PDA

View Full Version : A Storm of Reissues

test

nabob
03-23-2011, 10:33 PM
I'd be interested in hearing how others feel about the new storm of releases that have been coming for several months and those planned for later in the year. It seems that there are so many after trickles and dry spells. I'm overjoyed at the prospect of having long awaited treasures once again available. At the same time, my passions have moved away from collecting music to other arenas. Since the money is being planned for those other endeavors, the product has to be guaranteed to command my ears before the cash is surrendered. Collecting reference material is not in the cards. At present, I have such a large library and so much music that hasn't been played for years. The desire to collect which drove an OCD type behavior over the last 40 years has been replaced.

Think Blinky, Ivy Jo, Nancy Wilson, Peabo Bryson, Tata Vega, the Monitors, 70s Supremes, Dynamic Superiors, Patrice Holloway, the Originals, Dennis Edwards as the list goes on and on. There's a lot to be excited about.

imnokid
03-24-2011, 12:07 AM
None of those mentioned excites me. But there is a new Etta release with lots of material on CD for the first time that I plan on getting.

robbert
03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
I can imagine it's hard to get excited about anything anymore, the human race has been thoroughly 'spoiled' with good music for soooo many abundant decades... nevertheless, I would welcome a reissue or two by some of the names Nabob mentions. And that includes Etta.

Kamasu_Jr
03-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I'd be interested in hearing how others feel about the new storm of releases that have been coming for several months and those planned for later in the year. It seems that there are so many after trickles and dry spells. I'm overjoyed at the prospect of having long awaited treasures once again available. At the same time, my passions have moved away from collecting music to other arenas. Since the money is being planned for those other endeavors, the product has to be guaranteed to command my ears before the cash is surrendered. Collecting reference material is not in the cards. At present, I have such a large library and so much music that hasn't been played for years. The desire to collect which drove an OCD type behavior over the last 40 years has been replaced.

Think Blinky, Ivy Jo, Nancy Wilson, Peabo Bryson, Tata Vega, the Monitors, 70s Supremes, Dynamic Superiors, Patrice Holloway, the Originals, Dennis Edwards as the list goes on and on. There's a lot to be excited about.

I was wondering what reissues you were speaking of. There is a lot going on in terms of Motown. Motown was always more aggressive than other labels. But there are a lot of reissues coming from other artists.

My biggest complaint is a lot of this music is coming back to America as imported music when it was made here in the first place. This allows companies like Soulmusic.com to charge customers more money...sometimes three times as much as they might have paid for albums by Peabo Bryson, Nancy Wilson and Billy Preston the first time around. BUT I guess that's inflation.

I still buy what I'm interested in, which tends to be almost everything, which is why I often bitch and complain A LOT, because I'm always spending money on music. I'm always listening & reviewing music from a consumer's viewpoint. I should be on several companies' mailing lists.

I bought that Etta James reissue on ACE/Kent because it contained songs I was not familiar with. I was not disappointed. Etta is/was just unreal. The label was smart is putting out an Etta disc that didn't contain the same old hits like Tell Mama & At Last.

I was not 100 percent happy with Manhattan Soul, a compilation aimed at the Northern Soul market. I just don't get a lot of the interest in a lot of obscure or songs that flopped in the US. Some artists & songs are obscure in the U.S. because they sucked.

I tend to think we are seeing so much music because copyright laws are different in Europe and companies there have more access to licensing it than before. But if it doesn't sell, what then? I never hear any of this stuff played on the radio where I live. If soul music fans are not members of a forum like DF, how are they finding out about it all?

vcq
03-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Some artists & songs are obscure in the U.S. because they sucked.

Too true! I've been checking out some of the British Outta Sight obscure soul releases like Dial 3 for Northern Soul and Sound of Sidra, and it's like a lottery: sometimes you hit upon genuinely good songs [[and artists), but most of the time there's a reason this stuff was lost to history! Nevertheless, I'm still going to pick up Ace's Music City Story at the Tower Records in Nagoya this weekend even though I've never heard of 99.99% of the artists on the label, because it's worth it to me to hit upon those hidden gems [[kind of like stumbling over Charles Sheffield's "It's Your Voodoo Working" as the background music to a foreign commercial).

soulster
03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Any specific album titles? I can't get excited by just names of artists.

RossHolloway
03-24-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm excited about the Motown releases and will buy them all. I usually buy off Amazon.com and rarely pay retail. You can get some excellent deals off that site. And what's in the works for Nancy Wilson?

Kamasu_Jr
03-24-2011, 04:09 PM
i usually buy off amazon.com and rarely pay retail. You can get some excellent deals off that site. And what's in the works for nancy wilson?

Nancy Wilson's All in Love is Fair/Come Get to This... albums are available as a two on one disc from Soulmusic.com. Amazon has it. The albums are on disc for the first time in the US .

soulster
03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
I miss the old ICE Newsletter. It gave listings of all new and reissues for the month.

tamla617
03-24-2011, 04:21 PM
its brilliant,if it wasnt for the internet i dont think half of them would have ever seen the light of day.
thanks to sdf,motowntreasures and a whole lot more,people discuss artists etc for all to see [[on most forums) the record company "spies" can see what the fans want and know they will sell.we're are being tapped for ideas for release.its a great way to get sure fire sales.the tammi set got in the amazon chart on pre orders alone.

its ace! no pun intended!

RossHolloway
03-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Nancy Wilson's All in Love is Fair/Come Get to This albums are available as a two on one disc from Soulmusic.com. Amazon has it. The albums are on disc for the first time.

