PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Wonder - That Girl

test

marv2
04-26-2020, 12:27 AM
I have always loved this record. Is this Stevie's best record of the 80s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eagQKwVendA

Motown Eddie
04-26-2020, 04:52 AM
I'll always love Stevie's "That Girl". I picked up the single when it first came out and I was looking forward to a new Stevie Wonder album to come out soon after [[and I was a bit disappointed when it turned out to be one of the four [then] new songs for the Original Musiquarium I collection).

gordy_hunk
04-26-2020, 05:27 AM
I thought that the single was so underrated - it certainly is one of my favourites from Stevie - and I may be inclined to agree that I prefer this over all his other work from that decade.

rovereab
04-26-2020, 05:36 AM
I have always loved this song, especially as it's release coincided with its wording applying to a young lady in my life, who became my wife!

Sotosound
04-26-2020, 05:48 AM
I thought that the single was so underrated - it certainly is one of my favourites from Stevie - and I may be inclined to agree that I prefer this over all his other work from that decade.
It’s a great track, a slow builder, a slow burner and very much a grower.

This places it well outside of the kind of material that was topping the charts back when it was released.

It also takes more time to appreciate this track than the average early 80s single buyer might have granted it.

Those of us with the patience to listen to it and to learn to love it are the lucky ones.

nativeNY63
04-26-2020, 08:52 AM
Always lurv Stevie on the harmonica bridge. "Yeah yeah yeah
yeah yeah....that girl gets every single man that asks her for her hand..." Go, Stevie!

lockhartgary
04-26-2020, 09:38 AM
For me, it's a 3 way tie between "That Girl", "Do I Do" and "Master Blaster Jammin'".

marv2
04-26-2020, 09:55 AM
For me, it's a 3 way tie between "That Girl", "Do I Do" and "Master Blaster Jammin'".

My number 2 pick for the 80s is "Part-Time Lover".

marv2
04-26-2020, 09:56 AM
Always lurv Stevie on the harmonica bridge. "Yeah yeah yeah
yeah yeah....that girl gets every single man that asks her for her hand..." Go, Stevie!

I loved this song when it came out. I can remember singing to it or humming along to it every time it came on the radio back then.

jobucats
04-26-2020, 10:11 AM
This song would have to be in my top 3 Stevie Wonder songs. There's just something so mysterious and catchy sounding about it. Maybe it was the use of that chorus sounding synthesized instrument played off the main beat [[syncopation, of course) which, in a good way, throws one off as one listens to it. I find myself seeing if I can tap those syncopated phrases after "tell her that love her....need her...."

copley
04-26-2020, 12:35 PM
For me 'That Girl' was Stevie's last great single!

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
04-26-2020, 02:00 PM
Hands down for me the best thing he recorded in the 80s. I was a teenager who was very much into the 60s Motown Sound and there was a spirit of that sound I heard in this song. I couldn't get enough of "That Girl".

marv2
04-26-2020, 02:59 PM
For me 'That Girl' was Stevie's last great single!

It sure had a nice hook to it.

TomatoTom123
04-27-2020, 08:00 PM
I have listened to this one before and not thought that much of it, but will give it another listen now! I DO LOOOOOOVE "DO I DO" THO!!!!!!!!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDFJUPqCb1E

*edit as of 20 seconds into "That Girl": I like it

soulwally
05-01-2020, 07:47 PM
YES!!! Sheer brilliance

lockhartgary
05-02-2020, 11:35 AM
I have listened to this one before and not thought that much of it, but will give it another listen now! I DO LOOOOOOVE "DO I DO" THO!!!!!!!!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDFJUPqCb1E

*edit as of 20 seconds into "That Girl": I like it

That bass line is killer!!

McMotown
05-04-2020, 01:05 PM
Yeah another great Stevie track from the 80s. Unfortunately I never saw him perform it live, was anyone lucky enough to see him perform it live.
Oh Marv, I loved Part Time Lover when it was released and going mad when he performed it at Wembley Arena.

marv2
05-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Yeah another great Stevie track from the 80s. Unfortunately I never saw him perform it live, was anyone lucky enough to see him perform it live.
Oh Marv, I loved Part Time Lover when it was released and going mad when he performed it at Wembley Arena.

I got to see him perform it live at the Fox Theater in Detroit on New Year's Eve 1994-95 where he put on a 3 hour concert!!!