PDA

View Full Version : Should Diana Do A Tribute Song To Michael On Her New Album?

test

Boogiedown
11-11-2019, 03:02 PM
---Their close relationship is legendary , yet Diana has never paid a recorded tribute to their friendship since Michael's passing. Presuming she wanted to , Diana mainly hasn't had a chance, she hasn't recorded an album since he died in 2009.
Seems like it would be a fitting way to let the world know he still has a place in her heart [[if it is so) , and this long passing of time would make it seem hardly a cash in. Kind of risky actually , considering the current tide , but it could be done in a way that steers far away from appearing to side on such issues.

Actually there are a couple of ways to do this , one would be a newly written song [[ written by?) referencing Michael [[ MICHAEL could even be the song's title), or she could simply pay a remembrance by performing one of his songs from his catalogue. Trouble is, when I think of Jackson's hits, none of them jump out as appropriate for the purpose here. Or maybe I'm overlooking some titles....

Just a thought , it might be something to add some zing to this new project. Any thoughts?

jobeterob
11-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Didn’t she perform You Are Not Alone several times as a tribute?

It is on some album as well but perhaps not an American release.

Trouble is - isn’t that song written by R Kelly?

Bluebrock
11-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Didn’t she perform You Are Not Alone several times as a tribute?

It is on some album as well but perhaps not an American release.

Trouble is - isn’t that song written by R Kelly?

Her version of this was included on the UK album Voice of Love. It was indeed written by R.Kelly. There is no way she would perform this nowadays.
It's a great song but totally inappropriate for her these days

Bluebrock
11-11-2019, 04:19 PM
---Their close relationship is legendary , yet Diana has never paid a recorded tribute to their friendship since Michael's passing. Presuming she wanted to , Diana mainly hasn't had a chance, she hasn't recorded an album since he died in 2009.
Seems like it would be a fitting way to let the world know he still has a place in her heart [[if it is so) , and this long passing of time would make it seem hardly a cash in. Kind of risky actually , considering the current tide , but it could be done in a way that steers far away from appearing to side on such issues.

Actually there are a couple of ways to do this , one would be a newly written song [[ written by?) referencing Michael [[ MICHAEL could even be the song's title), or she could simply pay a remembrance by performing one of his songs from his catalogue. Trouble is, when I think of Jackson's hits, none of them jump out as appropriate for the purpose here. Or maybe I'm overlooking some titles....

Just a thought , it might be something to add some zing to this new project. Any thoughts?
It is highly unlikely to happen. It would not be greeted with universal acclaim if she recorded a musical tribute to him. There are way too many unanswered questions regarding Michael Jackson. It is best to leave such an idea at the starting block.
I am neither defending or condoning Michael Jackson. I just don't think this would be a good idea.

vgalindo
11-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Her version of this was included on the UK album Voice of Love. It was indeed written by R.Kelly. There is no way she would perform this nowadays.
It's a great song but totally inappropriate for her these days
Didn’t she just perform this song to Katherine Jackson earlier this year?

reese
11-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Didn’t she just perform this song to Katherine Jackson earlier this year?

Yes she did, a couple of months ago. And as mentioned above, it was the closing number on her initial MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY tour.

Re a song on the new album, if she wants to, more power to her. But I don't think its necessary. Most people know that Diana loved Michael deeply. Just a few months ago, she tweeted a message of support in the wake of LEAVING NEVERLAND.

JohnnyB
11-11-2019, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=reese;549077]Yes she did, a couple of months ago. And as mentioned above, it was the closing number on her initial MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY tour.

Re a song on the new album, if she wants to, more power to her. But I don't think its necessary. Most people know that Diana loved Michael deeply. Just a few months ago, she tweeted a message of support in the wake of LEAVING NEVERLAND.[/QUOTE

Opinions are so polarizing now, it’s almost a no-win situation regardless of the intent if Diana chose to do this. But if she ever desires to record a song in tribute, Gone Too Soon could be a good choice...

reese
11-11-2019, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=reese;549077]Yes she did, a couple of months ago. And as mentioned above, it was the closing number on her initial MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY tour.

Re a song on the new album, if she wants to, more power to her. But I don't think its necessary. Most people know that Diana loved Michael deeply. Just a few months ago, she tweeted a message of support in the wake of LEAVING NEVERLAND.[/QUOTE

Opinions are so polarizing now, it’s almost a no-win situation regardless of the intent if Diana chose to do this. But if she ever desires to record a song in tribute, Gone Too Soon could be a good choice...