Excellent. I was first turned on to Nancy Wilson by my father years ago. She has one of the sexiest speaking voices on this earth. She stops me in my tracks whenever I hear her speak. Love her jazz profile show on NPR.

tamla617
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
rossholloway
kamasu just beat me to it about nancy wilsons 2fer cd. its on sale at trackmailorder.co.uk for £13.49 post free uk and only £1 overseas.
come get to this was released on cd before,but only in japan

Kamasu_Jr
03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Excellent. I was first turned on to Nancy Wilson by my father years ago. She has one of the sexiest speaking voices on this earth. She stops me in my tracks whenever I hear her speak. Love her jazz profile show on NPR.

ALL RIGHT. But let me add these Nancy albums were more in the Seventies soul or R&B mode. She made the SOUL charts with these two.

mr soul
03-24-2011, 04:43 PM
One of the premier vocalists in contemporary music, song stylist NANCY WILSON recorded over thirty albums for Capitol Records during her twenty-one years with the label [[1959-1980)
· While her early work focused more on her jazz leanings, by the mid-`70s, the singer was looking to expand her audience. Working with Executive Producer Larkin Arnold [[then-newly appointed head of the Black Music department at Capitol), Wilson teamed up with producer Gene Page [[known for his superlative arranging work with Barry White and Marvin Gaye among many others) in 1974.

· The initial result of their pairing was ALL IN LOVE IS FAIR, a collection of material that put Nancy right into a contemporary soul vein. She scored her first Top 10 R&B hit in a decade with her rendition of The Stylistics' `You're As Right As Rain' [[written by Thom Bell & Linda Creed). The LP also included songs written by Stevie Wonder [[the stunning title track), Ray Parker Jr. [[`Ocean Of Love,' a favourite among the UK rare groove crowd) and Wilson herself [[the biting `Tell The Truth').

· The response to ALL IN LOVE IS FAIR prompted Nancy, producer Page and his brother Billy to record the 1975 set COME GET TO THIS. Once again, an all-star cast of musicians [[including Crusaders Joe Sample and Wilton Felder) was on hand to provide the perfect L.A. groove for Wilson's trademark vocalising. Highlights including Wilson's take on James Taylor's `Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight,' `If I Ever Lose This Heaven' and the R&B hit `He Called Me Baby' along with the Marvin Gaye-penned title track.

The above is the description from the Amazon UK site on sale @ £10.45 postage free to UK customers.

nabob
03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Any specific album titles? I can't get excited by just names of artists.

Blinky: Sunny & Warm is slated with a few bonus tracks
Ivy Jo: In This Bag [upcoming]
Nancy Wilson: Come Get to This / All Is Fair in Love Import already released
Peabo Bryson: Reaching for the Sky / Crosswinds Import
Tata Vega: Full Speed Ahead / Totally Tata Import
The Monitors: Say You! The Motown Anthology 1963 - 1968 Greetings and 12 bonus tracks
70s Supremes: Compilation
Dynamic Superiors: Dynamic Superiors / Pure Pleasure Import already released
Patrice Holloway: A Compilation, Import
The Originals: California Sunset Import
Dennis Edwards: Don't Look Any Further Import

There are others that can be found in reviewing recent and old threads.

Kamasu_Jr
03-25-2011, 04:05 AM
Blinky: Sunny & Warm is slated with a few bonus tracks
Ivy Jo: In This Bag [upcoming]
Nancy Wilson: Come Get to This / All Is Fair in Love Import already released
Peabo Bryson: Reaching for the Sky / Crosswinds Import
Tata Vega: Full Speed Ahead / Totally Tata Import
The Monitors: Say You! The Motown Anthology 1963 - 1968 Greetings and 12 bonus tracks
70s Supremes: Compilation
Dynamic Superiors: Dynamic Superiors / Pure Pleasure Import already released
Patrice Holloway: A Compilation, Import
The Originals: California Sunset Import
Dennis Edwards: Don't Look Any Further Import

There are others that can be found in reviewing recent and old threads.

To add to Nabob's list are a couple of expensive box sets:
Rake A Look: The Complete Columbia - Aretha Franklin [[released)

Phil Spector Original Albums by Ronettes, Crystals & Others [[June)

thommg
03-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I miss the old ICE Newsletter. It gave listings of all new and reissues for the month.

I thought I was the only one who missed that magazine! I LOVED it. They gave you so much information on new releases, recordings that were released - and the interviews with reissue producers and label execs really helped understand the thought process that was being used to get the music out.

tsull1
03-26-2011, 01:32 PM
One mistake I made many years ago when CD's were taking off was to get rid of a lot of my vinyl. I had friends telling me, "Man, vinyl sounds awful, you want to get rid of it." I thankfully kept all my O'Jays, Spinners, Temptations, Motown, and others, but foolishly let some gems get away [[Dramatics "Drama V" and Main Ingredient's "Euphrates River"). I've replaced Main Ingedient on vinyl and a previously lost one, "Black and Blue" by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. I'm working on Drama V right now.

I'm way behind in my collection compared to nabob and others here. While I think it's extensive, it's minor league compared to others here, so there's always something for me to buy. Just thought of another one: "Destiny" by The Jacksons, had it on vinyl, can't find it. Luckily, I have seen this one on CD all over the place. So there's plenty of work for me to do.

In turn, I just discovered importcds.com, an excellent site with many great import CD's. I have plenty of catching up to do and welcome all the re-issues that are sent out there.

pshark
03-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I miss the old ICE Newsletter. It gave listings of all new and reissues for the month.You never checked out Dustygroove.com [[http://www.dustygroove.com/upcoming.php) upcoming releases?

Motown_M_1056
03-26-2011, 02:00 PM
You never checked out Dustygroove.com [[http://www.dustygroove.com/upcoming.php) upcoming releases?

It is a good place/site to check for upcoming releases, but it does not list everything. I'm appreciating all of the consumer information by Kamasu. Nabob and others.