PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross - "[[They Long To Be) Close To You"

test

PeaceNHarmony
05-03-2020, 11:23 AM
The closing cut of Diana's second solo album, Everything Is Everything, and for my money perhaps the most bizarre cut on any Diana lp! Producer Deke Richards speaks of having request Burt Bacharach to write a song specifically for Diana. Bacharach passed saying he was too busy with two movie scores so Richards chose this recent Carpenters hit for Diana to cover. I consider the cut 'bizarre' because it sounds to be like a Busby Berkeley production number score! Sure is fun when it turns up on a spin of EIE, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_FuAaN65cc

lucky2012
05-03-2020, 12:12 PM
it sounds to be like a Busby Berkeley production number score! Sure is fun when it turns up on a spin of EIE,
though.

Lol. But you're right!

I didn't care for this when I first heard it. But I wasn't impressed by the EIE album, though I love I'm Still Waiting and My Place. I've since come to like Baby, It's Love, How About You, DoobyDood'n'Dooby, perhaps due to your posts, Peace. Perhaps I'll come to like this one, too.

daviddh
05-03-2020, 08:30 PM
I did hear the version ...the one used as a B side was best....have to have a listen

daviddh
05-03-2020, 08:31 PM
I don't like the production ...kinda reminds me of partridge family

RanRan79
05-06-2020, 01:54 AM
Another fav of mine. Actually "Close To You" is one of my favorite songs period. I've rarely heard a version that I didn't like. Diana's version is up there with BT Express, Zulema and Bobby Womack in my favorites of this classic.

RanRan79
05-06-2020, 01:55 AM
I don't like the production ...kinda reminds me of partridge family

It does have a Partridge vibe to it! Lol

gman
05-07-2020, 12:19 PM
the original Carpenters version was SO OVERPLAYED it became an annoyance. 50 years later....I can tolerate it when I rarely hear it...

I really would rather have Diana's breathy version.....C'MON, GET HAPPY! LOL

George Solomon
05-07-2020, 12:43 PM
A lot of earlier versions of this song. It's on Make Way For Dionne Warwick from 1964. Deke once told me he wanted to record this with Diana prior to the Carpenters version but didn't get the green light until the Carpenters hit.

lucky2012
05-07-2020, 02:14 PM
A lot of earlier versions of this song. It's on Make Way For Dionne Warwick from 1964. Deke once told me he wanted to record this with Diana prior to the Carpenters version but didn't get the green light until the Carpenters hit.

Thank you, George. I'm liking Diana's version only now some 50 years later. I think my disappointment with the EIE album didn't help.

benross
05-09-2020, 05:45 AM
Richard Chamberlain's original version of this song was/is one of the less successful attempts to make this song come alive; he strained a bit to reach the high notes, and the clunky piano pounding throughout and certain other background bits defeated the few positives of the arrangement.

Dusty Springfield's rendition, the first I heard, remains the best to my way of thinking; her voice conveys the wondrous feeling of a first love. There's a breathtaking freshness and a sincerity in her take, while later versions [[following The Carpenters' hit) all seem tired, with various singers attempting to coast on someone else's arrangement as a way to draw attention to an album or concert that was short on hits. On the other hand, The '70s Supremes version of We've Only Just Begun had relevance in part because the group was finding its way, so their performance took on a special vibrancy.

Importantly, neither of the early versions mentioned here is hampered by the lengthy, awful, unnecessary ending of The Carpenters' and subsequent versions.

Circa 1824
05-09-2020, 07:06 AM
Diana’s version soars. I always loved it, almost more than the great Carpenter’s version.

lucky2012
05-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Diana’s version soars. I always loved it, almost more than the great Carpenter’s version.

I'm getting on board with Diana's version. Karen Carpenter's version is still my favorite because her voice is so warm and intimate, like the song.

TomatoTom123
05-12-2020, 07:54 PM
I really like Diana's version. Carpenters' is more depressing LOL.

jim aka jtigre99
05-13-2020, 09:41 AM
As much as I love Diana Ross' voice, I have always found a good deal of her ballads a bit too syrupy for me. I definitely feel Karen Carpenter gave the song far more depth of emotion of the song and really fleshes it out.

Ollie9
05-14-2020, 08:19 AM
P
As much as I love Diana Ross' voice, I have always found a good deal of her ballads a bit too syrupy for me. I definitely feel Karen Carpenter gave the song far more depth of emotion of the song and really fleshes it out.

It’s funny because I have always found Karen’s voice just a little to syrupy on many of the Carpenters ballads. Just a ‘tad toooo wholesome.
Diana’s is by far my favourite version of “Close To You”. She sounds kittenish yet exuberant all at the same time. I love the crescendo near to the end where she really let’s rip. Ross magic. I think it could have been a big hit for her but feel Motown wanted to steer her away from getting to MOR.

lucky2012
05-14-2020, 09:47 AM
It's possible that I was so struck when I first heard the Carpenter's version. I'd never heard the song before but song and voice just fit so perfectly to me. Some Carpenters music is indeed syrupy or "schmaltzy", same as Diana Ross. I love both women's voices.
I used to think in terms of "too wholesome" or "too vanilla", but not anymore, or try not to.

Among my favorite singers/voices: Dusty Springfield, Karen Carpenter, Anne Murray, Patsy Cline. Diana Ross is, of course, my favorite, always will be. :)

Ollie9
05-15-2020, 09:09 AM
It's possible that I was so struck when I first heard the Carpenter's version. I'd never heard the song before but song and voice just fit so perfectly to me. Some Carpenters music is indeed syrupy or "schmaltzy", same as Diana Ross. I love both women's voices.
I used to think in terms of "too wholesome" or "too vanilla", but not anymore, or try not to.

Among my favorite singers/voices: Dusty Springfield, Karen Carpenter, Anne Murray, Patsy Cline. Diana Ross is, of course, my favorite, always will be. :)

It’s always interesting to hear other members musical tastes lucky.
A few of the Female singers I enjoy other then Diana are Angie Stone, Mica Paris and Shirley Horn.
The last two albums I bought were by Prince and Leslie Odom Jnr whom i’m really into at the mo. Would love for Diana to record a duet with this guy. He’s really very talented.

RanRan79
05-15-2020, 09:21 AM
P

I love the crescendo near to the end where she really let’s rip. Ross magic. I think it could have been a big hit for her but feel Motown wanted to steer her away from getting to MOR.

My favorite part too. Don't know if I would love it as much without it.

RanRan79
05-15-2020, 09:23 AM

Anne and Patsy are on my list also. And of course Diana. I really dig Karen's voice but haven't dug deep into her work. I like Dusty's voice but I'm not wild about it the way some folks are. I particularly love her Brand New Me album.

Ollie9
05-15-2020, 04:10 PM
My favorite part too. Don't know if I would love it as much without it.

Me neither. It’s what lifts it above the other trillion billion versions out there.
I think Motown did the right thing by including it on her greatest hits album in 72. Interestingly they also included “How About you” as well. When I was a kid I assumed both songs had been hits. Both recordings are most certainly good enough.