PDA

View Full Version : Jive Five on UA- who's who?

test

CliveR
03-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Can anyone on SDF identify the group members of the Jive Five on their UA album cover, please?

Thanks in hope!2730

hambonefunk
03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Eugene Pitt {far left}, Bea Best {far right} not sure of the three in the middle.

mark speck
03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't know which one he is, but I'm certain that Richard Fisher, a Clevelander like me, was in the group at the time.

Best,

Mark

mr soul
03-22-2011, 02:00 AM
According to Mitch Rosalsky "Encylopedia of R&B & Doo-Wop Vocal Groups" the other members could be [if I've understood correctly as I was confused when I first read it...& the first one to say what's new] Richard Harris, Casey Spencer & Thurmon "Billy" Prophet...I've no Idea of the order.

sunshineonacloudyday
03-22-2011, 03:42 AM
The Jive Five Complete UA CD from '92 has the same picture. Although not specifically listed as being in the same order as the photo, the liner notes state the group who recorded on UA consisted of:

Eugene Pitt [[original lead)
Norman Johnson [[original bass)
Casey Spencer [[second tenor and baritone; replaced Richard Harris)
Beatrice Best [[baritone; replaced Billy Prophet)
Webster Harris [[first tenor; replaced Jerome Hanna who died. Brother of original member, Richard.)

This has always bugged me; when individual members of a group are not identified by name in photos used for CD issue, while great effort is often spent on other minutiae. It couldn't be too hard to caption their names adjacent to the photos, "left to right..."

Love the group BTW!, have the Beltone CD as well as a few 45s.

CliveR
03-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all of your help in trying to resolve this- I finally arrived at the line-up of [[left to right) Eugene Pitt, Webster Harris, Casey Spencer, Norman Johnson, Beatrice Best.

The [[hopefully correct) captions will appear in the booklet of Shout! 73, due for release in April, comprising the Happy Man LP, two further Jive Five 45s from UA and both sides of Eugene's solo 45 on Veep.

Clive R

CliveR
03-22-2011, 07:20 PM
The Jive Five Complete UA CD from '92 has the same picture. Although not specifically listed as being in the same order as the photo, the liner notes state the group who recorded on UA consisted of:
This has always bugged me; when individual members of a group are not identified by name in photos used for CD issue, while great effort is often spent on other minutiae. It couldn't be too hard to caption their names adjacent to the photos, "left to right..."

If you still have the 1992 CD, any chance you could supply mp3 of 'In My Neighbourhood' and 'Then Came Heart Break' by e-mail to me at Solar.radio0129@gmail.com ?
Thanks in advance

mark speck
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Would that be the same Billy Prophet that did the Northern classic "What Can I Do?"?

Best,

Mark