PDA

View Full Version : Bar Association Leader Is New Caretaker of Aretha Franklin’s Estate

test

PeaceNHarmony
03-04-2020, 08:51 AM
Hopefully good news, and worth a look even if just for the gorgeous picture of Aretha - perhaps my favorite later-years gown. But tragic that Franklin let her estate saddled with an $8 million debt. Rich, poor, or middle, famous or unknown - IRS don't play.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/03/arts/music/new-executor-aretha-franklin-estate.html

thommg
03-04-2020, 01:12 PM
I found the part about negotiations for both of the movies being done about Ms. Franklin rather puzzling. I can't imagine that the movies were filmed without a contract with the estate in place. That would be foolish on the part of the producers of the films.

reese
03-04-2020, 01:35 PM
I found the part about negotiations for both of the movies being done about Ms. Franklin rather puzzling. I can't imagine that the movies were filmed without a contract with the estate in place. That would be foolish on the part of the producers of the films.

That section puzzled me as well, especially since both projects are finished and set for release. But I gather since the control of the estate has now changed hands, projects may have to be renegotiated.

midnightman
03-04-2020, 08:33 PM
Guess that's good. I don't trust her kids for some reason. As much as I hate to say it.

PeaceNHarmony
03-05-2020, 10:10 AM
I found the part about negotiations for both of the movies being done about Ms. Franklin rather puzzling. I can't imagine that the movies were filmed without a contract with the estate in place. That would be foolish on the part of the producers of the films.Yes. I think the phrase 'complete negotiations' may be a clue. Perhaps that means post-release distribution rights and royalties? We do have a resident attorney who could give us some ideas.