I agree. Even if she decides to pay tribute, I'm sure someone will think of it as exploitation. As with many things, it seems that Diana is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

daviddh
11-11-2019, 08:15 PM
She has several times but I have issues with this as she never did a song for florence Ballard after her death.
Just my opinion.

PeaceNHarmony
11-11-2019, 08:21 PM
I repeat: Oh, bless your heart.

midnightman
11-11-2019, 08:21 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/wYyTHMm50f4Dm/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ad0ed719db532c45c429a7cb57384 3d6b2b2d4755&rid=giphy.gif

vgalindo
11-11-2019, 08:34 PM
She has several times but I have issues with this as she never did a song for florence Ballard after her death.
Just my opinion.
Every time she sings an early Supremes song it’s a tribute to Florence Ballard. In the 70s she always mentioned Mary and Florence when she did her Supremes medley.

khansperac
11-11-2019, 08:42 PM
She also highlighted Florence in the “Missing You” video.

jobeterob
11-11-2019, 10:14 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/wYyTHMm50f4Dm/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ad0ed719db532c45c429a7cb57384 3d6b2b2d4755&rid=giphy.gif

Lol

Bless your heart for this too

captainjames
11-11-2019, 10:27 PM
She also highlighted Florence in the “Missing You” video.

Yes she has and it included Florence, Tammi Terrell, Paul Williams, Marvin Gaye and her own mother.

marv2
11-11-2019, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=JohnnyB;549080]

I agree. Even if she decides to pay tribute, I'm sure someone will think of it as exploitation. As with many things, it seems that Diana is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.
Well she exploited Marvin Gaye's death with "Missing You", so why not?

marv2
11-11-2019, 10:51 PM
Just my opinion.

A song? She barely even talked about Florence's death. I know she never dedicated a song to Florence in any of her shows.

vgalindo
11-11-2019, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=reese;549085]
Well she exploited Marvin Gaye's death with "Missing You", so why not?
And Mary Wilson exploited Florence Ballard in her book! So what’s your point?

marv2
11-12-2019, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;549106]

She also dedicated "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You" to Florence in the Supremes concerts. She still dedicates "I Am Changing" to Florence in her own concerts today! Mary Wilson always mentions Flo. She promised her that she would tell her story, that she would "take care of it" and she did!

marv2
11-12-2019, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;549106]

My point was clear, if you knew how to read for comprehension! The question was asked whether Diane should have a Michael Jackson tribute song on her album [[which i wouldn't hold my breathe looking for it anytime soon if ever....) and if it would come off as exploitative. I responded with, why not, she exploited Marvin Gaye's death with the song "Missing You". Now I cannot believe that you are this dumb to ask me what my point is when it was spelled out VERY clearly before your weak ass snide remark about Mary exploiting Florence Ballard by including her in her book. Florence was a part of Mary's life and story or is that too difficult for you to understand? If it is, I cannot help you. That is not my field of expertise. Seek a professional.

marv2
11-12-2019, 01:17 AM
Just my opinion.

This is what Diana Ross said almost immediately after Florence's death:

Ross didn't talk to Wilson for her book or People for their article, nor has she since had much to say about what happened with Ballard and the Supremes, even in her own memoir, Secrets of a Sparrow. But Diana: A Biography quotes a 1976 interview given to Chicago Tribune Magazine in which Ross said, "Florence was always on a totally negative trip. She wanted to be a victim. Maybe I should have slapped her face a few times, tried to knock some sense into her. She was one of those people you wanted to grab and shake and yell, 'Get your [expletive] life together.'"

She went on to say a few months later:

"Look, Florence is dead, I'm not. Let's not make a big thing out of this....."

That is what that self centered cow said to an interviewer when he asked Ross about Florence Ballard in 1976!

https://www.eonline.com/news/887285/the-darkest-moments-in-the-history-of-girl-groups

Roberta75
11-12-2019, 01:27 AM
This is what Diana Ross said almost immediately after Florence's death:

Ross didn't talk to Wilson for her book or People for their article, nor has she since had much to say about what happened with Ballard and the Supremes, even in her own memoir, Secrets of a Sparrow. But Diana: A Biography quotes a 1976 interview given to Chicago Tribune Magazine in which Ross said, "Florence was always on a totally negative trip. She wanted to be a victim. Maybe I should have slapped her face a few times, tried to knock some sense into her. She was one of those people you wanted to grab and shake and yell, 'Get your [expletive] life together.'"

