PDA

View Full Version : Phil Collins quits music business

test

jobeterob
03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Phil Collins quits music business

The 60-year-old star has admitted he feels like "it's a good time to stop" in his career.

Singer Phil Collins is quitting the music business.

The 60-year-old star has admitted he feels like "it's a good time to stop" in his career.

He said: "I look at the MTV Music Awards and think: 'I can't be in the same business as this.' I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me.

"I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely. I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return. That would be a great way to end the story, wouldn't it?"

Collins has recently been suffering from a number of health issues including a dislocated vertebra and hearing problems.

ralpht
03-07-2011, 09:14 PM
He just recently completed his Motown tribute album, using Babbitt, Eddy Willis and Ray Monette. I thought they did a nice job on this. I don't know how the work was received by the public. Maybe that has something to do with his decision. On the other hand, some of the things he mentions regarding the state of today's music business holds a lot of merit and I can relate to where he is coming from. Whatever he decides to do, I most certainly wish this talented man well.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Sadly, for all that Phil's accomplished, there are some in the media who are painting him as an angry, bitter guy who's walking away from an industry illed with a few jealous peers. The writer made sure to include a pretty nasty shot that a fellow musician made about Phil & that was a rather low blow. When Phil made his announcement, they picked up on the negative aspects, rather than his physical problems, problems which have been well-documented as far back as a few years ago, when his hearing problems were announced.

While not the biggest fan of Genesis nor Phil, I have definitely enjoyed some of their music & I wish Phil well.

imnokid
03-08-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm not a fan either, but the live version of him and a piano doing In The Air Tonight at one of the big benefits[[Secret Policeman's Ball?) was great.

ray_monette
03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
WE HAD A GREAT TIME WORKING ON THE ALBUM WITH PHIL,AND I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR HIM.
HERE'S THE REAL STORY FROM THE MAN HIMSELF:

http://www.philcollins.com/us/news/breaking-news-message-phil?sp_rid=NTE2MTA4MjcwNwS2&sp_mid=36354921&eml=36354921

RAY

Roberta75
03-08-2011, 12:59 PM
May God bless Mr. Collins and watch over him for a long and happy retirement.

ralpht
03-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Ray,
What a gas to work with this guy. And how fortunate for him to have the services of the remaining Funk brothers.

ray_monette
03-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Ralph,
he has a true love of all things motown,and he was unbelievably appreciative of us. The first time we saw him,he was waiting outside the studio front door. He had the biggest smile on his face,and gave each of us a great big hug.
I feel blessed to have worked with him,and played on his last album.

arrr&bee
03-08-2011, 04:57 PM
If phil is really retiring i wish him the best he's been around a long time.

jobeterob
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
This is the article Ray posted above; Phil sounds like a normal man; great to see.

BREAKING NEWS - A Message From Phil...

Greetings to all, I've decided to write this in response to the articles that surfaced last weekend regarding my retirement. Why they were printed at all is a mystery, as I haven't spoken to anybody in the press for a few months.

However, many of the articles printed over the last few months have ended up painting a picture of me that is more than a little distorted. Therefore, I would like to add my comments and try to explain again my reasons for calling it a day.

1/ I'm not stopping because of dodgy reviews or bad treatment in the press.

2/ I'm not stopping because I don't feel loved, I know I still have a very large fanbase that loves what I do. Thank you.

3/ I'm not stopping because I don't fit in, this was proved with "Going Back" reaching No 1 in the UK, and doing incredibly well worldwide.

4/ I'm not stopping so I can dive full time into my interest for the Alamo.

I am stopping so I can be a full time father to my two young sons on a daily basis.

Some of the things mentioned above have been said by me in various interviews, but said as asides with a smile on my face and in passing. They were not meant to be "headlines", they were small parts of a conversation. This clearly doesn't come over in print and I should know better.

However, the result is that I have ended up sounding like a tormented weirdo who thinks he was at the Alamo in another life, who feels very sorry for himself, and is retiring hurt because of the bad press over the years.

None of this is true.

Thanks for all your messages on the Forum regarding this stuff, it means a lot that you care.
But there's no need for the straitjacket !