PDA

View Full Version : Name a song of 1960's that The Supremes,the original members would make it soar?

test

TNSUN
01-05-2020, 04:14 PM
The song, "Red Rubber Ball", recorded by The Cyrkle
fits the vocal harmonics of Diana, Mary and Flo. Diana Ross's enthusiastic voice and the joyous playing of The Funk Bros. would have made this song soar.

daviddh
01-05-2020, 05:14 PM
I like their version of mister sandman

lakedistrictlad1
01-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Great post.
I'd love to have heard their version of 'Everlasting Love' by the Love Affair.

mowsville
01-05-2020, 06:47 PM
Getting Mighty Crowded by Betty Everett.

Diana Ross Fan Club
01-05-2020, 10:28 PM
DMF:
• Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying
• Walk On By
• Don't Make Me Over
• I Will Wait For You
• Stupid Cupid
• Theme From 'A Summer Place'
• You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
• Theme For A Dream
• Shangri-La
• Mack The Knife

DMC
• The Windows Of The World
• Crystal Blue Persuasion
• Frank Mills
• Traces / Memories
• God Only Knows
• Love So Fine
• The Face I Love
• Wives And Lovers
• California Nights
• Summer Symphony [[written by Neil Sedaka)

I've always thought that during the Diana Ross & The Supremes era, Motown should have released an album with hits of those days..."Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing Hit Songs Of Today"...

TNSUN
01-06-2020, 12:51 AM
The Supremes singing "Traces / Memories" and " God Only Knows" would have been delightful!

I wish Diana Ross would record " I'll Never Love
This Way Again".

I like Dionne Warwick's version- but Diana Ross would add more pathos to the song and choose a softer arrangement- a la "It's My Turn".

TNSUN
01-06-2020, 12:55 AM
This a 70's song: Don McLean's "Vincent".
For Diana Ross's version: solo vocal with acoustic guitar accompaniment.

Diana Ross Fan Club
01-06-2020, 02:28 AM
The Supremes singing "Traces / Memories" and " God Only Knows" would have been delightful!

I wish Diana Ross would record " I'll Never Love
This Way Again".

I like Dionne Warwick's version- but Diana Ross would add more pathos to the song and choose a softer arrangement- a la "It's My Turn".

There's a song listed in one of Mary Wilson's book called 'Memories' and it remains unreleased. I've been wondering for awhile if it was 'Traces / Memories'. I think that song could have been included on Let The Sunshine In or Cream Of The Crop.

mowsville
01-06-2020, 04:17 AM
DMF
Maybe I Know...Lesley Gore
Opus 17...Four Seasons
I Feel Love Coming On...Felice Taylor

Motown Eddie
01-06-2020, 06:25 AM
I think The Supremes would sound great doing:
"I Only Want To Be With You"-Dusty Springfield
"Downtown"-Petula Clark
"I Know A Place"-Petula Clark
"Rescue Me"-Fontella Bass
"It May Be Winter Outside [[But In My Heart It's Spring)"-Felice Taylor
"Nothing But A Heartache"-The Flirtations
"One Way Out"-Martha & The Vandellas
"Since You've Been Gone"-Four Tops

mowsville
01-06-2020, 07:59 AM
Motown Eddie they actually recorded One Way Out but their vocals were erased when Marthas were overdubbed...what a great loss...I too was thinking of I know A Place.

danman869
01-06-2020, 09:47 AM
There's a song listed in one of Mary Wilson's book called 'Memories' and it remains unreleased. I've been wondering for awhile if it was 'Traces / Memories'. I think that song could have been included on Let The Sunshine In or Cream Of The Crop.

The song "Memories" was written by Allen Story, George Gordy, Lawrence Brown, and Margaret Johnson. The Supremes never recorded vocals and it was reassigned and recorded by Bobby Taylor: Track recorded 2/15/1969; assigned to The Supremes; horns and strings at Golden World 4/1/1969; background voices 4/29/1969; Bobby Taylor lead vocal 12/11/1969. Oh--and Bobby Taylor never had the song released either until his Anthology a few years back.

reese
01-06-2020, 09:53 AM
I think The Supremes would sound great doing:
"I Only Want To Be With You"-Dusty Springfield
"Downtown"-Petula Clark
"I Know A Place"-Petula Clark
"Rescue Me"-Fontella Bass
"It May Be Winter Outside [[But In My Heart It's Spring)"-Felice Taylor
"Nothing But A Heartache"-The Flirtations
"One Way Out"-Martha & The Vandellas
"Since You've Been Gone"-Four Tops

I KNOW A PLACE is a good one. They sang it as part of a medley with Sammy Davis on Hollywood Palace and it sounded great.

Motown Eddie
01-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Motown Eddie they actually recorded One Way Out but their vocals were erased when Marthas were overdubbed...what a great loss...I too was thinking of I know A Place.

I know; the story about "One Way Out" was told in the notes for the deluxe edition of Supremes Sing H-D-H. It was a missed opportunity alright [[make that two missed opportunities; I feel that Martha's version of the song should've been the A-side of "Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone").