PDA

View Full Version : Jean Terrell - "People" [[solo) The David Frost Show

test

marv2
02-07-2020, 01:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EZsMUH7Iq0

RanRan79
02-07-2020, 01:56 AM
Just beautiful. This is why Jean is one of my absolute favorite singers of all time. Beautiful rendition. It's all Jean, different from Diana's version, different from Flo's version. She put her own thing in it and yet stayed true to the point. And that photo on the video would've been perfect for a Jean album cover at the time. The audio definitely proof that Jean didn't need a group. She could've been a solo act from the jump.

sup_fan
02-07-2020, 12:14 PM
to me there are several jeans

1. the studio jean where she's following the producers direction on the melody. the results are just stunning. Stoned Love, I Guess, and on and on and on

2. the live jean where she adds some flourishes but maintains the melody

3. the live jean where she gets so caught up in riffing and all that she mumbles her way through the song, completely overlooking the melody

Listen to Live In Japan - horrible. what she did to Stoned Love is criminal as she completely just ditches the melody and is all the f over the place. A good vocalist should know where and when to go off and the power of SL is in the lyric, message and melody.

Then listen to IGIMTM on Soul Train. gorgeous. she certainly adds more to the track than the recorded version. but she never looses the melody or story.

gman
02-07-2020, 05:59 PM
I like IGIMTM a lot....its one of her best overall performances...live and studio. Both IGIMTM and 5.30 Plane are to me Terrell masterpieces....IF is another song I love to hear her sing...she just caresses it, and Levi adds a wonderful edge...while I like her vocal on Bad Weather, the instrumental track is a bit to brassy for me

sup_fan
02-07-2020, 06:10 PM
i too love IGIMTM. i think jean's recorded version is lovely. so soft and sensitive. And live on soul train she still really gave a stunning performance.

marv2
02-07-2020, 10:53 PM
to me there are several jeans

1. the studio jean where she's following the producers direction on the melody. the results are just stunning. Stoned Love, I Guess, and on and on and on

2. the live jean where she adds some flourishes but maintains the melody

3. the live jean where she gets so caught up in riffing and all that she mumbles her way through the song, completely overlooking the melody

Listen to Live In Japan - horrible. what she did to Stoned Love is criminal as she completely just ditches the melody and is all the f over the place. A good vocalist should know where and when to go off and the power of SL is in the lyric, message and melody.

Then listen to IGIMTM on Soul Train. gorgeous. she certainly adds more to the track than the recorded version. but she never looses the melody or story.

You must have never heard Scherrie sing "Stoned Love"? It is totally unrecognizable.

marv2
02-07-2020, 10:56 PM
I could listen to Jean sing "Feelin' Good" all day! It is hard for me to pick out one or two songs she recorded with the Supremes as her best because 90% of it was excellent in my opinion! She is a singers, singer!