She went on to say a few months later:

"Look, Florence is dead, I'm not. Let's not make a big thing out of this....."

That is what that self centered cow said to an interviewer when he asked Ross about Florence Ballard in 1976!

https://www.eonline.com/news/887285/the-darkest-moments-in-the-history-of-girl-groups

And another real big and real bitter self centered cow said this a few years ago.Hehehehehehehehehe.

"Originally Posted by marv2 https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/DXTsS3zXvP_SNdXEEr8wHGQVQ5_qF3U_4CZN2tq-Hc6Hw7tqm2yH5g5QDCTlCmzYEQiO-Ugf3WuNfa0enZ9eBNT9A1H5Fwb7hi88bn5P=s0-d-e1-ft#http://soulfuldetroit.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?p=353706#post353706) October 2016
I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."

vgalindo
11-12-2019, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=vgalindo;549108]

My point was clear, if you knew how to read for comprehension! The question was asked whether Diane should have a Michael Jackson tribute song on her album [[which i wouldn't hold my breathe looking for it anytime soon if ever....) and if it would come off as exploitative. I responded with, why not, she exploited Marvin Gaye's death with the song "Missing You". Now I cannot believe that you are this dumb to ask me what my point is when it was spelled out VERY clearly before your weak ass snide remark about Mary exploiting Florence Ballard by including her in her book. Florence was a part of Mary's life and story or is that too difficult for you to understand? If it is, I cannot help you. That is not my field of expertise. Seek a professional.
Still doesn’t change what I said. If Diana Ross’ dedicated song is exploiting Marvin Gayes death. Then Mary Wilson exploited what happened to Florence to make a buck! I hope that’s not too difficult for you to understand! Just like Marvin Gaye was a part of Diana Ross’ life and she dedicated a song to him. If that is exploiting his death. Mary exploited Florence‘s death in her book and still doing it in her tributes and concerts according to you. And you of all people need to seek professional help with your obsession of Diana Ross. Lol.

vgalindo
11-12-2019, 01:42 AM
And another real big and real bitter self centered cow said this a few years ago.Hehehehehehehehehe.

"Originally Posted by marv2 https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/DXTsS3zXvP_SNdXEEr8wHGQVQ5_qF3U_4CZN2tq-Hc6Hw7tqm2yH5g5QDCTlCmzYEQiO-Ugf3WuNfa0enZ9eBNT9A1H5Fwb7hi88bn5P=s0-d-e1-ft#http://soulfuldetroit.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?p=353706#post353706) October 2016
I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."

He can’t stay out of them. He is too obsessed! My goodness he needs to seek professional help.

jobeterob
11-12-2019, 02:26 AM
He’d likely calm down if he got his camera back or if Mary would receive him - but maybe he needs a partner too

Bluebrock
11-12-2019, 03:32 AM
Getting back on track with regard to the original topic i will repeat what i said earlier that it would not be a good idea to record a tribute song. Just look how this particular thread has exploded at the mere mention of it. It is a far too toxic a subject. Diana's comeback album needs to be an upbeat happy affair. We do not need Michael Jackson to be involved in any way.

Ollie9
11-12-2019, 06:03 AM
getting back on track with regard to the original topic i will repeat what i said earlier that it would not be a good idea to record a tribute song. Just look how this particular thread has exploded at the mere mention of it. It is a far too toxic a subject. Diana's comeback album needs to be an upbeat happy affair. We do not need michael jackson to be involved in any way.

***agree***

midnightman
11-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Getting back on track with regard to the original topic i will repeat what i said earlier that it would not be a good idea to record a tribute song. Just look how this particular thread has exploded at the mere mention of it. It is a far too toxic a subject. Diana's comeback album needs to be an upbeat happy affair. We do not need Michael Jackson to be involved in any way.

Exactly. She should focus on making another great album. She's done enough tributes. Doing a new one for MJ wouldn't be a good luck considering what we know now...

Bluebrock
11-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Exactly. She should focus on making another great album. She's done enough tributes. Doing a new one for MJ wouldn't be a good luck considering what we know now...

