PDA

View Full Version : RIP Elizabeth Taylor

test

marv2
03-23-2011, 09:16 AM
CNN just announced the death of Elizabeth Taylor. She was one of the greatest actresses of the 20th Century. I'll always remember her as "Martha" in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf!" my favorite.

RIP Elizabeth and thanks for all the great entertainment.

Marv

KevLo
03-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

Yes I just heard this on the Channel 5 Fox News R.I.P Elizabeth Taylor

juicefree20
03-23-2011, 10:35 AM
One of the most striking beauties in Hollywood in her heyday & definitely one of the biggest icons of her era. She did a lot of great work with her crusading for AIDS, at a time when such a thing wasn't very popular.

It's being reported that she passed of congestive heart failure & I wasn't aware that she had been hospitalized for the past 6 weeks.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=636902&GT1=28101

R.I.P Elizabeth Taylor

selbmarsh2000
03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Her fight for people with AIDS make her a saint in my eyes.

catwoman55
03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
This is, indeed, sad news :[[ I don't admire many Hollywood folks - old or new - but I always admired this lady. Of course, Liz Taylor was no angel, but she certainly carried herself as a grand lady, even amidst all kinds of scandal. From all reports, too, that I've seen over the years, she was extremely loyal to friends - Michael Jackson comes to mind, here, as well as some of the older Hollywood stars that she befriended years ago, e.g., Rock Hudson, Montgomery Clift, etc. No matter what shape she was in, this lady always seemed beautiful, to me. Plus, she could cut interviewers off with a quick "None of your business"-type of comment...could also curse with the best of 'em...LOL Liz Taylor proved to be a great actress, too.

RIP and God bless her.

Cat

sophisticated_soul
03-23-2011, 12:38 PM
A great actress. A great humanitarian. A lovely lady. Rest in peace Elizabeth Taylor. Thank you for your time and love.
-Joseph

timmyfunk
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I was never a fan of hers and I didn't really care for her movies. But she was definitely a Hollywood icon. No question about it. R.I.P.

pshark
03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
CNN just announced the death of Elizabeth Taylor. She was one of the greatest actresses of the 20th Century. I'll always remember her as "Martha" in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf!" my favorite.

RIP Elizabeth and thanks for all the great entertainment.

MarvHow shocking! WAOVW is a great movie. Cat On A Hot Thin Roof would be mine.

Kamasu_Jr
03-23-2011, 08:20 PM
She wouldn't say she was a great actress, but good and competent with the right material and director, but not great. Bette Davis & Katherine Hepburn were great.

TCM WILL AIR HER FILMS ON APRIL 10TH. RIP ELIZABETH TAYLOR.

mark speck
03-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Just an amazing talent, and quite a loss...RIP, Miss Taylor, and thank you... :[[

Best,

Mark

smark21
03-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Elizabeth Taylor's greatest cinematic moment, IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEuFNnJSIw8

pshark
03-23-2011, 10:27 PM
LASSIE COMES HOME [[http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/55547829) in its entirety

