PDA

View Full Version : Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on TV???

test

randy_russi
03-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Has there been a broadcast of the ceremony? I saw a clip of Darlene Love with other
inductees on stage--she was leading them in "Da Doo Ron Ron" a song she did NOT
sing lead on; it was La La Brooks.

I love Darlene, but I wish she wouldn't give the impression she sang lead on songs
she definitely didn't.

Anyway, is there any broadcast coming up?

Motown_M_1056
03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
It airs this Sunday ON FUSE. It's stated in the notes of one of the new Spector CDs that Darlene Love did record Da Doo Ron Ron initially. But Spector removed her vocal and added La La Brooks' voice because Darlene sounded too mature on a song that he considered dumb and aimed at teenage girls

Doug-Morgan
03-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Wish we got FUSE. I understand Steve Hunter appeared with Alice Cooper......

randy_russi
03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I have only heard Darlene tell that story, not Spector himself. Either way, it is NOT her on the record and she should stop
giving the impression that it is.
You know, she is a great talent, but she gets a lot of credit for the work of others--He's A Rebel was a Crystals record,
which they promoted on the road, radio, etc. to get a hit. She did the studio work, which she told Phil she wanted
triple scale for, and that was it. Just like a musician on the record, once it was completed, that was it for her.
Yet she is taking so much credit for that record today and has been for many years. Meanwhile, the Crystals with
the much more than capable voice of La La Brooks, promoted the record and its follow-up, He's Sure The Boy I Love,
which also featured Darlene. She wasn't one of them and didn't meet them until posing for the Christmas lp photo
in NYC.
Again, I love Darlene, but she's getting so much credit for the hard work of several others. Phil used her on the
Rebel sessiion because he knew the song had been recorded by Vicki Carr on Liberty and was in a rush to get his
recorded and pressed. The Vicki Carr single actually charted first.
Anyway, the Crystals were in NY and Phil wanted to record quickly in L.A. so he used Darlene and the Blossoms.
Why the Crystals name? Because they had just had two big hits were now an established name.
Darlene has only had three charting singles under her own name and they weren't even top ten hits.
I think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame really needs to consider the Crystals for induction.

Motown_M_1056
03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I have only heard Darlene tell that story, not Spector himself. Either way, it is NOT her on the record and she should stop
giving the impression that it is.
You know, she is a great talent, but she gets a lot of credit for the work of others--He's A Rebel was a Crystals record,
which they promoted on the road, radio, etc. to get a hit. She did the studio work, which she told Phil she wanted
triple scale for, and that was it. Just like a musician on the record, once it was completed, that was it for her.
Yet she is taking so much credit for that record today and has been for many years. Meanwhile, the Crystals with
the much more than capable voice of La La Brooks, promoted the record and its follow-up, He's Sure The Boy I Love,
which also featured Darlene. She wasn't one of them and didn't meet them until posing for the Christmas lp photo
in NYC.
Again, I love Darlene, but she's getting so much credit for the hard work of several others. Phil used her on the
Rebel sessiion because he knew the song had been recorded by Vicki Carr on Liberty and was in a rush to get his
recorded and pressed. The Vicki Carr single actually charted first.
Anyway, the Crystals were in NY and Phil wanted to record quickly in L.A. so he used Darlene and the Blossoms.
Why the Crystals name? Because they had just had two big hits were now an established name.
Darlene has only had three charting singles under her own name and they weren't even top ten hits.
I think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame really needs to consider the Crystals for induction.

I blame Phil Spector. It's all his fault. He used singers at his own will. They were interchageable to him....just voices he heard in his head that he wanted to get on record. There is no doubt that Darlene Love was his most valuable voice. He never made a record without her involvement in some capacity. The Crystals need to hustle like Darlene and Ronnie did to get into the Rock Hall Of Fame. They are fragmented with La La Brooks doing her own thing and Dee Dee Kinnebrew doing her thing. I think they are viewed as not terribly important because they were so interchangeable. I never cared for Barbara Alston's voice. She sang monotone and flat in my opinion. It's easy to see why Spector used Darlene until La La was brought in.

