PDA

View Full Version : Motown From The Inside - Part 2

test

woodward
04-16-2020, 06:18 PM
After about three months at this location on James Couzens Avenue, we were informed that we were moving to the Woodward Avenue building. One of the companies that had a lease was leaving the center, and the large area we needed would now be available. The move was made on the following weekend and we began doing business once again at the Motown Center building. There was still one company [[a security business) leasing a small section on that floor, but it was partitioned off, so there was no conflict.

There were about 10 people employed with Hitsville Distributing at that time. The head honcho was Gordon Prince. He was district manager and head of operations for the midwest, as well as Motown's Hitsville branch in Toronto, Canada. Gordon was once the Vice President in charge of sales during the early years of Motown Record Corporation under then President Barney Ales. Berry Gordy, Jr. was Chairman of Motown Industries.

Larry Rochon was branch Manager, but I'll have to decline comment on his performance in that capacity [[and how he acquired that position).

Thelma Leverette was the office manager, and one of the finest professional as well as sweetest ladies that was employed with the company when Motown Records was still operating out of Detroit. She was Executive Secretary to Barney Ales. Thelma's sister was once married to Ronnie White of the Miracles. Her husband Chico Leverette was once a member of Motown's first vocal group the Satintones. As you know, he also had a single release on Tamla [[#54024 Solid Sender), one of the very first releases on Tamla.

Ray Henderson was hired as as local promotion man for the company. Previous to this, he had been a disk jockey on one of the R&B stations in Detroit. He was hired by Barney Ales. Mr. Andre Morgan handles National Promotions. He had been with Motown for quite some time and was well respected for his abilities and expertise in that field. Today Morgan does his own independent promotions out of Cleveland, Ohio.

Charlie Salah was in charge of National Sales, and I he is still with the company. He was a very aggressive person and Motown could not have found a better person for that position. I believe that both he and Ray Henderson are still with Motown, working out of the offices at MCA Records in Detroit. There were two other people that worked at the company that had not been in the business before they were hired on. Thelma's assistant Judy, and a chap called Joe. Joe worked in the warehouse with Tommy Chapman. If that rings a bell to you Motowners, you'll recall that Tommy had been married to Florence Ballard [[and was once Berry Gordy's chauffeur). I must say that this came as a big surprise to see this man pulling orders, as well as loading and unloading trucks, as well as doing most of the deliveries to local record stores [[what a slap in the face!).

I remember seeing Tommy when I had worked previously at West Grand Boulevard in the mid 60's but we never spoke except for a quick hello. But this time around, Tommy and I got to know each other very well, and I fondly remember those long conversation after work sitting in that Cadillac parked at the rear of Motown centre, sipping away at wine out of those small dixie cups. He would tell me stories about the Supremes problems, and how Berry Gordy and Diana Ross conspired to get Florence out of the group. He did speak very highly of Mary Wilson and stated that she was one of the very few people who tried to stick with Flo and offer encouragement when she was experiencing legal and personal problems. Tommy was very bitter toward Motown and Berry Gordy, stating that Gordy not only cheated Flo out of money but also took away her dignity when he had her sign a paper releasing her of any ties she had with the Supremes. This meant, of course, that Florence could not ever use the name of the group in any statement that she ever been associated with the Supremes. Of course, there are Two Sides to every story and it is common knowledge now that Flo was not holding up her part in the group. She gained weight, missed appointments, and concert dates and was in constant termoil with the girls and Berry Gordy and was also drinking very heavily.

Too be continued ..............

luckyluckyme
04-16-2020, 08:03 PM
It's good to hear an insider putting things in perspective and telling both sides of the story. As the saying goes 'It takes 2 to tango' but in this case, and often in most stories, it took more than 2.