PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes....Final Sessions ready for pre-order in the UK

test

blueskies
03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Let-Yourself-Go-1974-1977-Sessions/dp/B004ORHX00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300458127&sr=1-1

Kamasu_Jr
03-18-2011, 11:28 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Let-Yourself-Go-1974-1977-Sessions/dp/B004ORHX00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300458127&sr=1-1

Is this being done to capitalize on MW's UK tour? Is she still touring over there? And the Amazon UK release date says June 27th. That might as well be July. I bet the American release date will be sooner than June 27th. And the UK price... 37 pounds that's around $60.00 US dollars. No way they can get $60.00 for this title in the US.

chestersong
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
That seems expensive for albums that originally were very poor sellers. What was the starting price at Hipp-O for Volume 1?
It seems the price changed over time but I cannot remember that far back.

booty
03-18-2011, 01:05 PM
This is a pre-release price. Like all other hipo releases it will come down before it is released. I recently pre-ordered the 3 Willie Hutch CD's, initially at £13.99 each. On despatch they've fallen to £8.99 each, and with Amazon's guarantee you pay the lowest price.

Kamasu_Jr
03-18-2011, 01:12 PM
This is a pre-release price. Like all other hipo releases it will come down before it is released. I recently pre-ordered the 3 Willie Hutch CD's, initially at £13.99 each. On despatch they've fallen to £8.99 each, and with Amazon's guarantee you pay the lowest price.

When you fans pay for discs in the UK are you paying in pounds or do you have to get the equivalent of US dollars?

booty
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
We pay in pounds.

kenneth
03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
When you order from Amazon, they give you the conversion rate at the time you make the purchase. Sometimes, there's a couple different options; you can opt for the conversion rate they tell you, or get it via another source. Actually, quite often if the item is listed at amazon.co.uk, it will also be listed through the same seller at amazon.com, and the price may be better. I don't recall exactly how they calculate the conversion rates if you purchase from the overseas site, but it's all done at checkout time, so no surprises later. I've purchased several things through amazon.co.uk which I seemed unable to get here in the USA.

rod_rick
03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Would love to see a track listing

chestersong
03-18-2011, 02:28 PM
so you think that price might come down to 19.95? like my new wonder mop? just kidding

copley
03-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Will no doubt sell for around £10 - £15 when released in the UK. Most Hip-O releases are cheaper in the UK. As for the release date, take it with a LARGE pinch of salt!!!!

honest man
03-18-2011, 04:01 PM
this i will put on back burner till it drops,no rush for 70s stuff, will buy the new forthcoming motown 60s titles whist wait, thank you,

carlo
03-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I remember reading a lot of complaints regarding the price of Volume 1 when it first came out. Hip-O Select was charging around $70 through its website. That's when they threw in the extra free Supremes necklace to make up for it. The reason given for the premium pricing at that time was the beautiful packaging.

Continuing on that very same thought, many fans have been saying over and over again on this forum, "I hope the packaging will be the same as Volume 1". You got what you wished for. Don't expect to get "supreme" packaging for $20. You asked, your wish was granted and now it's here. I don't want to read any complaints. If you don't like the price, then wait until the price goes down. I expect it will retail for anywhere from $50 to $60. This is for a 3 disc box-set. Very reasonable. I expect all 5000 copies will sell out just like the first volume.

Looking forward to this! :D With 3 discs for three albums, I am expecting there's going to be lot's of unreleased material. So excited!!

REDHOT
03-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I must say CARLO,i agree with you,i'll be happy to get it, no matter what price it is,i'v always wanted the last 3 albums,that THE SUPREMES[[MARY,CINDY,SCHERRIE,SUSAYE)from the 70s recorded,now my dream is coming true.
Please stay positive

captainjames
03-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Hmmm Harry and Andy are going to give me the Payne Killer on Disc as lead singer of the Supremes ? Where do I buy at least two copies..............bring it !!!!

longtimefan
03-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Carlo,

You hit the nail on the head. This is a "boutique" item for fans, long awaited and greatly valued by fans. Let's see what the domestic price actually turned out to be. But considering the release contains three discs; is researched and annotated; and, is produced in specialty packaging, I do not expect it to be inexpensive. Plus, these folks have to make SOME PROFIT to stay in business [[especially releasing a limited quantity). Gee, am I alone, or haven't the prices of most things gone up? :confused:

THANK YOU, Hip-O. I hope that the success of this package yields a profit so that we as fans can look forward to future Motown-related offerings from Hip-O.

booty
03-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Pricing in the UK are strange. I purchased The Marvelettes 3-fer from Amazon for £8.99 on the day of its release. Yet the Frankie Valli 2-CD set was £11.99.

