PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes In The Orient 1966 [[Diana, Mary, & Florence)

test

blackguy69
04-16-2020, 04:48 PM
https://youtu.be/TgidwMCnWgA

sup_fan
04-16-2020, 05:21 PM
my understanding was this was taped with the idea of potentially becoming a TV special in 66 or [[more likely) 67

Laurent
04-17-2020, 02:03 AM
It's a possibility. I found some articles in the newspaper archives saying that they were planning a tv special for the Supremes in 1967. But some part a so terribly edited it's no wonder that it never occured [[if they were planning to use it of course). Nevertheless, it's a very interesting documentary, at least for us, that should be released as bonus of, let's say, a Definitive Permormances VOL 2 dvd !

Laurent
04-17-2020, 02:11 AM
This also make me think of another film in which the Supremes starred and that was made to promote the United Foundation in 1967. It's a 17 minutes film in 16 mm probably shot around April and June or July 1967. To my knowledge it never surfaced since.
I've put pictures of that film in the April part of the Timeline 1967:

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/index.htm

sup_fan
04-17-2020, 11:46 AM
well remember that the picture tube quality on most home tv's wasn't all that great back in the 60s. and of course the versions we've seen are bootlegs that have been dubbed again and again.

they used a few brief clips in a few motown specials, like 25th. and the definition is much much better

but i do agree, some of the cuts and edits are abrupt. it's possible that they were going to use bits and pieces and maybe insert interviews with the girls and other content. i don't know that they would have just run the tape we fans have as the entire special.

or it could have been used on somehting like Ed Sullivan or Hollywood Palace or another show. maybe using bits and pieces

Ollie9
04-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Shame about the quality, but I have always enjoyed this. A rare glimpse of life on the road for the Supremes.. The concert clips really capture the excitement. and all three girls sound great. I wonder if a more complete version exists?.
Everyone talks about the drama, but I bet they had a lot of fun to.

marv2
04-17-2020, 01:57 PM
This also make me think of another film in which the Supremes starred and that was made to promote the United Foundation in 1967. It's a 17 minutes film in 16 mm probably shot around April and June or July 1967. To my knowledge it never surfaced since.

Thank you Laurent! I hope you are staying safe.

sup_fan
04-17-2020, 02:01 PM
yeah the girls look great and they all get camera time. it wasn't so totally focused on Diana. shows their personalities, life on the road, performances, back stage, etc.

If it had been released, i think it would have done well. people would have definitely watched. tuned in to see America's Sweethearts in action

marv2
04-19-2020, 12:11 AM
I always enjoy watching this. They were all so young. Florence was absolutely beautiful. I really feel that The Supremes should have been millionaires several times over back then with all the concerts, record sales and television work they did.

Laurent
04-19-2020, 11:40 AM
Thank you Laurent! I hope you are staying safe.

I am, and I hope you do to, you and all the group.

Laurent
04-19-2020, 11:46 AM
well remember that the picture tube quality on most home tv's wasn't all that great back in the 60s. and of course the versions we've seen are bootlegs that have been dubbed again and again.

they used a few brief clips in a few motown specials, like 25th. and the definition is much much better

but i do agree, some of the cuts and edits are abrupt. it's possible that they were going to use bits and pieces and maybe insert interviews with the girls and other content. i don't know that they would have just run the tape we fans have as the entire special.

or it could have been used on somehting like Ed Sullivan or Hollywood Palace or another show. maybe using bits and pieces

If you re-read my post, you'll see that the picture quality of the video was never in question :o I am pretty aware of what it is and was on tv at that time, and also that the original footage is in pristine quality.

RanRan79
04-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Yes, hope this surfaces somewhere soon. Would be great to see, especially with it being a Flo era film.

reese
04-20-2020, 03:16 PM
If you re-read my post, you'll see that the picture quality of the video was never in question :o I am pretty aware of what it is and was on tv at that time, and also that the original footage is in pristine quality.

Laurent, this is off topic but I went to your website today and was astounded by all of the detail. I look forward to your venturing into Diana's solo years.

Laurent
04-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Laurent, this is off topic but I went to your website today and was astounded by all of the detail. I look forward to your venturing into Diana's solo years.

Thank you Reee, I am flattered - I'm blushing. Glad you like it.
I can't wait myself to reach the point to put some Diana's solo years pages online. I'm working as fast as possible [[would love to do just that but I have a real job for a living!). I'm currently working on the 1967 tvgraphy.