msjoys
03-23-2011, 10:56 PM
"I was born as Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor in London, England on February 27, 1932. Although I was born an English subject, my parents were American who were art dealers from St. Louis, Missouri. My father had gone to London to set up a gallery. My mother had been an actress on the stage, but gave up that vocation when she married. I lived in London for the first seven years of my life before my family left when the dark clouds of war began brewing in 1939. My family sailed without my father who stayed behind to wrap up the loose ends of the art business. The family relocated to Los Angeles, California where my mother's own family had moved. My father followed not long afterward. A family friend noticed me and suggested that I be taken for a screen test. I passed and was signed to a contract with Universal Studios. My first foray onto the silver screen was in the film, called a short, There's One Born Every Minute [[1942) released in 1942 when I was ten. Universal let the contract drop after the one film and I was picked up by MGM. The first production I made with them was Lassie Come
Home [[1943).On the strength of that one film, MGM signed me to a full year. My next two films were minuscule parts in 1944, White Cliffs of Dover, The [[1944) and Jane Eyre [[1944). The former was made while I was on loan to Fox Studios. Then came the film that made me a star, MGM's National Velvet in 1944. I played Velvet Brown opposite Mickey Rooney. The film was a smash hit grossing over $4 million. Now I had a long term contract with MGM and was their top child star. With no films in 1945, I returned in 1946 in Courage Of Lassie . In 1947, when I was 15, I starred in Life with Father co-starring with such cinema heavyweights as 'William Powell' , Irene Dunne, and 'ZaSu Pitts' . Thoughout the balance of the 40s and into the early 50s, I appeared in film after film with mostly good results. 1954 proved my busiest year to date with roles in Rhapsody , Beau Brummell , Last Time I Saw Paris, The and Elephant Walk . I was 22 and, now, a beautiful young woman. In 1956, I appeared in the hit Giant with James Dean. Sadly, Dean never saw the release of the film as he died in a car accident in 1955. The next year saw me star in Raintree County [[1957), an overblown film made, partially, in Kentucky. The film was said to be dry as dust. Despite the shortcomings of the film, I was nominated for an Academy Award for my portrayal of Southern belle, Susanna Drake.
Unfortunately forme , the honor went to Joanne Woodward for Three Faces Of Eve, The [[1957) , on Oscar night. In 1958, I starred as Maggie Pollitt, in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof . The film received rave reviews from the critics and I was nominated again for another Academy Award for best actress - losing to 'Susan Hayward' in I Want To Live [[1958) . I was a hot commodity in the film world. In 1959, I again appeared in another mega-hit and again another nomination for Suddenly, Last Summer . And once again, I lost, this time to Simone Signoret in Room At The Top [[1959) . My Oscar drought ended in 1960 when I landed the coveted honor at last. As Gloria Wandrous in Butterfield 8 , I performed flawlessly in the role of a call-girl who is involved with a married man and who later dies in an auto accident. Some of the critics blasted the movie but they couldn't ignore my performance. There were no more films for me for three years. I had left MGM after my contract ran out, but would do projects for them later down the road. In 1963, I starred in Cleopatra [[1963) which was one of the most expensive productions to date, as was my salary,a whopping $1,000,000. This was also the film where I met my future and fifth husband, Richard Burton. [[The previous four were, Conrad Hilton, Michael Wilding, 'Michael Todd [[I)' [[who died in a plane crash) and Eddie Fisher). My next
handful of films were lackluster at best, especially 1963's V.I.P.s, The [[1963) which was torn apart by most critics. I was to return to fine form with my role of Martha in 1966's Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? [[1966) . The role as a loudmouth unkempt woman easily was my finest personal performance to date. For this I would win my second Oscar and one that was more than well-deserved. My films afterward didn't approach the intensity of that one. Since then I have appeared in several films, both for the silver screen and television. I also have appeared on a number of TV programs. My last was 1994's The Flinstones. In February 1997, I entered the hospital for the removal of a brain tumor. The operation was successful. As for my private life, I divorced Burton in 1974, only to remarry him in 1975 and divorce, permanently, in 1976. I have had two husbands since, Senator John Warner and Larry Fortensky." [[On MySpace Blurb) - Rest In Heavenly Peace Elizabeth - This world will certainly miss you.

marv2
03-23-2011, 11:44 PM
How shocking! WAOVW is a great movie. Cat On A Hot Thin Roof would be mine.

I loved the part where as her husband "George" put it....."showed her ugly talents", hehehehehe!

arrr&bee
03-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Liz was one of those stars that always seemed to be around,she was ok and fine too...r.i.p.

stephanie
03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
When I saw that she had died the morning it was announced I was aghast. She was a class act and didnt mind telling it like it is. Miss you Miss Taylor. My favorite film of hers is Virginia Woolf and when she was on I Love Lucy and the ring Richard Burton got her was stuck on Lucys finger.

marv2
03-24-2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.toledoblade.com/frontpage/2011/03/24/Elizabeth-Taylor-to-be-interred-at-Forest-Lawn.html

Elizabeth Taylor interred at same cemetery as Michael Jackson
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Facebook Twitter Reddit Digg E-mail Print Rss
GLENDALE, Calif. — Elizabeth Taylor's family mourned the screen legend in a brief private funeral service Thursday at a Southern California cemetery famous for being the final resting place of Hollywood celebrities, including her good friend Michael Jackson.