Exactly. Feelings are still running high with regard to Michael Jackson. Some refuse to believe the sordid stories that have been circulating whilst some are equally determined to further sully his already damaged reputation.
Somewhere in between perhaps lies the truth.
It would be a risky move for her to record a tribute to him. She should distance herself from him and concentrate on recording what will probably be her penultimate album.

Boogiedown
11-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Exactly. Feelings are still running high with regard to Michael Jackson. Some refuse to believe the sordid stories that have been circulating whilst some are equally determined to further sully his already damaged reputation.
Somewhere in between perhaps lies the truth.
It would be a risky move for her to record a tribute to him. She should distance herself from him and concentrate on recording what will probably be her penultimate album.

Good points and your strong response has me softening my own position Bluebrock. Part of me wants to say, this is Diana's [[last?) chance to make such a tribute , if she so desires , but it would have to be totally as something from the heart , lamenting a rather sad outcome of someone she guided and witnessed progress with such promise into an entity beyond belief. Sort of hard to just say , "too bad" old friend, and on with the dance music. Maybe her first album in this many years and at this point in her career should be about a little bit more.
Or ... maybe not !! Why go beyond the easy stuff. Maybe that's enough. Again , I guess it would totally depend on how much doing a song like that would mean to her. And maybe her private thoughts and memories are just that and better kept that way.

Perhaps I should've titled this "COULD" [[instead of "should") Diana put a tribute song for Michael on this LP.? Could she pull it off? Has Michael's legacy really plunged that low? Is he now that toxic that he can't be mentioned? The fairy dust has worn off....

jobeterob
11-12-2019, 02:30 PM
There nub of the issue is that Michael might actually have abused children and no one want to associate with that. And there is no real way to put that question or doubt to bed.

Bluebrock
11-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Good points and your strong response has me softening my own position Bluebrock. Part of me wants to say, this is Diana's [[last?) chance to make such a tribute , if she so desires , but it would have to be totally as something from the heart , lamenting a rather sad outcome of someone she guided and witnessed progress with such promise into an entity beyond belief. Sort of hard to just say , "too bad" old friend, and on with the dance music. Maybe her first album in this many years and at this point in her career should be about a little bit more.
Or ... maybe not !! Why go beyond the easy stuff. Maybe that's enough. Again , I guess it would totally depend on how much doing a song like that would mean to her. And maybe her private thoughts and memories are just that and better kept that way.

Perhaps I should've titled this "COULD" [[instead of "should") Diana put a tribute song for Michael on this LP.? Could she pull it off? Has Michael's legacy really plunged that low? Is he now that toxic that he can't be mentioned? The fairy dust has worn off....
It's a tough one Boogiedown. There is no doubt that she was very close to him in the 70's and 80's, but not quite so much thereafter. She is such a private person and will not be comfortable talking about him in public. Whether she is willing to actually pay tribute to him on record remains to be seen. I still think it highly unlikely, and i think it is best if she continues to remain silent with regard to him, and i think she will

Bluebrock
11-12-2019, 02:48 PM
There nub of the issue is that Michael might actually have abused children and no one want to associate with that. And there is no real way to put that question or doubt to bed.

Exactly. Whatever she does she will be criticised in certain quarters. She knows this and will be anxious not to cause any further controversy.

daviddh
11-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Well I don't think she should.imo.
Move on.she should do her own thing

marv2
11-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Well I don't think she should.imo.
Move on.she should do her own thing

We all know that it would not be sincere.......

Boogiedown
11-13-2019, 03:14 PM
It's a tough one Boogiedown. There is no doubt that she was very close to him in the 70's and 80's, but not quite so much thereafter. She is such a private person and will not be comfortable talking about him in public. Whether she is willing to actually pay tribute to him on record remains to be seen. I still think it highly unlikely, and i think it is best if she continues to remain silent with regard to him, and i think she will

It would appear that at some point after the eighties , Diana and Michael distanced themselves from each other for whatever reasons. Based on that , I would say this was a relationship , while once quite close , had cooled ....and since that continued to be the case right up until the point of Michael's demise [[ If I'm understanding that correctly ) ...it doesn't seem productive to revisit this long ago relationship especially based on the potential volatility of such a revisit.

marv2
11-13-2019, 03:22 PM
It would appear that at some point after the eighties , Diana and Michael distanced themselves from each other for whatever reasons. Based on that , I would say this was a relationship , while once quite close , had cooled ....and since that continued to be the case right up until the point of Michael's demise [[ If I'm understanding that correctly ) ...it doesn't seem productive to revisit this long ago relationship especially based on the potential volatility of such a revisit.

