PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes & Andy Williams - People Got To Be Free / Groovin' [[1970)

test

marv2
03-09-2020, 08:21 PM
-The sound quality on this is amazing! They all sound so good together. This show aired originally on September 19, 1970:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl30jhXpirQ

Circa 1824
03-09-2020, 08:51 PM
-The sound quality on this is amazing! They all sound so good together. This show aired originally on September 19, 1970:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl30jhXpirQ

Andy Williams had one of the greatest voices ever. The quality of his voice is astonishing. The Supremes singing in unison surprisingly sounded totally indistinguishable from any other female vocal trio.

marv2
03-09-2020, 09:19 PM
Andy Williams had one of the greatest voices ever. The quality of his voice is astonishing. The Supremes singing in unison surprisingly sounded totally indistinguishable from any other female vocal trio.

Except the Supremes were the greatest female group EVER! Oh and I totally disagree. Knowing their voices as I do, they are very identifiable from any other group.

sup_fan
03-10-2020, 10:52 AM
this is a fav performance of mine. loved these outfits and the medley. did they do any other tunes beside this and the Ladder/Everybody medley?

the girls are lip syncing here and Andy is live. then during the medley Jean is live while M and C are taped

reese
03-10-2020, 12:17 PM
this is a fav performance of mine. loved these outfits and the medley. did they do any other tunes beside this and the Ladder/Everybody medley?

the girls are lip syncing here and Andy is live. then during the medley Jean is live while M and C are taped

I believe they also appeared in a skit. Then during the goodbyes, they said something like "Goodnight Diana. Wherever you are." :)

milven
03-10-2020, 02:53 PM
I believe they also appeared in a skit. Then during the goodbyes, they said something like "Goodnight Diana. Wherever you are." :)

Here is the origin of Goodnight Diana Wherever you are. It is a play on Jimmy Durante
s sign off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWN97q7xtDE

TheMotownManiac
03-10-2020, 07:26 PM
I love seeing this clip as this is the best JMC ever looked on TV - very Supremes-y and Jean is superb in her transition from Diana - just the ideal presentation except for:

A) The medley is a hot mess jumping back and forth between songs ruins the effectiveness of both great performances.

B) that ill-advised closing line made them look like class-less idiots because it sounds Bitchy and snotty - plus “where ever you are” turned out to be in the number one position on both the hot 100, Soul singles and soul albums charts a feat JMC never came close to achieving - just a stupid, stupid thing to do.

sup_fan
03-11-2020, 10:38 AM
I think the "wherever you are" line was following a popular joke at the time - see the Jimmy Durante clip above. Today the joke is lost and can be misinterpreted

but the girls do look sensational here. per my earlier question, i find it a little odd they didn't perform another number. The little snippet of Groovin really doesn't count. They almost always did a standard along with their own hit song