PDA

View Full Version : Keep My Light in My Window

test

jobucats
04-25-2020, 10:15 AM
Ok, guys, I am usually the last one who discovers what everyone else has known for years. I never knew that the recording was available with just Diana singing "Keep My Light in My Window" from what appears to be the original sessions in which Marvin's offerings would be added.

Yes, I realize that this is not really a ready to release solo endeavor because not only is she singing Marvin's lead parts but her harmony parts at times [[as opposed to the melody). And yes, I would think that Marvin probably did the same when he laid down his vocals.

Pretty interesting. As Jack said on Will and Grace, "Hello, is this Day Old News?" LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfF62XxtXvs

reese
04-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Was it ever confirmed that this recording was done in 1973 as the clip says? The instrumentation and Diana's vocals sound more like 1977 or 1978.

jobucats
04-25-2020, 01:06 PM
Was it ever confirmed that this recording was done in 1973 as the clip says? The instrumentation and Diana's vocals sound more like 1977 or 1978.

That's a good point. I agree that doesn't have that 1973 vibe in the instrumentation and Diana's voice.

vgalindo
04-25-2020, 01:24 PM
I had heard that there are complete solo recordings of Diana Ross and of Marvin Gaye that was done for the Diana & Marvin sessions. I wonder if this is true. If so would make a great expanded edition.

jobucats
04-25-2020, 01:42 PM
I had heard that there are complete solo recordings of Diana Ross and of Marvin Gaye that was done for the Diana & Marvin sessions. I wonder if this is true. If so would make a great expanded edition.

I am amazed about how much recording and re-recording was done back in the 60s and 70s. Another example would be when a few years ago, Diana's solo project of the Songs from the Wiz was made available. Who would have thought back then to consider such a thing as having her to come into the studio to sing solo stylings of those songs? Were they considering back then to possibly release it on the market? And I believe, if I've read correctly, this was around the same time she was recording that album produced by Richard Perry. She's always stayed very, very busy recording.

reese
04-25-2020, 03:27 PM
I am amazed about how much recording and re-recording was done back in the 60s and 70s. Another example would be when a few years ago, Diana's solo project of the Songs from the Wiz was made available. Who would have thought back then to consider such a thing as having her to come into the studio to sing solo stylings of those songs? Were they considering back then to possibly release it on the market? And I believe, if I've read correctly, this was around the same time she was recording that album produced by Richard Perry. She's always stayed very, very busy recording.

If the movie had been a success, I think Motown would have released it. It would have also brought in some more money to the company as the original soundtrack album was released on MCA.

daviddh
04-27-2020, 06:05 PM
Wasn't this recorded for the Pops we love you tribute album...77-78.......Stevie...smokey... Diana and marvin

jobucats
04-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Wasn't this recorded for the Pops we love you tribute album...77-78.......Stevie...smokey... Diana and marvin

Hey, daviddh, your response about the Pops We Love You album just blew off the dust in my brain...I believe you're right...that's where I first heard it!!! Thanks

PeaceNHarmony
04-27-2020, 10:31 PM
Unsure of the provenance, but always good to hear again.

RanRan79
04-28-2020, 02:53 PM

I believe Diana was producing herself here. Also apparently what we got wasn't the finished product. Imagine how great the album may have been if it had been mixed and completed. She has some brilliant vocals on there.

lucky2012
04-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Although I knew she had produced songs before [[for To the Baby and LTISH), I didn't know she produced these.