She's not going to do it, don't worry. Diana Ross distanced herself from Michael when he refused to attend her last wedding. When the child abuse claims arose, she stayed clear of him all the way. You never saw them together much if at all during the 90s and onward.

Bluebrock
11-13-2019, 06:05 PM
She's not going to do it, don't worry. Diana Ross distanced herself from Michael when he refused to attend her last wedding. When the child abuse claims arose, she stayed clear of him all the way. You never saw them together much if at all during the 90s and onward.
In that case i shall stop worrying. Thank you for the reassurring words. It means a lot

Roberta75
11-13-2019, 06:11 PM

You never saw them together much if at all during the 90s and onward well in public they were occasionally seen together and Michael and Diana probably meet in private a few times a year but youd know nothing about that as you dont know them.

marv2
11-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Anytime. Oh, by the way there was that one time Diana appeared on stage with Michael at the Apollo. This was after she became a drunk alcoholic in the early 2000s

jobeterob
11-13-2019, 06:49 PM
Ah, when he named her guardian of his children?

vgalindo
11-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Anytime. Oh, by the way there was that one time Diana appeared on stage with Michael at the Apollo. This was after she became a drunk alcoholic in the early 2000s

I swear.. Yo have no shame! You are such an embarrassment..

daviddh
11-13-2019, 06:58 PM
If my comments offended anyone that was not my intention. I should proof read my comments first .
But I merely felt it was not a good idea for her to record a song for Michael or anyone.just move on and record new music for us to enjoy

vgalindo
11-13-2019, 07:27 PM
If my comments offended anyone that was not my intention. I should proof read my comments first .
But I merely felt it was not a good idea for her to record a song for Michael or anyone.just move on and record new music for us to enjoy
Daviddh. I’m sorry but my comments weren't meant for you. And I don’t believe your comments offended anyone.

Roberta75
11-13-2019, 09:44 PM
I swear.. Yo have no shame! You are such an embarrassment..

Not a lick of shame or decency. Im sorry but hes a sad and pathetic and real bitter lonely old troll.

Boogiedown
11-13-2019, 11:42 PM

well I'm almost ready to give this up, but then I remembered that just this year , Diana did feel compelled to offer some input about some of the recent Michael attacks.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/25/diana-ross-michael-jackson-sexual-abuse-claims

[[https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/25/diana-ross-michael-jackson-sexual-abuse-claims)
Diana Ross has voiced support for Michael Jackson [[https://www.theguardian.com/music/michaeljackson) in the wake of the explosive Leaving Neverland [[https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/leaving-neverland) documentary, which features extensive allegations of child sexual abuse by Jackson.
Ross, who duetted live with Jackson and knew him for many years, wrote on Twitter [[https://twitter.com/DianaRoss/status/1109492548320415746): “This is what’s on my heart this morning. I believe and trust that Michael Jackson was and is a magnificent incredible force to me and to many others.” She called on people to stop the criticism of Jackson, writing “Stop in the name of love”, a reference to the title of one of her biggest hits with the Supremes.

This tells me that even to this day , there is a level of connectivity that Diana has toward Michael. I don't recall much blow-back toward her [[?) by making her comments. IF Diana decided she wanted to do a song written around him, maybe some of the lyrics have already been written in her statement. Instead of a song called MICHAEL , maybe its one titled THE FORCE.

Bluebrock
11-14-2019, 03:33 AM
You did nothing wrong David. We all know where the problem lies on this particular thread.

marv2
11-14-2019, 07:58 AM
well I'm almost ready to give this up, but then I remembered that just this year , Diana did feel compelled to offer some input about some of the recent Michael attacks.

This tells me that even to this day , there is a level of connectivity that Diana has toward Michael. I don't recall much blow-back toward her [[?) by making her comments. IF Diana decided she wanted to do a song written around him, maybe some of the lyrics have already been written in her statement. Instead of a song called MICHAEL , maybe its one titled THE FORCE.

She only commented about Michael after Barbra Striesand made a public comment.

marv2
11-14-2019, 08:03 AM
Mary Wilson was speaking up about and for Michael Jackson very early on like in this interview from 2003:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-9SIFyVOo&t=11s

RanRan79
11-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Marv give it a rest. You have a negative chip on your shoulder about a singer you've probably never met, because she didn't support Michael Jackson? Never mind the fact that he apparently didn't feel like she didn't support him, since he did will his children to Diana in the event his mother is unable to care for them. How is it that you're more mad about the situation than he was? That's weird dude.

And as far as exploitation, if what Diana did was exploiting Marvin, then the Commodores also exploited him. And if what they did was exploitation, then Marvin himself exploited Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy and Martin Luther King by recording "Abraham, Martin and John". And if what Marvin did was exploitation, then Mary Wilson exploited her own mother by recording and releasing "Darling Mother [[Johnnie Mae)". So if one can do it without criticism, can't they all? Or is this a pick and choose what is exploitative recording and what isn't depending on the cast of characters?

marv2
11-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Marv give it a rest. You have a negative chip on your shoulder about a singer you've probably never met, because she didn't support Michael Jackson? Never mind the fact that he apparently didn't feel like she didn't support him, since he did will his children to Diana in the event his mother is unable to care for them. How is it that you're more mad about the situation than he was? That's weird dude.

And as far as exploitation, if what Diana did was exploiting Marvin, then the Commodores also exploited him. And if what they did was exploitation, then Marvin himself exploited Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy and Martin Luther King by recording "Abraham, Martin and John". And if what Marvin did was exploitation, then Mary Wilson exploited her own mother by recording and releasing "Darling Mother [[Johnnie Mae)". So if one can do it without criticism, can't they all? Or is this a pick and choose what is exploitative recording and what isn't depending on the cast of characters?

I'm not giving nothing a rest! They want to talk about Diana Ross, then let's talk about her!

Boogiedown
11-16-2019, 12:29 AM
One song that Diana might consider doing as a nod toward Michael , both for the suggestive I'M MISSING YOU type lyrics and because Michael had a top ten hit with it from the THRILLER LP :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R49ndppAzIk

marv2
11-16-2019, 12:33 AM
One song that Diana might consider to do as a nod toward Michael , both for the suggestive I'M MISSING YOU lyrics and because Michael had a top ten hit with it :

The best tribute she could have gave was to have gone to Michael's funeral[[s) even if she did not sing like she did at Richard Pryor's funeral.

Boogiedown
11-16-2019, 12:37 AM
The best tribute she could have gave was to have gone to Michael's funeral[[s) even if she did not sing like she did at Richard Pryor's funeral.

She didn't attend his funeral ?? Who from Motown did??

Were Diana and Richard Pryor particularly associated??

Roberta75
11-16-2019, 01:02 AM

If she went youd be yapping about that if she sang youd be yapping at that. Your just a big old whiny and bitchy and negative and miserable yapping chihuahua. Diana Ross is eating you up. Get a new hobby lady!!!!

marv2
11-16-2019, 01:47 AM
She didn't attend his funeral ?? Who from Motown did??

Were Diana and Richard Pryor particularly associated??

No she did not and she was in town! The private one held at Forest Lawn nor the big memorial held at the Staples Center. Berry Gordy and Suzanne DePasse attended. Gladys Knight, Steve Wonder and Smokey Robinson attended the memorial service at the Staples Center along with Lionel Richie.

Diana Ross did two movies with Richard Pryor,but they really became friends when she would visit him after he became "ill" to seek his advice on how to overcome her alcohol and drug addiction. Amazing huh?

Bluebrock
11-16-2019, 03:18 AM

Bet you wished you had never started this particular thread Boogiedown.......

Circa 1824
11-16-2019, 07:28 AM
No to a tribute song to an accused pedophile.

Ollie9
11-16-2019, 07:40 AM
One song that Diana might consider doing as a nod toward Michael , both for the suggestive I'M MISSING YOU type lyrics and because Michael had a top ten hit with it from the THRILLER LP :

Not so keen on this version Boogie, but in truth i have never really been a a Patti fan. On the other hand i think the song would have been perfect for Diana's voice.
I would imagine the chances of her recording a tribute to M.J or anyone else for that matter are virtually nil. Done it bought the t-shirt as far as that goes.:eek:

jobucats
11-16-2019, 12:14 PM
No. To do so opens her up to receive backlash from her 'haters' who will invent some reason she should not have recorded an MJ song. She, for many years now, has steered away from giving any easy reason for her distracters to jump on the 'negative train.'

