PDA

View Full Version : How about the Vogues?

test

floyjoy678
03-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Anybody a fan of the Vogues? Many might not consider them "blue-eyed soul" but they had some pretty good ones, mainly the rare and forgotten songs they had "True Lovers", "Please Mr. Sun", "That's the Tune" and I think "Magic Town" is a great song. Plus the guys had great harmony. I saw them recently, not all the originals, but the original lead singer and the original tenor is still performing with the group and they still sound great.

mark speck
03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I love all those early Vogues songs like the ones you mentioned, but I'm not crazy about the later Lettermen-style stuff they did.

Best,

Mark

Kamasu_Jr
03-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Anybody a fan of the Vogues? Many might not consider them "blue-eyed soul" but they had some pretty good ones, mainly the rare and forgotten songs they had "True Lovers", "Please Mr. Sun", "That's the Tune" and I think "Magic Town" is a great song. Plus the guys had great harmony. I saw them recently, not all the originals, but the original lead singer and the original tenor is still performing with the group and they still sound great.

The Vogues were about as far from being "blue-eyed soul" as you could get. They were always pop or easy listening even though songs like Magic Town and Five O' Clock World got airplay on Top 40 Stations.. Personally, my ear tends to like close harmonies and I liked the latter Lettrman's or Lounge type stuff the Vogues did. But I'm weird, I like the Lettermen, the Vogues, the Fifth Dimension and groups like Mercy and the Sandpipers. But what they all did was not soulful.

mr soul
03-22-2011, 01:35 AM
It's a 5 o clock world for me I can't sleep...like the song not heard anything else by them.

roger
03-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Hello all ..

"Five O'Clock World" is my favourite by them .. I think its a great record .. very similar in style and sentiment to "Poor Mans Son" by THE REFLECTIONS in my book.

Nothing else I've ever heard by them has really impressed me that much.

Roger

platters81
03-22-2011, 05:37 AM
"True Lovers" is a super tune......i read somewhere that the Four Chaps were in fact the Vogues with the take done in a more soulful style [[to my ears)....can anyone confirm this?

mikey
03-22-2011, 09:07 PM
They did a version of Major Harris' "Love won't let me wait" on a lp.