PDA

View Full Version : THE SUPREMES [[Scherrie, Mary & Cindy) on Soul Train 1975

test

blackguy69
04-19-2020, 03:21 PM
https://youtu.be/Nx9isVpmA4g

marv2
04-19-2020, 04:48 PM
This was not the first time I saw this grouping of the Supremes on TV, but it was this appearance the made me feel that the group was truly back and on the right track. Thank you Blackguy69.

kenneth
04-20-2020, 10:25 AM
This was not the first time I saw this grouping of the Supremes on TV, but it was this appearance the made me feel that the group was truly back and on the right track. Thank you Blackguy69.

It must’ve been a heady experience for Mary to be able to appear on a show with the new group and get enough air time to sing four songs, all of which she sings lead or co-lead on. Really a great spotlight for the groups album.

That album, Supremes 75, was the first album I ever bought by the group except for the two earlier greatest hits packages. Of course I knew Diana Ross had been the singer earlier but I really didn’t follow the comings and going‘s very much. But I love that album and looking back I still feel that this really was like a new group. They had more adult material and their album was actually cohesive and not a collection of singles. I thought it was definitely a step forward and I loved it at the time without even thinking about such implications for the group overall.

marv2
04-20-2020, 10:56 AM
This was one of my favorite cuts from that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wVwIri6kE

sup_fan
04-20-2020, 11:15 AM
It must’ve been a heady experience for Mary to be able to appear on a show with the new group and get enough air time to sing four songs, all of which she sings lead or co-lead on. Really a great spotlight for the groups album.

That album, Supremes 75, was the first album I ever bought by the group except for the two earlier greatest hits packages. Of course I knew Diana Ross had been the singer earlier but I really didn’t follow the comings and going‘s very much. But I love that album and looking back I still feel that this really was like a new group. They had more adult material and their album was actually cohesive and not a collection of singles. I thought it was definitely a step forward and I loved it at the time without even thinking about such implications for the group overall.

great memories Kenneth. always fun to hear everyone's different thoughts and perspective

for me, this was not a high point. The outfits didn't look very good - that giant pink wool thing, the old purple bell bottoms. Frankly the outfits are not flattering, especially on Cindy. and the group just didn't really look contemporary. And i'm not a fan of the Mary leads. Where Is It I Belong is among the worst/dumbest songs they ever recorded. But i'm also not a huge fan of Sup 75. to me, it's just generic disco

Now the two MSS appearances are much stronger. The music is also better. Walking is just a great song and Scherrie just owns it! definitely not generic IMO

marv2
04-20-2020, 12:23 PM
They looked and sounded great in my opinion. I loved Mary Wilson's leads and the group appeared cohesive again. This was a great appearance to really start the new era of the Supremes!

kenneth
04-21-2020, 06:07 PM
@sup_fan, I didn't notice the costumes that much in the clip from Soul Train. Overall though, I always thought the girls seemed somewhat younger when Scherrie joined the group and they changed their style of stage dress. I was barely a teenager when Diane left the group, but I always found the Diane-era gowns and wigs kind of quaint to my eyes, and always thought the post-Jean [[at least) lineups seemed younger and hipper. I still think the Scherrie years to be the most outstanding lineup musically although of course they couldn't compete with the hit material they had during Diane's, and even Jean's, tenures.

marv2
04-21-2020, 07:36 PM
I remember now. The same day they appeared on Soul Train, they also appeared on American Bandstand. The shows were obviously taped. They were great on both shows.

gman
04-23-2020, 02:07 PM
best Soul Train performance IMO?.....Jean's live work...visually and vocally MSC had a great think going. Cindy's return "cemented", and her 2nd departure "unglued" the group. Although I liked the MSS Lp a lot...it is my top 10, I wish Cindy stayed. She is my absolute favorite 3rd girl