PDA

View Full Version : Where does Michael Jackson Fit In ?

test

paladin
03-23-2011, 06:37 PM
No this thread is not about Mr. Jackson's odd habits, plastic surgery or his other peculiarities. This is about his voice. I've noticed that in the thread that asks the question "Who is the best male soul vocalist? Michael was mentioned all of three times. The thread had about 38 replies and another 400 views. Oft times this is frustrating to me because people elect to lurk but not comment, which in some cases "kills" a thread that could be very provocative, enlightening and from my stand point educational, but thats a matter of choice and I can live with that.

While driving around today the local Chicago radio station was playing a few Michael Jackson songs and I thought of the aforementioned thread as well as asked myself the question, where would Michael fit in [[position wise) on my all time favorite vocalist chart. I am sure he would be in my top 100 but I am not so sure that he'd be in my top 50. I almost started a poll but really wasn't sure how to frame the question and of course there would probably be little or no public discourse. So I ask you dear readers where does Michael stand on your charts ? I don't need exact numbers mind you just a general idea.

I have actually had little to say about MJ over the past year since his biggest fan who used to post here has probably slit his wrists or jumped in front of an oncoming subway car. [[ sorry couldn't resist.:cool:)

I was a Michael Jackson fan although I was a bigger fan of other artists.
Furthermore let me state that hard as I tried, to rate Michael on his voice alone, I couldn't get his performances/ song and dance-out of my mind nor all the sordid details of this young mans life. Did these things affect my rating of Michael, to be truthful they probably did. Do they or have they affected yours ? Lets talk about it........maybe the media played a bigger role than I thought......the thread was about Soul Singers and I really didn't think of MJ, but if the thread had been about "POP" singers I would have listed him as number #1. See what I mean .......??????

Kamasu_Jr
03-23-2011, 08:13 PM
I know how you feel, conflicted. Like his friend Elizabeth TAYLOR, who passed today, Michael Jackson's personal life and strangeness OFTEN clouds or over shadows his musical GIFTS. I find it hard to rate him. He's certainly not my fav orite. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to him. I thought he was brilliant as a kid.

paladin
03-24-2011, 09:34 AM
We are on the same page here, I think he was immensely popular, but more often than not it was his performances or record production values that got the attention. Over the course of his life in his younger years it was his voice and showmanship along with his brothers, it seemed he could do no wrong. Even after their run and his first set of solo recorded performances he was still [[IMO) better known as a vocalist than a dancer, let's face it he was the best singer and dancer within the choreographed movements of The Jacksons. Then it was Motown 25 and Billie Jean and the world shifted. He became the most popular entertainer in the world. Those extended choreographed dance sequences that began with Thriller have become the standard for most young performers today. Ironically he was a solitary figure in Billie Jean. Personally I tend to gravitate toward his slow jams whereupon one could hear his voice and not be bothered by some of his annoying mannerisms and vocal ticks. By the way Kam, conflicted is a nice word and after reading my first post thats exactly what I said to myself.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mr soul
03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Right from the word go I have always considered Michael to be a pop singer, so he wouldn't even be on the radar if I'm asked who my favourite soul singer is, ask me who my favourite pop singer is, then he would probably/maybe [haven't decided yet] be considered.

splanky
03-27-2011, 07:25 AM
To answer your original question, kdubya, I've long have considered Michael to be
one of the best black male pop vocalist and feel that is what he wanted despite
his beginnings being very much rooted in soul music. Michael as a kid was quite taken
with classic soul and with his brothers turned out some fine covers of artists as diverse
as The Delfonics and Funkadelic and Michael we know loved James Brown. As a grown up he sought the title King of Pop and like a few others like Lionel Ritchie put behind him
a concentration on Black target audiences for what he viewed as a kind of universal appeal. It worked too but the paradox is many black as well as white, chinese, mexican,
indian, whatever fans and critics, don't think of Michael when it comes to soul. Oh well...
the kid I heard singing Smokey Robinson's Who's Lovin' You certainly had it.
Anyway, as far as view's vrs replies on threads, I don't look as non commenting acts as
lurking per se, especially as far as members of the forum go. Often I'll take a gander at
some threads just to see responses though they are posed in a way that I in general don't particularly care to get involved in. "Best" "--- versus---", "...Of All Time" are
all indications that I'd be wasting my time. I know a lot of people love that stuff but it's
not me....

paladin
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
As a grown up he sought the title King of Pop and like a few others like Lionel Ritchie put behind him
a concentration on Black target audiences for what he viewed as a kind of universal appeal. It worked too but the paradox is many black as well as white, chinese, mexican,indian, whatever fans and critics, don't think of Michael when it comes to soul. Oh well...the kid I heard singing Smokey Robinson's Who's Lovin' You certainly had it.

Splanky, Dam right he had it, I agree with your assessment, although I must admit that I was never one to strictly adhere to the labels assigned to industry stars. If it sounded good to me I either bought it or listened to it which I guess means in short that I enjoyed the music. Moreover I was painfully aware of what was considered to be Soul music, jazz and classical music and of course disco, the term "pop" really caught me by surprise. But after having it repeatedly drummed into my head, I got it, rap and hip hop would soon follow.

Maybe I used the term "lurker" inappropriately. I myself have hardly ever responded in a Supreme thread, although I view them just on the chance that I may learn something new, more often than not I am not surprised by all the vitriolic statements and flame wars that occur even if someone asks a simple question. As David Byrne might remark.....same as it ever was.....and yet the point I was trying to make is I truly miss the thoughtful and salient discussions from the old forum. There seems to be less of that now a days.

Mr Soul, your viewpoint is interesting, Michael has a very distinctive voice yet I never considered him a pop singer until "he decided and announced to the world that was what he was singing and he was The King". .........Lionel Richie was a totally different story he went from funk, to soul, to country, to pop and it was clear what he was doing, with Michael I'm not so sure. I guess thats a part of his legacy, to always keep you guessing...........

splanky
03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
"the point I was trying to make is I truly miss the thoughtful and salient discussions from the old forum. There seems to be less of that now a days. ".....

I get your point and you're right. I too miss those discussions. Once upon a time I believed the biggest threats to the forum
were the disturbing rants of the fore mentioned MJ fanatic and maybe a couple of other propeller heads but now I fear it's
a complacency that has been settling in. I think a lot of it may be related to the world we now find ourselves in; seems like
everyone and I', including myself has become more irritable in general. It's also funny you should mention The Supremes because sometimes I'll want to talk about a particular track but don't want to get caught in the middle of a cat fight between two fanatics fighting 30 year old squabbles...O well, life goes on...

jillfoster
03-27-2011, 03:03 PM
I think Michael had a strikingly beautiful voice as a child... but later on, sang in a style that was annoying as hell. "Music and Me", and "Ben" as just beautiful in every way..... everything from 1979 on, nothing but crap. And if he'd just not done all the weird stuff, then he would be remembered more for his talent. But when you act is some bizarre way, that's what happens. You jsut gotta suck it up and deal. So where does he fit in? With Wal-mart...... they both sell TONS of stuff, make LOTS of money, and they both have little boys' pants half off! LOL