randy_russi
03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
The Crystals were highly viewed by their peers. Apparently they were a big draw and had the ability to perform well.
Dick Clark used them continuously on his Caravan of Stars tours. Sam Cooke loved to tour with them as did
James Brown, etc. Regardless of the recordings [[which the majority of theirs ARE the real Crystals!), they were a
highly visable performing act playing most of the top venues of the day.
They deserve to be respected for that. The only recordings that they are not featured are "He's A Rebel" and
"He's Sure The Boy I Love".
They were not interchangable; at least not anymore than the Ronettes [[or any other girl group that the producer
used additional backup singers--like at Motown).
Barbara Alston's voice was featured on the majority of the recordings. Once you get a hit, you don't want to change
the sound.

randy_russi
03-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Barbara Alston---lead singer:
There's No Other, Uptown, What A Nice Way To Turn Seventeen, Another Country-Another World, Please Hurt Me, I Love You
Eddie, No One Ever Tells You, Chico's Girl [[unreleased), Please Be My Boyfriend [[unreleased)
Patsy Wright---lead singer:
Oh Yeah, Maybe Baby
La La Brooks---lead singer:
Frankestein Twist, Gee Whiz, Da Doo Ron Ron, Then He Kissed Me, Little Boy, Girls Can Tell, I Wonder, Santa Claus
Is Coming To Town, Parade of the Wooden Soldiers, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer [[and several other unreleased
titles)
Dee Dee Kenniebrew--lead on Look In My Eyes

randy_russi
03-17-2011, 03:36 PM
All of the Barbara Alston leads featured the Crystals and the Crystals ONLY on backup vocals.

Motown_M_1056
03-17-2011, 03:45 PM
The fact remains, Darlene Love sang lead on more than one of the BIGGEST HITS CREDITED TO the Crystals.

randy_russi
03-17-2011, 04:09 PM
That is correct! And Hal Blaine played drums and Steve Douglas played sax. They were part of the session.
Darlene did not promote or perform the song until she did her solo thing beginning in the early '80s.
So she sang on two of their hits does that mean she deserves more credit for their career than they do???
Again, I love Darlene, but this ego thing going on isn't needed. She sang for everybody that was somebody
in the business, especially in California.
But the Crystals were and are the Crystals, a hit-making group before their producer released a recording under
their name that they didn't record. That's no fault of theirs and they were more than capable. La La has
a fabulous voice!

Motown_M_1056
03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
I can't speak on Darlene Love's ego [[She seems no more egotistical than some other singers). BUT I can't blame her for setting the record straight on what songs she actually sang. Spector was not going to admit it.

marv2
03-17-2011, 05:21 PM
There's No Other, Uptown, What A Nice Way To Turn Seventeen, Another Country-Another World, Please Hurt Me, I Love You
Eddie, No One Ever Tells You, Chico's Girl [[unreleased), Please Be My Boyfriend [[unreleased)
Oh Yeah, Maybe Baby
Frankestein Twist, Gee Whiz, Da Doo Ron Ron, Then He Kissed Me, Little Boy, Girls Can Tell, I Wonder, Santa Claus
Is Coming To Town, Parade of the Wooden Soldiers, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer [[and several other unreleased
titles)

I don't care what anyone says, "Uptown" was a great song and if you were to find that album it came from today, you'd have to pay through the nose! The Crystals should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they were an important group of the early 60's era. Besides, LaLa is too fineeeee...... .not to be in it already!!!!!

Motown_M_1056
03-17-2011, 06:11 PM
All of the Barbara Alston leads featured the Crystals and the Crystals ONLY on backup vocals.

Interesting. The Crystals were in New York WHEN Spector recorded there.
ACCORDING to writer Sheryl Foster, La La Brooks told her that Spector flew her to LOS ANGELES to record Da Doo Ron, Ron, Then, He Kissed Me, Little Boy and I Wonder, which she recorded with backup vocals provided by Darlene Love, the Blossoms, Cher and other singers. Apparently, the New York Crystals weren't there. La La returned to NY and taught the songs to the Crystals.

smark21
03-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh Yeah, Maybe Baby
titles)

Did Barbara sing lead on "He Hit Me and It Felt Like a Kiss"?

randy_russi
03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, Barbara Alston is lead on "He Hit Me", which I did leave off the above list.

I don't know that Spector would ever deny using Darlene on those two Crystals
records. I don't know if anyone ever asked him.

As for LaLa flying to L.A. to record, this is true. However, how many recordings done
by the groups at Motown--namely Supremes, Vandellas, Marvelettes ONLY featured
the leads of Diana, Martha or Wanda? None of the other members of those groups
were featured.

