PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Mar 15, 9P-12M ET: Everything... including the kitchen sink!

test

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Howdy one and all! Tonight for you...a show full of everything. Motown and 60's and 70's tracks ROR [[rare on radio) and a slew of new remixes By Jimmy Ruffin, the Jean Terrell Supremes, the Four Tops, the Vandellas, and others...and a few Motown fantasy duet remixes with Gladys and the Pips and the Velvelettes, Jimmy Ruffin and Marvin Gaye and a few very rare alternate versions by Honeycone and Brenda Holloway. AND special news later in the show about next week's very special "Listener's Choice" show. All this and more...tonight...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)
Thanks!
John

Our hearts go out to the people of Japan caught in the devastations brought on by nature and man.....

lovechild
03-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Cool sounds like a hot show tonight JP! Looking forward to it...cya in a few hours.

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
What. . .no kitchen sink! LOL! Looking foward to tonight's extravaganza Johnny. Remix and ROR me up!:cool:

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Cool sounds like a hot show tonight JP! Looking forward to it...cya in a few hours.

Hey there, Tony!!! Looking forward to C-ing you in a few hours too!

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 06:33 PM
:cool:
What. . .no kitchen sink! LOL! Looking foward to tonight's extravaganza Johnny. Remix and ROR me up!

JV...the "kitchen sink" is the news about NEXT week's show [[grin)! Thanks to you:cool:!

lovechild
03-15-2011, 07:11 PM
...and the countdown starts Joseph :)

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 07:14 PM
...and the countdown starts Joseph :)

....tick...tick....tick...t.....

MotownSteve
03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi John,
Sounds like a great show. I have to get up very early tomorrow so I figure I'll be good for the first hour. Oh well.

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Nice to have you back, Steve....for as long as you can....

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 08:55 PM
....in the studio, my friends...

MotownSteve
03-15-2011, 09:03 PM
John,
Under the circumstances, a great song to begin with. Arigato, John san

lovechild
03-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Thank you for playing Sukiyaki John...my prayers and thoughts are with all of the people of Japan.

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Thank you for playing Sukiyaki John...my prayers and thoughts are with all of the people of Japan.

Stop...I'll cry...thank you...

lovechild
03-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Sukiyaki translated:
I look up when I walk so the tears won't fall
Remembering those happy spring days
But tonight I'm all alone

I look up when I walk, counting the stars with tearful eyes
Remembering those happy summer days

Happiness lies beyond the clouds
Happiness lies above the sky

Though my heart is filled with sorrow
For tonight I'm all alone

whistling

Remembering those happy autumn days

Sadness hides in the shadow of the stars
Sadness lurks in the shadow of the moon

--------
The story goes that the song was written by Rokusuke Ei when his heart was
literally broken by a Japanese actress, Meiko Nakamura.

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Super, wonderful way to start the show, John. Perfect song. Thanks!

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I love Sukiyaki and as for TCB, "that's cool baby!"

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Sukiyaki translated:
Remembering those happy spring days

I look up when I walk, counting the stars with tearful eyes
Remembering those happy summer days

Happiness lies beyond the clouds
Happiness lies above the sky

whistling

Remembering those happy autumn days

Sadness hides in the shadow of the stars
Sadness lurks in the shadow of the moon

--------
The story goes that the song was written by Rokusuke Ei when his heart was
literally broken by a Japanese actress, Meiko Nakamura.

Oh MANNNNNNN....this is gonna do me in.........so beautiful and touching. Thanks Tony!

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks, JV!

Jim...welcome...and thanks!

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Tony,Do you know why A Taste Of Honey wrote different English words for their version of Sukiyaki?

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 09:17 PM
from Wikipedia:

The lyrics tell the story of a man who looks up and whistles while he is walking so that his tears won't fall. The verses of the song describe his memories and feelings. The English-language lyrics of the version recorded by A Taste of Honey are not a translation of the original Japanese lyrics but a completely different set of lyrics set to the same basic melody.