As far as this set goes I would be at all surprised to see HMV selling it at under £15 on the day of release.

Kamasu_Jr
03-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Pricing in the UK are strange. I purchased The Marvelettes 3-fer from Amazon for £8.99 on the day of its release. Yet the Frankie Valli 2-CD set was £11.99.

As far as this set goes I would be at all surprised to see HMV selling it at under £15 on the day of release.

Ironic how Hip- O is asking premium dollar for music that didn't sell particularly well the first time.

jillfoster
03-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Ironic how Hip- O is asking premium dollar for music that didn't sell particularly well the first time.

But i'll bet my bottom dollar that ANY former Motown star, would LOVE to be at number 39 on the billboard hot 100 right about now, which is where "High Energy" topped out.

Motown_M_1056
03-19-2011, 09:44 PM
But most know that the old music charts often indicated the number of records shipped to distributors, not the number of records actually sold across record store counters and into the hands of consumers. God knows how many copies of High Inergy were returned because people didn't buy them. I saw a lot of copies in the discount or cut-out bins.

nabob
03-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Actually, quite often if the item is listed at amazon.co.uk, it will also be listed through the same seller at amazon.com, and the price may be better.US buyers beware of purchasing items from outside the US to be shipped. Due to changes in postal regulations related to terrorist activities, shipping times have greatly increased to allow for screening. Be prepared to wait... and wait ... on these purchases.

Kamasu_Jr
03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
US buyers beware of purchasing items from outside the US to be shipped. Due to changes in postal regulations related to terrorist activities, shipping times have greatly increased to allow for screening. Be prepared to wait... and wait ... on these purchases.

Tell me about it. I buy discs from Zoverstock, which is in the UK...great prices on most discs usually under $5.00, but the shipping can be slow as molasses running uphill.

chestersong
03-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I found all those last three albums in record bins for many years severely discounted. Today an artist might enjoy a number 39 on the charts but in the seventies it meant failure and it told buyers to look for something m uch better and more happening.

theboyfromxtown
03-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Kamasu

I buy lots of my stuff from US companies AllForMusic and Moviemars. I have to make sure the total order is under £32 to avoid extra duties but now I order each item, it's no problem. It takes about a month to get to me. How long does it take from UK to US?

Kamasu_Jr
03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Kamasu

I buy lots of my stuff from US companies AllForMusic and Moviemars. I have to make sure the total order is under £32 to avoid extra duties but now I order each item, it's no problem. It takes about a month to get to me. How long does it take from UK to US?

It can vary. Some discs I have ordered from ZOverstock can take over a month to arrive; Others CAN ARRIVE IN just two weeks.

RossHolloway
03-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Can't wait for this release.

nabob
03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
How long does it take from UK to US?
I experienced a six week wait at the end of last year for an order from the UK. Previous orders have taken 6 to 10 days.

robbert
03-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Nabob, the end of the year is a hectic season for [[internet) parcels to be sent, hence the longer time?

By the way, thanks, all, for yet another few names of companies where I could order my stuff, it's useful to compare prices and extra costs. If you can, give me more names, I live in Holland and order every now and then in the UK and in the US, or in Germany.

carlo
03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Robbert: Try www.froogle.com and type in whatever CD or product you're looking for. It gives a list of all sorts of stores with prices. I use it all the time. It's very handy.

robbert
03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Thank you, carlo!

mike_sku
03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
I wonder why the're keeping the track listing a secret...

hwume
03-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Very soon...

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
03-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Welcome back Harry.....Seems like it has been a long time :-)