PDA

View Full Version : First pic you ever saw of The Supremes

test

lakeside
04-30-2020, 12:52 PM
This was mine. I have an 8x10 of it, too.
http://rbk.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/14/51/980x1142/549026ba76ccf_-_rbk-iconic-lbds-the-supremes-s2.jpg

Circa 1824
04-30-2020, 02:26 PM
I have no idea about the first pic or sighting of Diana and the girls.

sup_fan
04-30-2020, 02:27 PM
WDOLG cover

sophisticated_soul
04-30-2020, 02:52 PM
The first picture of The Supremes I ever saw was from the cover of "Live At The Apollo".

TomatoTom123
04-30-2020, 07:12 PM

Probably this one :D

benross
04-30-2020, 08:39 PM
sophisticated_soul...that was my first, too! I saw it in a discount store, like a cut-rate K-Mart or Walmart, and at the time, I knew only that The Supremes were a trio. But looking at that cover, I saw two trios, and I was unsure which group was which. After staring at the options for maybe 10 minutes, I finally chose the right group, I think, but it really didn't matter, because within a matter of weeks, Where Did Our Love Go, with its magnificent cover photo, was released, and that photo, along with the one on the front of A Bit Of Liverpool, which emerged a month or so after, became touchstones for me. The group, especially Diana, seemed impossibly beautiful, sexy and sophisticated.

Within a few months more, the covers of More Hits and Meet The Supremes [[blue re-issue) were also on display in all the record stores and other shops with a broad range of merchandise, and those images reinforced the impression of glamour.

And I absolutely loved the black-and-white group photo on the back of We Remember Sam Cooke, although the sketch on the front rather left me cold. In a similar vein, the front photo on Country, Western & Pop looked like a disappointing reject from the Where Did Our Love Go photo shoot, while the black-and-white individual photos of Diana, Mary and Florence on the back cover were terrific; the photo of Florence there was maybe the best I ever saw of her. I wonder if Country, Western & Pop and We Remember Sam Cooke might have sold better if the back cover photos might have appeared on the front. I felt that the actual front covers looked cheap and junky, and it seemed that the record store managers agreed; generally, these albums were buried in the racks at various stores, not given the promotion of top-of-the-rack positioning.

Later album covers were somewhat hit-or-miss propositions. Sometimes, the photos were great; sometimes, oftentimes, they were not. But by then The Supremes appeared regularly on TV, and their records were staples on the radio, so to an extent, the photographs and the album covers didn't matter quite as much.

It's likely that Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits would have been strong sellers even with less compelling cover images, but I am grateful that Motown invested extra money, time and thought in creating and issuing the iconic images that were powerful and persuasive elements in giving The Supremes an impressive launch and immediate acceptance that the other groups didn't get, for whatever reason.

sophisticated_soul
05-01-2020, 01:29 AM
sophisticated_soul...that was my first, too! I saw it in a discount store, like a cut-rate K-Mart or Walmart, and at the time, I knew only that The Supremes were a trio. But looking at that cover, I saw two trios, and I was unsure which group was which. After staring at the options for maybe 10 minutes, I finally chose the right group, I think, but it really didn't matter, because within a matter of weeks, Where Did Our Love Go, with its magnificent cover photo, was released, and that photo, along with the one on the front of A Bit Of Liverpool, which emerged a month or so after, became touchstones for me. The group, especially Diana, seemed impossibly beautiful, sexy and sophisticated.

Within a few months more, the covers of More Hits and Meet The Supremes [[blue re-issue) were also on display in all the record stores and other shops with a broad range of merchandise, and those images reinforced the impression of glamour.

And I absolutely loved the black-and-white group photo on the back of We Remember Sam Cooke, although the sketch on the front rather left me cold. In a similar vein, the front photo on Country, Western & Pop looked like a disappointing reject from the Where Did Our Love Go photo shoot, while the black-and-white individual photos of Diana, Mary and Florence on the back cover were terrific; the photo of Florence there was maybe the best I ever saw of her. I wonder if Country, Western & Pop and We Remember Sam Cooke might have sold better if the back cover photos might have appeared on the front. I felt that the actual front covers looked cheap and junky, and it seemed that the record store managers agreed; generally, these albums were buried in the racks at various stores, not given the promotion of top-of-the-rack positioning.

Later album covers were somewhat hit-or-miss propositions. Sometimes, the photos were great; sometimes, oftentimes, they were not. But by then The Supremes appeared regularly on TV, and their records were staples on the radio, so to an extent, the photographs and the album covers didn't matter quite as much.

It's likely that Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits would have been strong sellers even with less compelling cover images, but I am grateful that Motown invested extra money, time and thought in creating and issuing the iconic images that were powerful and persuasive elements in giving The Supremes an impressive launch and immediate acceptance that the other groups didn't get, for whatever reason.

"Live At The Apollo" was the very first album I bought myself. Summer of'63. At that point the only group on the album I didn't know about was the Supremes. Between the front and back cover photos, by deduction, I figured out which ones they must be.

Playing the album for the first time I instantly loved "Let Me Go The Right Way". So I went looking for the 45rpm and when I played the flip-side "Time Changes Things" the deal was sealed, I was in love.:)

Motown Eddie
05-01-2020, 05:33 AM
The picture sleeve for "Where Did Our Go" in 1964 was the first photo I saw of The Supremes.

lucky2012
05-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Very first pictures I saw of the Supremes [[in Sears record department when I was 12). What a fond memory!:

sup_fan
05-01-2020, 10:12 AM
The first picture of The Supremes I ever saw was from the cover of "Live At The Apollo".

notice their outfits don't match?

sup_fan
05-01-2020, 10:16 AM

great memories! yeah some of the early album covers left something to be desired. I didn't mind CW&P but agree Sam is a little disappointing. A Go Go is one of my favs. would sit and stare at the pics. R&H was a little disappointing too in the fact that the image of the girls was over 2 years old. their hair in big flips and bouffants looked a bit dated by mid 67

marv2
05-01-2020, 11:30 AM

Also notice those pics are cut-outs. They could be from two different performances.

SatansBlues
05-01-2020, 11:37 AM
https://images.eil.com/large_image/DIANA_ROSS_%26_THE_SUPREMES_SUPERSTAR%2BSERIES%2B-%2BSEALED-503850.jpg

This is the first picture I can remember of the Supremes and its also the first album I ever bought when I was 12 in August 1981. I purchased this album because of the beautiful picture. I remember studying all their faces and learning all their names. This is still my favorite picture of Diana Ross.

jobucats
05-01-2020, 12:30 PM
This was mine. I have an 8x10 of it, too.
http://rbk.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/14/51/980x1142/549026ba76ccf_-_rbk-iconic-lbds-the-supremes-s2.jpg

Lakeside....before opening the thread, I knew this one would be the one I would mention.....

sophisticated_soul
05-01-2020, 01:41 PM

Yes, it made it difficult [[back then) to determine who was who. After all didn't all girl groups wear matching dresses?! So for me Diana Ross was out front from the very beginning.:)