The title Sukiyaki, a Japanese steamboat dish, has nothing to do with the lyrics or the meaning of the song; the word served the purpose only because it was short, catchy, recognizably Japanese, and more familiar to most English speakers. A Newsweek columnist noted that the re-titling was like issuing "Moon River" in Japan under the title "Beef Stew."[5]

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Love the ultraultimatemegamix of I Can't Help Myself!

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
from Wikipedia:

The lyrics tell the story of a man who looks up and whistles while he is walking so that his tears won't fall. The verses of the song describe his memories and feelings. The English-language lyrics of the version recorded by A Taste of Honey are not a translation of the original Japanese lyrics but a completely different set of lyrics set to the same basic melody.

The title Sukiyaki, a Japanese steamboat dish, has nothing to do with the lyrics or the meaning of the song; the word served the purpose only because it was short, catchy, recognizably Japanese, and more familiar to most English speakers. A Newsweek columnist noted that the re-titling was like issuing "Moon River" in Japan under the title "Beef Stew."[5]

Thank you, Joe...and that was quite funny too!

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
from Wikipedia:

Thanks Joseph

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Janis! Yeah!

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Love the ultraultimatemegamix of I Can't Help Myself!

Awwww...thanks!!!

lovechild
03-15-2011, 09:25 PM
from Wikipedia:

Very well stated Joseph

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Very well stated Joseph

It doesn't state as much, but I would guess A Taste Of Honey changed the lyrics as likely the direct english translation would not have fit the melody.

lovechild
03-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Wow I was just thinking about this song and here it is! Thanks JP

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Wow I was just thinking about this song and here it is! Thanks JP

Get OUT!!! Really??? Tony...man..I love Mr DAvis!

lovechild
03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
I think I heard earlier today the Ronnie got inducted into the RnR hall of fame this year

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
I thought it was to be Darlene Love....either way...great choice.

lovechild
03-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Cool this is a new Petula for my ears to hear...

lovechild
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I thought it was to be Darlene Love....either way...great choice.

you are right it was Darlene Love, can't believe my old ears any more these days lol

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey Gang – No surprise here, but it’s me who will be doing next week’s Listener’s Choice show. I hope you will all be able to be here and share it with me. Having done a number of shows in the past I thought it was time to do a retrospective. See, in the silly [[but lovely) fantasy world of me, I am a singer! Yes, I used to sing into the hair brush! Fancy that. Well doing Listener’s Choice shows is as close as I got to fame [[which is pretty close). So doing a retrospective is as close as I will get to having my fantasy “Greatest Hits” album. Are you feeling me? I’m calling the show “Joey’s Greatest Hits” as a nod to the very first “Greatest Hits” album “Johnny’s Greatest Hits”. It will feature personal favorites as well as songs that received a lot of feedback from the audience. But like any good “Greatest Hits” it will include some new tracks. Fun and music. Oh yes, and by the way, it will be the eve, eve, eve, eve of Diana Ross’ 67th birthday. Hope you all can make it!

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 09:49 PM
If they held the RR HOF inductions on tv this year, I missed them. Would have liked to have seen Darlene's speech.

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 09:52 PM
If they held the RR HOF inductions on tv this year, I missed them. Would have liked to have seen Darlene's speech.

I don't think they've shown that yet. Darlene's speech is going to historic.

lovechild
03-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Hey Gang – No surprise here, but it’s me who will be doing next week’s Listener’s Choice show. I hope you will all be able to be here and share it with me. Having done a number of shows in the past I thought it was time to do a retrospective. See, in the silly [[but lovely) fantasy world of me, I am a singer! Yes, I used to sing into the hair brush! Fancy that. Well doing Listener’s Choice shows is as close as I got to fame [[which is pretty close). So doing a retrospective is as close as I will get to having my fantasy “Greatest Hits” album. Are you feeling me? I’m calling the show“Joey’s Greatest Hits” as a nod to the very first “Greatest Hits” album “Johnny’s Greatest Hits”. It will feature personal favorites as well as songs that received a lot of feedback from the audience. But like any good “Greatest Hits” it will include some new tracks. Fun and music. Oh yes, and by the way, it will be the eve, eve, eve, eve of Diana Ross’ 67th birthday. Hope you all can make it!
Looking forward to your Greatest Hits Plus more show next week Joseph!

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 09:57 PM
It's the eve, eve, eve, eve of Diana Ross' birthday, not mine, John.:confused:

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Do you have an extended version of "It Only Hurts When I Cry" by Donna Loren?

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 10:03 PM
It's the eve, eve, eve, eve of Diana Ross' birthday, not mine, John.:confused:

That's what I said....

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Do you have an extended version of "It Only Hurts When I Cry" by Donna Loren?

Jim...nope...I'll see what I can find to work with...

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 10:05 PM
It's a wonderful recording. It's drawback was that it was only 2 minutes long.

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the Chaka Khan.

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the Chaka Khan.

Why, sureeeeee!

lovechild
03-15-2011, 10:34 PM
oh my goodness I lovvvvvvvvve this Natalie Cole track, thanks JP!
La Costa is right up the coast from us here in SD ....

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 10:37 PM
oh my goodness I lovvvvvvvvve this Natalie Cole track, thanks JP!
La Costa is right up the coast from us here in SD ....

My pleasure, Tonyyyyyyy....

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 10:45 PM
nothing sweeter than a Honey Cone

lovechild
03-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Johnny thanks for playing this very special version of WWISYA....

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 10:54 PM
The Look of Love by ABC: I dusted off this track last weekend for the first time in over 20 years. It's amazing to hear it again so soon.

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
I was "studying" my '80s British Invasion for a team trivia night. The only '80s music played in the event ended up being Wang Chung.

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Johnny thanks for playing this very special version of WWISYA....

Of course, Tony.....

lovechild
03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Kewl I haven't heard this Roberta song for awhile. agrigato go zai mas thank you very much

JimBagley
03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I have to sign off and get up early tomorrow. Thank you John, Joe, and Tony for a entertaining night. We're having a bake sale at work on Thursday for the relief effort in Japan. Hopefully, the rest of Quest will be hosting events as well.

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I have to sign off and get up early tomorrow. Thank you John, Joe, and Tony for a entertaining night. We're having a bake sale at work on Thursday for the relief effort in Japan. Hopefully, the rest of Quest will be hosting events as well.

Jim....great to have you here....Have a great week!!!

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Kewl I haven't heard this Roberta song for awhile. agrigato go zai mas thank you very much

Such a great song...you're very welcome!

lovechild
03-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I have to sign off and get up early tomorrow. Thank you John, Joe, and Tony for a entertaining night. We're having a bake sale at work on Thursday for the relief effort in Japan. Hopefully, the rest of Quest will be hosting events as well. Good nite JIm and that is wonderful about the bake sale!

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 11:13 PM

See you next week, Jim. Same Bat time, Same Bat Channe!

lovechild
03-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I hear Honey Chile! woohoo :)

lovechild
03-15-2011, 11:41 PM
i just love Jeans voice Thanks JP

lovechild
03-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Dionne! u-da-man Johnny....

midnight johnny
03-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Dionne! u-da-man Johnny....

Thanks, Tony!....Have you seen Dionne on "The Apprentice"??? She is really QUITE the bitch...and then she teams up with Star Jones...the 2 of them...man...nasTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

lovechild
03-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks for a great show John. Have a great week and pray for the folks in Japan..it isnt looking too good at the moment

See you next week on your special day Joseph!

sophisticated_soul
03-15-2011, 11:59 PM
A big Thank You, John. Tone, Jim, Steve, always a pleasure. See you all next week.:cool:

lovechild
03-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks, Tony!....Have you seen Dionne on "The Apprentice"??? She is really QUITE the bitch...and then she teams up with Star Jones...the 2 of them...man...nasTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
no I havent seen it but have heard about it...

midnight johnny
03-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Joseph....Tony....Jim....Steve...thanks so much!