Ronnie was the only Ronette who recorded in L.A. many times too.

marv2, you are so right! "Uptown" is a fantastic record and the Crystals should
definitely be inducted.

Kamasu_Jr
03-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes, Barbara Alston is lead on "He Hit Me", which I did leave off the above list.

I don't know that Spector would ever deny using Darlene on those two Crystals
records. I don't know if anyone ever asked him.

As for LaLa flying to L.A. to record, this is true. However, how many recordings done
by the groups at Motown--namely Supremes, Vandellas, Marvelettes ONLY featured
the leads of Diana, Martha or Wanda? None of the other members of those groups
were featured.

Ronnie was the only Ronette who recorded in L.A. many times too.

marv2, you are so right! "Uptown" is a fantastic record and the Crystals should
definitely be inducted.

I can't remember Phil Spector acknowledging any of the singers he used, except Ronnie. Doesn't he make it all about him? Now that's egotistical. It was common practice for many producers to only use lead singers on sessions. So no wonder Darlene Love is so aggressive about promoting her legacy.

I think the problem with the Crystals is they have no clear identity in the minds of most fans like the Shirelles, Ronettes or Supremes. Like the Drifters, they had several lead singers and the personnel was constantly changing. It would come down to deciding which of the Crystals should be inducted to the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame.

randy_russi
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
The Crystals who worked for Spector, the original lineup: Dee Dee Kenniebrew, Barbara Alston, Pat Wright, Mary Thomas, Myrna Gerard [[replaced by La La Brooks).

Changes: Before the issue of the first lp, Twist Uptown, Myrna left to get married and replaced
by La La.

Mary Thomas left in '62 leaving a foursome: Dee Dee, Barbara, Pat & La La.

Pat left in early '64 replaced by Barbara Hershey, who left to work with Harry Belefonte, and
replaced by Frances Collins.

Crystals left Spector--Trio: La La, Dee Dee, Frances [[recorded for United Artists)

By 66--Dee Dee, Barbara, Mary [[of the originals) were back together and record a single for
the Michelle label, "Ring-A-Ting-A-Ling" b/w "Should I Keep Waiting".

So, who should be inducted--Dee Dee, La La, Barbara, Mary, & Pat [[if we can find her!!!).

Mary is still in Brooklyn, Barbara in N. Carolina, Fran Collins is in Miami, and La La is in NYC.
Dee Dee lives in Atlanta.

randy_russi
03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
And, yes, as someone mentioned above, the Crystals "Twist Uptown" lp is one of the most expensive
lps to buy; that's if you can find a collector willing to sell it.
Their second and third lps are almost as expensive: "He's A Rebel" and "Sing The Greatest Hits".

And everyone should know just how much the original Christmas lp [["Philles Records presents A
Christmas Gift for You") goes for.
They are one of the most collected groups of the rock'n'roll era of the '50s/'60s.

Kamasu_Jr
03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
And, yes, as someone mentioned above, the Crystals "Twist Uptown" lp is one of the most expensive
lps to buy; that's if you can find a collector willing to sell it.
Their second and third lps are almost as expensive: "He's A Rebel" and "Sing The Greatest Hits".

And everyone should know just how much the original Christmas lp [["Philles Records presents A
Christmas Gift for You") goes for.
They are one of the most collected groups of the rock'n'roll era of the '50s/'60s.

You know six Spector albums are being released by Sony in June. Twist Uptown by the Crystals is among them, plus Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes featuring Veronica. Every music fan who has wanted these rare LPs will be able to get them.

stephanie
03-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I figured when Spector went to jail the reissues would start coming out somehow. There are debates all over the web about Darlene Love being in the Hall of Fame and lets just say thank god for Paul Schaeffer and Bruce Springsteen who are closely tied to the committee. Had it not been for these two she wouldnt have seen the light of day. Anytime you are leaving out a man like Joe Tex, and Rush is not even in before Darlene Love something is wrong.

Kamasu_Jr
03-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Who is RUSH? AND WHAT DO THEY HAVE TO DO WITH DARLENE LOVE? Spector is still calling the shots from his prison cell. There will be no stereo mixes of these albums.

