PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Bash Jean Terrell's Performing Skills

test

Koach
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I've read various comments on different sites, where people claim that Jean Terrell is a lousy performer, etc. I don't know where they're coming from. She's fabulous on stage as far as I'm concerned. I love her facial expressions, especially, on certain clips.

blueskies
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM
I agree, Koach. I did see Jean right after she replaced Ross. The only thing I can think is she wasn't that "up in your face" kind of performer Diana was and maybe this is what people were expecting. She wasn't kittenish, coy, cooing and batting her eyes type of girl. It certainly worked for Diana but....that wasn't Jean. Jean was her own woman. She was classy, professional and had a fantastic voice. And, I really don't care what went on behind the scenes. She's my favorite lead of the Supremes.

midnight johnny
03-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Koach and blueskies....I totally agree with you both. I love ALL the Supremes....but Jean's performances and vocals have always touched me in a very special way. I don't think anyone could have transitioned the Supremes from the Diana grouping as well. Those who made those claims....they truly don't know what they are talking about.

ralpht
03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
I had the pleasure of picking up Ms. Terrell from her hotel to bring her to the Donovan Building when she first joined the Supremes. I thought she was rather shy and very charming as I drove her to Motown.

paladin
03-12-2011, 11:52 PM
She was classy, professional and had a fantastic voice. And, I really don't care what went on behind the scenes. She's my favorite lead of the Supremes.

I agree she has a very special place in my heart, right along with Bill Griffin and Dennis Edwards, they dared to venture forth after legends and they did it remarkably well, they all had unique talents and were exceptional performers. God Bless them one and all. Plus Jean was fine as hell......

marv2
03-13-2011, 12:20 AM
I agree she has a very special place in my heart, right along with Bill Griffin and Dennis Edwards, they dared to venture forth after legends and they did it remarkably well, they all had unique talents and were exceptional performers. God Bless them one and all. Plus Jean was fine as hell......

Jean was very fine......! The first time I met her after a show, she took the time to speak with us. Later we rode in the elevator with her and blew us a kiss when she got out! I wanted to follow her. LOL! She's been one my favorites since I first heard her all those years ago.

jaybs
03-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I have never had any problems with Jean, she is a superb artist and such a Lady! Love Her!

theboyfromxtown
03-13-2011, 10:54 AM
I had the pleasure of picking up Ms. Terrell from her hotel to bring her to the Donovan Building when she first joined the Supremes. I thought she was rather shy and very charming as I drove her to Motown.

Was that before or after she heard about the Terrana Twins?

lol

ralpht
03-13-2011, 12:06 PM
LOL,John,
Well I didn't tell her who I really was. She may have insisted on taking a cab.

captainjames
03-13-2011, 02:56 PM
LOL
Too funny, I am sure she would have been honored.

Was that before or after she heard about the Terrana Twins?

lol

ralpht
03-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Captain. I hope that was the case.

theboyfromxtown
03-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Ralph

Can you recall any time when Jean might have been referred to as Gene Tyril

loveblind
03-13-2011, 11:31 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/72703_154577857913049_137706609600174_219436_57911 54_n.jpg

After Florence Ballard left the Supremes the group was primary a vehicle to further promote Diana Ross. By 1968, the group really was really all about Ross, so when Terrell took over she got flack from many fans, TV hosts and critics who were basically pissed because she wasn't Diana Ross. I believe it was Mike Douglas who once asked her "How does it feel when people say the group isn't as exciting without Diana?"

Although she gave the group some good records and sizable hits, being the lead singer at that time was almost like being set-up. A job she was not mentally and physically ready for. When she saw that Motown wasn't behind her, she split.

ivyfield
02-24-2012, 06:59 AM
I agree, Koach. I did see Jean right after she replaced Ross. The only thing I can think is she wasn't that "up in your face" kind of performer Diana was and maybe this is what people were expecting. She wasn't kittenish, coy, cooing and batting her eyes type of girl. It certainly worked for Diana but....that wasn't Jean. Jean was her own woman. She was classy, professional and had a fantastic voice. And, I really don't care what went on behind the scenes. She's my favorite lead of the Supremes.

MINE TOO! Closely followed by Scherrie & Lynda. All three were criminally under-exploited by Motown.

ivyfield
02-24-2012, 07:06 AM
I have never had any problems with Jean, she is a superb artist and such a Lady! Love Her!
- and that goes for me too. I do know that off-stage she could be difficult at times, I've heard that from Mary, Cindy, Scherrie & Lynda. Hazel Bethke/Cragulac [[the group's P.A. for many years) told me [[in Mary's presence which she also agreed with) that in the weeks before Jean quit the group they had to physically 'push' her on-stage because she just didn't want to do 'it' anymore. But then, can you blame her? Motown did nothing to further the career of The Supremes and when she saw the record company had lost interest, she did too.