Motown Eddie
11-16-2019, 12:32 PM
I say that Diana should not do a tribute to Michael Jackson on her upcoming album. The release of the Leaving Neverland documentary has re-opened so many uncomfortable questions about Michael's life that such a tribute might not work. Heck: we didn't even mark the 50th Anniversary of "I Want You Back" on this forum [[if there was one, I missed it).

Roberta75
11-16-2019, 12:50 PM
No she did not and she was in town! The private one held at Forest Lawn nor the big memorial held at the Staples Center. Berry Gordy and Suzanne DePasse attended. Gladys Knight, Steve Wonder and Smokey Robinson attended the memorial service at the Staples Center along with Lionel Richie.

Diana Ross did two movies with Richard Pryor,but they really became friends when she would visit him after he became "ill" to seek his advice on how to overcome her alcohol and drug addiction. Amazing huh?

In his mind real warped mind Marv2 has full acess to Dianas dianas calendars and diaries. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

SatansBlues
11-16-2019, 01:00 PM
It is highly unlikely to happen. It would not be greeted with universal acclaim if she recorded a musical tribute to him. There are way too many unanswered questions regarding Michael Jackson. It is best to leave such an idea at the starting block.
I am neither defending or condoning Michael Jackson. I just don't think this would be a good idea.
100% agree.

daviddh
11-16-2019, 09:06 PM
I think Diana already got heat for sticking up for MJ.... but...food for thought...she did not speak up for Cosby

copley
11-16-2019, 10:38 PM
In answer to the question 'no'!

jboy88
11-16-2019, 11:30 PM
I think the tribute she did on her 2010 tour, when MJ’s death was fresh on everyone’s mind, was enough. Maybe a J5 cover would be more appropriate.

jboy88
11-16-2019, 11:35 PM
I think Diana already got heat for sticking up for MJ.... but...food for thought...she did not speak up for Cosby
Why would she speak up for Cosby? Aside from appearing in her ‘71 TV special, what association does she have with him?

marv2
11-17-2019, 02:08 AM
Why would she speak up for Cosby? Aside from appearing in her ‘71 TV special, what association does she have with him?

Quite a bit, but I'm not going to go there.........

Really, at this point in time. Other than the few on here and a few more in the outside World, who would care what Diana Ross had to said or did about anything? Just being honest.

marv2
11-17-2019, 02:09 AM
Dionne Warwick spoke up for everyone!

Bluebrock
11-17-2019, 03:26 AM
Quite a bit, but I'm not going to go there.........

Really, at this point in time. Other than the few on here and a few more in the outside World, who would care what Diana Ross had to said or did about anything? Just being honest.
Well you appear to be one of the "few"who cares what Diana Ross says or does. You sure as hell post comments about her on an almost daily basis.

midnightman
11-17-2019, 11:50 AM
I say that Diana should not do a tribute to Michael Jackson on her upcoming album. The release of the Leaving Neverland documentary has re-opened so many uncomfortable questions about Michael's life that such a tribute might not work. Heck: we didn't even mark the 50th Anniversary of "I Want You Back" on this forum [[if there was one, I missed it).

No, no one has done one. I did look for it but no they haven't. The Leaving Neverland doc does make it EXTREMELY hard for the remaining Motown artists still living though to wanna pay any tribute anyway. PLUS, she didn't exactly come out smelling like roses after her tweet about Michael so I doubt she'll record a tribute anyways! LOL

Boogiedown
11-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Bet you wished you had never started this particular thread Boogiedown.......

Actually its quite ok, its interesting to read these responses. Seems like no one is really on the fence about this. She shouldn't do it. There just isn't enough to be gained by such a 'tribute' to Michael, at this point it will just be seen by many as some kind of endorsement of someone who chose to act out some very questionable behaviors which regrettably now overshadow the other aspects of his career.

I guess I was trying to reason why Diana would even want to do an album at this point in her life? Is there a point to it, beyond 'why not'? Maybe its a chance to do a nod toward certain people who along the way impacted her career. Maybe its chance to be a little nostalgic.

