PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Martin RIP

test

BayouMotownMan
03-04-2020, 09:22 PM
It was just announced on Facebook that Barbara Martin has passed in Detroit.

I interviewed her in 2013 for the ETH piece on Diana Ross. She was sweet and considered it, but I had the feeling her life was very different than those of her singing sisters and she was satisfied with having a family.

Condolensces to her family

captainjames
03-04-2020, 09:56 PM
So sorry to hear that. I was always curious about Barbara but it seemed she lived a very private life.

BayouMotownMan
03-04-2020, 10:02 PM
Correction, I interviewed her in 2003.

She seemed to me to be happy about the group's success but was not interested in living that kind of lifestyle.

thanxal
03-04-2020, 10:39 PM
Very sorry to read this. It is sad to hear of the passing of any of our Motown family. May She Rest In Peace.

marv2
03-04-2020, 10:43 PM
Rest in peace Barbara. God Bless Willie and the family.

Marv

Roberta75
03-04-2020, 10:55 PM
It was just announced on Facebook that Barbara Martin has passed in Detroit.

I interviewed her in 2013 for the ETH piece on Diana Ross. She was sweet and considered it, but I had the feeling her life was very different than those of her singing sisters and she was satisfied with having a family.

Condolensces to her family

RIP Nurse and former Supreme Barbara Martin. God speeds your journey home to our Lord and savior.

Bluebrock
03-05-2020, 03:15 AM
Very sad news. May she rest in eternal peace.

PeaceNHarmony
03-05-2020, 06:55 AM
If Ms. Martin had a full and happy life, it was her time and I wish her spirit well and her family wonderful memories.

sup_fan
03-05-2020, 11:35 AM
She stated in the interview for the Meet the Sup EE booklet that she was more than satisfied with her life decisions. she married her childhood sweetheart and, apparently, they had a full, loving and wonderful life.

marv2
03-05-2020, 12:34 PM
I thank God I had the chance to see and hear her sing a bit with Mary in 1994 at Chene Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1bzYz7SPM&fbclid=IwAR0Eb2Dxl4-9AtGh8ZpQXlK93o6ztER_6EP6-cOnn9owbS6O57bfPAtMYeo

luke
03-05-2020, 12:40 PM
That’s great Marv. This is very sad indeed.

marv2
03-05-2020, 12:45 PM
That’s great Marv. This is very sad indeed.

It was a few months after Mary's tragic accident. They held "Mary Wilson Day" along with the Detroit Jazz Society celebration. Barbara went out to California to help take care of Mary after the accident. I remember Mary calling Barbara out in the audience and Barbara's oldest son helping Mary off of the stage by picking her up! LOL! Barbara and Mary sang a little bit of "He's Seventeen". She looked great in a red pants suit. I'll always remember that day. All of the Brewster Oldtimers were there too.

midnightman
03-05-2020, 01:34 PM
RIP to an original Supreme.

marybrewster
03-05-2020, 01:36 PM
In one of MW's fanclub newsletters for the 80's, there's a great pic of Mary and Barbara. Sounds like they always kept in touch.

kenneth
03-05-2020, 05:45 PM
It was a few months after Mary's tragic accident. They held "Mary Wilson Day" along with the Detroit Jazz Society celebration. Barbara went out to California to help take care of Mary after the accident. I remember Mary calling Barbara out in the audience and Barbara's oldest son helping Mary off of the stage by picking her up! LOL! Barbara and Mary sang a little bit of "He's Seventeen". She looked great in a red pants suit. I'll always remember that day. All of the Brewster Oldtimers were there too.

I loved the interview she gave Mary in the "Meet the Supremes" booklet.

Marv, what do you mean by Brewster Oldtimers? People who had lived in the Brewster Projects when the girls did?

marv2
03-05-2020, 06:05 PM
I loved the interview she gave Mary in the "Meet the Supremes" booklet.

Marv, what do you mean by Brewster Oldtimers? People who had lived in the Brewster Projects when the girls did?

Yeah. I think of them as more or less along the lines of an alumni association.

kenneth
03-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Yeah. I think of them as more or less along the lines of an alumni association.

Thanks Marv.

I still remember seeing those very tall housing projects whenever we drove downtown. Was it the Lodge freeway that wound right by them? I can't remember now.

Barbara Martin RIP

marv2
03-05-2020, 06:17 PM
Thanks Marv.

I still remember seeing those very tall housing projects whenever we drove downtown. Was it the Lodge freeway that wound right by them? I can't remember now.

Barbara Martin RIP

Yeah that was the Lodge before the split with the Chrysler freeway. The Brewster Oldtimers are the toughest, nicest people you'd ever want to meet! LOL! They are like the walking, talking history of 20th Century Detroit.

jobeterob
03-06-2020, 02:38 AM
Sad to hear. Condolences to her family and is nice to hear she was happy with the direction she chose in life.

Brett
03-06-2020, 04:42 AM
i found this on Twitter

florence
03-06-2020, 08:31 AM
TBH I knew very little about Ms Martin but she seems to have been a very classy lady and happy in her life.

RIP

milven
03-06-2020, 10:59 AM
In this early song, each of the four Supremes have lead verse on this song
flo ballard,mary wilson,barbara martin, and diana ross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUyuzIm6QL8

jobeterob
03-06-2020, 03:59 PM
In this early song, each of the four Supremes have lead verse on this song
flo ballard,mary wilson,barbara martin, and diana ross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUyuzIm6QL8

Was very cool to have this piece of history. I remember playing it several times to figure out exactly who was who.

jobeterob
03-06-2020, 04:03 PM
I picked it out as Flo, Mary, Barbara, Diana - then I saw Milven had told us who was who. Does everyone agree?

captainjames
03-06-2020, 10:43 PM
I picked it out as Flo, Mary, Barbara, Diana - then I saw Milven had told us who was who. Does everyone agree?

Yep, I would say that is what my ears hear.

benross
03-07-2020, 06:35 PM
We have ourselves a winner! According to the notes in the velvet box set, that's the order of the featured singers. It was a good formula, and it was lovely to hear it used, also -- and earlier, as After All was mentioned but not released until much later -- on the Country, Western & Pop album, on It Makes No Difference Now. That arrangement, and the autographed photos on the cover of More Hits, helped us become more familiar with each individual still in the group, and a "friendship" was forged.

captainjames
03-08-2020, 05:39 PM
i found this on Twitter

I wonder if this the pic that was supposed to be used on "Meet The Supremes".

reese
03-08-2020, 05:53 PM
I wonder if this the pic that was supposed to be used on "Meet The Supremes".

The other girls had a bow in their hair in the cover photos. I can't tell if Barbara does here.

jobeterob
03-08-2020, 07:17 PM
I don’t see a bow

midnightman
03-08-2020, 09:41 PM

Yup! That's who were singing in chronological order.

captainjames
03-08-2020, 10:15 PM
The other girls had a bow in their hair in the cover photos. I can't tell if Barbara does here.

If not the album picture perhaps a graduation picture. Definitely an early pic of her.