PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Tsunami is terrifying...

test

grapevine
03-11-2011, 06:23 AM
...eating all in its wake...!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

:[[

soulster
03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Man! I fell asleep on the couch while watching it, and drempt I was on vacation in Los Angeles, and the tsunami was on it's way.

What's freaky is that three days ago I was just telling a co-worker that the northwest was about due for another great tsunami to hit...

jillfoster
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm watching it on CNN... it's really really bad.

soulster
03-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah? Well, MSNBC is reporting that it's hitting the Oregon coast right now, but in no way is it going to be as bad as Japan right now..

ralpht
03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
All the beaches here on the Monterey Peninsula are closed. The tsunami was scheduled to hit here at 8:45 which has come and gone but, so far so good. It wasn't supposed to be all that big here, but authorities are coming down on the side of caution for the time being.

soulster
03-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Japanese officials are very concerned because one of the four nuclear reactors can't keep the rods cooled.

pshark
03-11-2011, 12:51 PM
All the beaches here on the Monterey Peninsula are closed. The tsunami was scheduled to hit here at 8:45 which has come and gone but, so far so good. It wasn't supposed to be all that big here, but authorities are coming down on the side of caution for the time being.Reports are just now coming in that Santa Cruz is showing some damage, no words yet on how bad

sophisticated_soul
03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Live on TV as it was happening. I watched well into early morning. I know we won't see anything like that this far [[San Diego) from the epicenter, but I think it is better to err on the the side of caution and be warned.

selbmarsh2000
03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
All the beaches here on the Monterey Peninsula are closed. The tsunami was scheduled to hit here at 8:45 which has come and gone but, so far so good. It wasn't supposed to be all that big here, but authorities are coming down on the side of caution for the time being.

LA and Orange County as well.

tomato tom
03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
This is awful. My prayers go out to those lost and those affected. X

Doug-Morgan
03-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Ralph.....
......Although I'm inland by about 200 miles, aparently the tsumani was a non event on the Washington coast, too. A report I saw said a wave about a foot high hit in the Grey's Harbour area, about 100 miles south of Seattle, with no reports of damage. Haven't heard anything from the Portland area, where there was some concern that it would wash up the Columbia River.

tomato tom
03-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Now we have a radioactive alert from the power stations in Japan. Can it get any worse? Please God no. Fatalities rising constantly. Feel so impotent, not being able to help from so far away. My heart goes out, but I cant do anything!Not working tomorrow, so going to local Red Cross to see if there is anything I can do from this end. Paulo.xxxx

selbmarsh2000
03-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Now we have a radioactive alert from the power stations in Japan. Can it get any worse? Please God no. Fatalities rising constantly. Feel so impotent, not being able to help from so far away. My heart goes out, but I cant do anything!Not working tomorrow, so going to local Red Cross to see if there is anything I can do from this end. Paulo.xxxx

Watching MSNBC and the one plant is close to meltdown. This is so scary.

jillfoster
03-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Watching MSNBC and the one plant is close to meltdown. This is so scary.

A perfect example of why green power development is so important. A wind turbine certainly won't contaminate an entire region with radiation.

ralpht
03-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Doug,
Some town in Northersn California did get some of that wave. Apparently a couple of guys went out to watch the ocean and one of them was swept away by the water. That is about the worst I've heard so far.

tamla617
03-12-2011, 04:43 PM
dont start the wind turbine stuff.they're useless.it takes years to get back the energy that it took to make them.just off our coast i can see them.it will be the biggest in the world when finished and nearly everytime i've seen them half arent working.in the big freeze [[by our standards) they didnt work!they have to be heated aswell.the power for that comes from the grid not the power the windmill is producing.so the wind turbines were in negative generation,just to have them it cost power.if the wind is too strong they have to feather the blades so they dont turn.it would strip the gear teeth.these people who push the enviroment to the detriment of all else dont tell the truth.ditto electric cars.how many power stations do the greens think will be needed to power the electric battery charging if we all have one?

japan is atomic power heavy because they have next to no fossil fuel of their own.no oil,gas or coal.they had to set about power generation that wasnt going to 1.wreck their balance of payments and 2.last for years and therfore relatively cheap.
this was planned in the 60's.there was no wave power,wind power,solar power and all those things and methods we have
now.or i should say there was but in a very primative form,very expensive and no use for what was required for a national grid.

i just hope they have spare capacity in the other nuclear sites to take up the short fall due to several stations going off line with no chance of commisioning.
its an absolutly terrible situation.i cant imagine what it must be like,thank god

KevLo
03-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

My Prayers and thoughs goes out to all of the people in Japan

jillfoster
03-12-2011, 11:31 PM
dont start the wind turbine stuff.they're useless.it takes years to get back the energy that it took to make them.just off our coast i can see them.it will be the biggest in the world when finished and nearly everytime i've seen them half arent working.in the big freeze [[by our standards) they didnt work!they have to be heated aswell.the power for that comes from the grid not the power the windmill is producing.so the wind turbines were in negative generation,just to have them it cost power.if the wind is too strong they have to feather the blades so they dont turn.it would strip the gear teeth.these people who push the enviroment to the detriment of all else dont tell the truth.ditto electric cars.how many power stations do the greens think will be needed to power the electric battery charging if we all have one?

japan is atomic power heavy because they have next to no fossil fuel of their own.no oil,gas or coal.they had to set about power generation that wasnt going to 1.wreck their balance of payments and 2.last for years and therfore relatively cheap.
this was planned in the 60's.there was no wave power,wind power,solar power and all those things and methods we have
now.or i should say there was but in a very primative form,very expensive and no use for what was required for a national grid.

i just hope they have spare capacity in the other nuclear sites to take up the short fall due to several stations going off line with no chance of commisioning.
its an absolutly terrible situation.i cant imagine what it must be like,thank god

what are you talking about they have to be heated? there are wind turbines in Antarctica.... how do you think the research facilities there get their electricity to run their scientific equipment?

marv2
03-13-2011, 12:25 AM
This is the roughest I've seen. Let's do pray for the people in Japan and those in North America and other parts of the World that have yet to be able to get in touch with their families in Japan.

tamla617
03-13-2011, 05:23 AM
jill foster
yeah the arctic/anarctic,they're a different type i guarentee they are heated by a different way,gas or oil.
and ours have to be heated below a certain temp.when everyones drawing the most power.

they're smaller,not 100 foot dia.and then they have generators with back ups.

grapevine
03-13-2011, 07:06 AM
...Japan's earthquake shifts the earth's axis by 25 centimetres [[10 inches) ...causing the day to get a little bit shorter...!!!

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/225741-Japan-s-quake-shifts-earth-s-axis-by-25-centimetres

:)

vcq
03-27-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm IN Japan, and although I'm not in the affected region, it was heartbreaking to watch it unfold live on TV. We felt the aftershock from "the big one," and my students knew right away that this was no ordinary earthquake. It's been a tough couple of weeks over here, and the situation at Fukushima hasn't helped, but at least cherry blossom season will provide a welcome distraction.