony) Schaffner died the same way, and probably around the same time in the early 90s. I remember the article [[which I think I ran across when I was looking at the collectables I was posting here) had the headline: "Jason [[Tony) Schaffner [has died]...he 'never met a stranger'" [according to his mother].

Motown Eddie
06-01-2020, 05:33 AM
[[Beleated) Happy 75th Birthday in Paradise to The Mavelettes' Gladys Horton.