Inside the sprawling Forest Lawn Cemetery, barricades blocked access to the funeral, where about four dozen family members mourned the actress for about an hour, said Glendale police spokesman Tom Lorenz. Five black stretch limousines transported Taylor's family to the funeral, but no procession was held.

Taylor died early Wednesday of congestive heart failure while surrounded by her four children at Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she had been hospitalized for about six weeks.

Taylor, who was infamously married eight times to seven husbands, converted to Judaism before her 1959 wedding to Eddie Fisher. Jewish customs call for a burial within 48 hours of death.

In addition to Jackson, the cemetery is the final resting place for such stars as Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, W.C. Fields, Red Skelton, Gracie Allen, Walt Disney and Nat King Cole.

Taylor, the star of such films as Butterfield 8, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, and Cleopatra, won three Academy Awards, including a special one for her humanitarian work. She was an ardent and early supporter of AIDS research, when HIV was new to the industry and beyond.

"I admired Elizabeth Taylor enormously and feel heartsick losing her, especially with all of her charitable works," said Ann Berry, a fan and character actress who lives nearby and visited the cemetery with a friend to pay their respects to the star.

Several television news crews documented the service from across the street while news helicopters swirled overhead and students got out of class at the nearby Cerritos Elementary School.

Taylor underwent at least 20 major operations during her life and nearly died from a bout with pneumonia in 1990. In 1994 and 1995, she had both hip joints replaced, and in February 1997, she underwent surgery to remove a benign brain tumor. In 1983, she acknowledged a 35-year addiction to sleeping pills and pain killers, and was treated for alcohol and drug abuse at the Betty Ford Clinic in Rancho Mirage, Calif.

Survivors include Taylor's daughters Maria Burton-Carson and Liza Todd-Tivey, sons Christopher and Michael Wilding, 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Taylor's publicist said any details of a memorial service would likely be announced at a later date.

selbmarsh2000
03-24-2011, 08:32 PM

There's this great pub in West Hollywood called The Abbey where my husband and I used to hang out at when we lived in WeHo. We also had lunch w/ my family there when get got married.

Miss Taylor loved that place. They set up a memorial for her and I stopped by and dropped off flowers.

Oh, and true to form being the pigs that they are, the Westboro "Church" is planning to protest at her public memorial.

You know those assholes? They are the ones that protested at Matthew Sheppard's funeral and funerals of gay men that died of AIDS. They have also been protesting at funerals of our soliders.

Having lost a brother to AIDS, ANYONE that makes light of people that died of AIDS are piles of shit.

selbmarsh2000
03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
When I saw that she had died the morning it was announced I was aghast. She was a class act and didnt mind telling it like it is. Miss you Miss Taylor. My favorite film of hers is Virginia Woolf and when she was on I Love Lucy and the ring Richard Burton got her was stuck on Lucys finger.

That's funny you mention the Lucy connection. I tape recorded [[this was before VCR'S) that episode of "Here's Lucy".

pshark
03-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Tonight 11:00 PM pst/2:00 AM est
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/95743/Who-s-Afraid-of-Virginia-Woolf-/

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?[[1966)

Thursday, March 24 @ 02:00 AM only on TCM
MAIN Links
Overview Full Credits Full Synopsis Notes Music Screenplay Info Original Print Info Genre Keywords

data from AFI catalog
User Reviews Other Reviews Articles Money Awards Quotes Trivia Home Video Reviews Misc Notes Alternate Versions Theatrical Aspect Ratio Video Fan Sites
Contribute

FOR Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? [[1966) YOU CAN
UPLOAD AN IMAGE SUBMIT A VIDEO OR MOVIE CLIP ADD ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WRITE YOUR OWN REVIEW

TCM Messageboards
Post your comments here
ADD YOUR COMMENT>
share:

* Facebook
* Twitter
* Email
* Remind Me

TCMDb Archive MaterialsView all archives [[0)
DVDs from TCM Shop

Who's Afraid of Virginia... An academic couple reveal their deepest secret to a pair of newcomers during... MORE > $10.99Regularly $14.99 Buy Now
OVERVIEW