Perhaps here is a song that would give her the chance to be reflective and to sort of indirectly acknowledge a certain set of brothers whose performance careers intertwined with hers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UasRejDBY9g

jboy88
11-17-2019, 02:37 PM
The Jackson 5 were featured in the Making of Motown documentary, but sadly nothing else. A planned tribute at the Grammys was nix because of the then upcoming Leaving Neverland series, which pretty much served it’s intended purpose. The MeToo movement has made it a taboo for journalists to show skepticism for people alleging sexual misconduct, which is why mainstream media has been so Anti- Michael lately. Thus, many are choosing to remain quite about the subject.

Bluebrock
11-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Actually its quite ok, its interesting to read these responses. Seems like no one is really on the fence about this. She shouldn't do it. There just isn't enough to be gained by such a 'tribute' to Michael, at this point it will just be seen by many as some kind of endorsement of someone who chose to act out some very questionable behaviors which regrettably now overshadow the other aspects of his career.

I guess I was trying to reason why Diana would even want to do an album at this point in her life? Is there a point to it, beyond 'why not'? Maybe its a chance to do a nod toward certain people who along the way impacted her career. Maybe its chance to be a little nostalgic.

Perhaps here is a song that would give her the chance to be reflective and to sort of indirectly acknowledge a certain set of brothers whose performance careers intertwined with hers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UasRejDBY9g

She actually wants to do this album, and her kids [[well two of them) were very keen for her to do it. Had it been up to her she may well nit have bothered, and there is another very good reason to do this album. It's existence will ensure the dreadful "i love you" will not go down in history as being her swansong!

Circa 1824
11-17-2019, 04:13 PM
Which 2 kids ?

daviddh
11-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Hope the album does well for her.
I would like her to go out with a bang. Not sure what her process is but I hope she finds some great songs...looking forward to it.obviously this will most likely be her last.

khansperac
11-17-2019, 06:16 PM
I think it was mentioned that she has a 2 album deal. Who knows what may be in store if this comeback continues and those 2 albums are successful.

midnightman
11-17-2019, 09:11 PM
She actually wants to do this album, and her kids [[well two of them) were very keen for her to do it. Had it been up to her she may well nit have bothered, and there is another very good reason to do this album. It's existence will ensure the dreadful "i love you" will not go down in history as being her swansong!

I'm guessing the ones anxious in Diana releasing new albums were her two sons Ross and Evan. I know Evan was at least!

I don't expect #1 albums with her career revival but I do hope they're well done albums and finally put a stamp on her musical career. I definitely think she wasn't in the mood when she put out the "I Love You" album and it was a come down from the "Every Day Is a New Day" CD.

marv2
11-17-2019, 09:31 PM
Hope the album does well for her.
I would like her to go out with a bang. Not sure what her process is but I hope she finds some great songs...looking forward to it.obviously this will most likely be her last.

Her kids are suppose to be writing the songs. It is going to bomb if it ever sees the light of day.

captainjames
11-17-2019, 11:26 PM
Although this will not be a duet album I can see Rhonda and Diana on a song and even Scherrie and Mary.

Bluebrock
11-18-2019, 03:53 AM
Although this will not be a duet album I can see Rhonda and Diana on a song and even Scherrie and Mary.
Stranger things have happened.

Bluebrock
11-18-2019, 03:55 AM
Her kids are suppose to be writing the songs. It is going to bomb if it ever sees the light of day.
I can only imagine your devastation if the album doesn't "bomb". It will make you even more bitter and twisted than you already are - if that is at all possible!

Bluebrock
11-18-2019, 03:56 AM
I'm guessing the ones anxious in Diana releasing new albums were her two sons Ross and Evan. I know Evan was at least!

I don't expect #1 albums with her career revival but I do hope they're well done albums and finally put a stamp on her musical career. I definitely think she wasn't in the mood when she put out the "I Love You" album and it was a come down from the "Every Day Is a New Day" CD.
Actually it is Evan and Rhonda, but they are all fully behind the project.

midnightman
11-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Actually it is Evan and Rhonda, but they are all fully behind the project.

I did think it was Rhonda but I wasn't too sure. :)

Roberta75
11-18-2019, 04:04 PM
I can only imagine your devastation if the album doesn't "bomb". It will make you even more bitter and twisted than you already are - if that is at all possible!

Not possible. Hes the most warped and bitter person to ever post on this here forum.

IMissFlo93
11-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Sorry, but it's still too soon for MJ.