Kamasu_Jr
03-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Who is RUSH? AND WHAT DO THEY HAVE TO DO WITH DARLENE LOVE? Spector is still calling the shots from his prison cell. There will be no stereo mixes of these albums.
I watched the first two inductions of Dr. John and Darlene Love. They got them out of the way first. Darlene's speech was predictable, but genuine. I could tell she was humbled and proud. She thanked Phil Spector, Bruce Springsteen, Luther Vandross, Paul Schaefer but I didn't notice any mention of the Blossoms [[though there was some great pictures of the trio) or the Crystals. It was probably due to editing.

I noticed actress Rose Jackson [[Dead Presidents) in the audience at Darlene's table. Darlene referred to her as her "daughter." I think that's probably God_daughter.

The Hall Of Fame ceremony reairs on Thursday afternoon if you want to check your local cable listings.

brother_love
03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm very happy for Darlene good things come to those who wait and don't hate.

reese
03-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I didn't get to see the entire show yet. I only watched Darlene's segment, but it was great to see her both looking and sounding good.

I thought her acceptance speech was heartfelt. I didn't expect her to thank the Crystals, although she is friendly with LaLa, I believe. She has said that the group asked that she stop telling people that she sang HE'S A REBEL. Re the Blossoms, her induction speech was edited around the first song she performed, TODAY I MET THE BOY I'M GONNA MARRY, so she might very well have mentioned them, and it was edited out.

marv2
03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I figured when Spector went to jail the reissues would start coming out somehow. There are debates all over the web about Darlene Love being in the Hall of Fame and lets just say thank god for Paul Schaeffer and Bruce Springsteen who are closely tied to the committee. Had it not been for these two she wouldnt have seen the light of day. Anytime you are leaving out a man like Joe Tex, and Rush is not even in before Darlene Love something is wrong.

Don't forget great bands like Rare Earth and the Guess Who!

randy_russi
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Rose Jackson is not Darlene's daughter. Darlene only had sons.

I goofed above on one name: I said "Barbara Hershey" and there is someone with that name, but the name of the girl
who worked with the Crystals briefly in '64 is Barbara Massey, who left to work with Harry Belafonte.
It is Barbara Massey with Dee Dee, Barbara Alston, and La La performing "Little Boy" on American Bandstand.
The new CD booklet says it is Mary Thomas, but Mary was out of the group by then and didn't return until '66.
Also, Mary sang with the Butterflys as did Myrna Gerard on Red Bird Records--"Goodnight Baby" and "I Wonder" [[same
song the Crystals and Ronettes recorded).

reese
03-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Rose Jackson is not Darlene's daughter. Darlene only had sons.

I goofed above on one name: I said "Barbara Hershey" and there is someone with that name, but the name of the girl
who worked with the Crystals briefly in '64 is Barbara Massey, who left to work with Harry Belafonte.
It is Barbara Massey with Dee Dee, Barbara Alston, and La La performing "Little Boy" on American Bandstand.
The new CD booklet says it is Mary Thomas, but Mary was out of the group by then and didn't return until '66.
Also, Mary sang with the Butterflys as did Myrna Gerard on Red Bird Records--"Goodnight Baby" and "I Wonder" [[same
song the Crystals and Ronettes recorded).

Rose is a young dancer to whom Darlene became quite attached while they both were performing in CARRIE in London.

Rosalynn, Darlene's biological daughter, unfortunately passed away shortly after birth.

brother_love
03-31-2011, 03:10 PM
She was speaking about her daughters-in-law.

randy_russi
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Does the Vocal Group Hall of Fame still have annual enductees? They certainly need to induct the Crystals!

luke
03-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Why not Pat too for HOF-she was there for all the hits-?

randy_russi
04-01-2011, 09:15 AM
luke, I did say Patsy, but no one knows where she is or if she is even still living. Dee Dee tried to find her and also her
brothers and sisters and can't locate any of them.
I also was thinking of Fran because she is in so much of the film footage from '64, '65, '66. She wasn't on the hits,
but did record with Dee Dee and La La the United Artists material.

Motown_M_1056
04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
ROSE JACKSON WAS IN THE AUDIENCE FOR THE HALL OF FAME INDUCTION. Rose did not marry one of Darlene's sons. She [[ROSE) married Michael G. Moye, one of the creators/producers of Married with Children. Reese is correct, Rose & Darlene became close during Carrie.

luke
04-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I think they are in the VGHO Fame but Iwill double check.

luke
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Yes, they were inducted in 2005.

randy_russi
04-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks, luke!