PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes Wig Commercials [[Jean, Mary & Lynda) @1972/1973

test

blackguy69
04-21-2020, 01:14 PM
https://youtu.be/4mhXFf_oqtU

marv2
04-21-2020, 01:20 PM
I was in Jr. High when these commercials were on television.

captainjames
04-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Yes, thy hated those wigs , I remember them saying they would never put one of them on their heads.

RanRan79
04-21-2020, 10:13 PM
Wow, interesting upload! I saw one of these- I think the first one- on Youtube several years ago, but not the other two. Good move, the wig line, but the commercials kinda suck.

RanRan79
04-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Yes, thy hated those wigs , I remember them saying they would never put one of them on their heads.

That's surprising considering they look no different than most of the other wigs they wore.

sup_fan
04-22-2020, 11:17 AM
yeah by today's standards, these commercials might seem a bit off. But do a quick youtube search on 70s commercials and they're all mostly as bad lol. At the time, that was the style, tone and approach for ads. If you go back to the 50s and 60s, the ads are different from the approach in the 70s. Marketing evolves based on changes in society and consumer point of view

IMissFlo93
04-22-2020, 04:19 PM
https://youtu.be/4mhXFf_oqtU

There's just something fascinating about film starting and leader countdowns, especially with 16mm, countdown on second-generation [[or worse) videotape film transfer?

marv2
04-22-2020, 04:44 PM
yeah by today's standards, these commercials might seem a bit off. But do a quick youtube search on 70s commercials and they're all mostly as bad lol. At the time, that was the style, tone and approach for ads. If you go back to the 50s and 60s, the ads are different from the approach in the 70s. Marketing evolves based on changes in society and consumer point of view

More importantly, I do not remember any black women advertising their own products on television at all back then. I don't remember any.

marv2
04-22-2020, 04:48 PM
That's surprising considering they look no different than most of the other wigs they wore.

They wore those wigs on The Mike Douglas Show and when they did an in-store visit and promotion at a department store in Detroit. My mother went to see them. She bought one of their wigs. They gave her an autographed copy of one of their promotional photos, this 3-part fold out that showed their complete wig-line and a copy of The Supremes "Right On" album which we already had for a few years by then.

captainjames
04-25-2020, 12:07 AM

They were not real human hair and by this time they were not putting them on the heads.