PDA

View Full Version : Anita Baker's "Rapture" -- released 25 years ago today!

test

jdwheat
03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
On this date 25 years ago [[March 8, 1986), the album "Rapture" by Anita Baker was released, and music fans everywhere were treated to the "sweet love," mystery and rapture of Anita Baker's soulful voice.

Here are the details, as told on Wikipedia: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture_[[Anita_Baker_album)

And from allmusic.com: http://http://www.allmusic.com/album/rapture-r1192

A lot of fans were already familiar with Anita through her work with the late '70s group Chapter 8 and her first album "The Songstress" in 1983. But Rapture is considered the breakout work that introduced Anita to the musical mainstream.

Anita was working as a legal secretary at the time she recorded the album, mostly at R&D Studio in Glendale, California. The album was produced by Anita and Michael J. Powell and engineered by Barney Perkins. Released on Elektra Records, the LP sold over 8 million copies worldwide [[5 million in the U.S.) and earned two Grammy Awards. The hit "Sweet Love" reached #8 on Billboard's Top 100 singles chart and also won a Grammy. [[The LP reached #11 on Billboard's main album chart.)

The album received praise for its blending of soul and jazz styles into a sound that epitomized class and, along with Luther Vandross' work, helped set the tone for the quiet storm style of the next 10 years.

Anita's other albums also achieved excellence, but for many, Rapture is the special one. So, if you're inclined today, pull out your record, CD, cassette or MP3s, and celebrate the 25th anniversary of one of the classiest albums of our time.

Tracks: Sweet Love, You Bring Me Joy, Caught Up in the Rapture, Been So Long, Mystery, No One in the World, Same Ole Love, Watch Your Step

skooldem1
03-08-2011, 10:54 AM
One of the best albums of all time. IMO.

tamla617
03-08-2011, 11:54 AM
25 years!
that doesn't seem possible,cant believe it.
but i do remember buying it,in april 86.
where does the time go?
and it was a great album too.

abfan
03-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Did I hear someone say Anita Baker lol.....I was a teeny winny when that came out, barely a teen.I dont know her voice stuck with me at that age. but that's my Number 1 diva of all time

marv2
03-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Don't tell me this please! Has it been that long already? I remember the first time I saw Anita with Chapter 8 was in 1980 at the Nirvana Club. The tickets were $5.00!

nysister
03-08-2011, 12:20 PM
So many of my musician friends loved that Rapture album because they said that Anita let the musicians play, and no matter what car I rode in, that cassette was in the tape deck..LOL!

Kamasu_Jr
03-08-2011, 12:27 PM
So many of my musician friends loved that Rapture album because they said that Anita let the musicians play, and no matter what car I rode in, that cassette was in the tape deck..LOL!

Rapture was a huge hit, so massive, it was kind of hard to follow it up. What came after was kind of anti-climatic in my opinion.

abfan
03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Kamasu_Jr
Rapture was a huge hit, so massive, it was kind of hard to follow it up. What came after was kind of anti-climatic in my opinion.

Actually Her 4th Release 'Compositions' is my fav out of all..kind of jazzy sound to it..With tracks like.Whatever it Takes Lonely,Soul Inspiration.Perfect Love Affair .. Cant go wrong

soulster
03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I like the debut album "Rapture", but it gets boring fast. I really can't stand entire albums of mellow or mid-tempo and slow songs. ZZZZZZZZzzzz....

topdiva1
03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
RAPTURE - certainly one of the most memorable albums ever. Still works today 0 a true time tested CLASSIC.

Drew P. Nads
03-08-2011, 02:04 PM
RAPTURE - certainly one of the most memorable albums ever. Still works today 0 a true time tested CLASSIC.
One of the few albums where I love every single track and the fact that all the music comes from people playing instruments [[too much music sounded synthetic in the 80s) and great backing vocalists. Perri as I recall.

nosey
03-08-2011, 03:09 PM
She was staying at the same hotel where we were having our family reunion in Lanham, MD in 1986. She was on the same bill as the Controllers and when she came into the hotel restaurant pandemonium broke out..........well only amongst the Black folks! LOL!

marv2
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
She was staying at the same hotel where we were having our family reunion in Lanham, MD in 1986. She was on the same bill as the Controllers and when she came into the hotel restaurant pandemonium broke out..........well only amongst the Black folks! LOL!

Amazing huh Nosey? LOL! She and I flew home together out of LaGuardia, to Detroit Christmas 2006 and I was the ONLY one to speak with her in the gate area. I don't think others recognized her.

smark21
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Great album, I remember owning the cassette and playing it a lot in the late 80's. Every song is a winner, no filler on that one.

uptight
03-09-2011, 03:59 AM
I remember it being one of my favorite albums at that time [[as with her next couple of albums). I would play it all the way through, over and over. The tracks were on all the R&B and jazz stations 24/7.

Now, for some reason, I have not been able to play any of her albums since the 80s and early 90s. Did I outgrow them, or did they quickly become outdated? Maybe it is the change in taste regarding those 80s synthesizers.

Once in a while I think maybe I should play it for old-time's sake. But digging through bins of old CDs makes it less appealing. Since it came up here now, if I come across it in the near future, I might rip the tracks into my iTunes. Then I can listen with fresh ears and see what happens...