PDA

View Full Version : Is Mary's 15 minutes of recent publicity over?

test

IMissFlo93
10-07-2019, 04:08 PM
We've heard the same stuff by now. We also seen Mary's defeat at DWTS.

Is her "Supreme Glamour" book publicity spotlight over?

Are we now focusing on the queen Supreme Diva Diana now?

Post your opinion below.

sup_fan
10-07-2019, 05:51 PM
while i certainly wish mary ongoing success, i'm definitely ready for other topics to emerge here on Soulful. it's getting a bit tiring to see nonstop posts about each and every interview she gives. but i understand that other members enjoy discussing.

still i've been trying to ignite some talk with more posts on the music we love

stingbeelee
10-07-2019, 10:31 PM
No, Mary did not have a "so-called" fifteen minutes of whatever. Mary Wilson has been an African American and Rock and Roll / R & B icon for over 50 years. She, Diana and Flo are absolute pioneers who struggled, cried, got discriminated against and shot at so that they, as African American women, could pave the way for all the others that followed. I can recall an article stating that the Supremes were swimming upstream against the currents & you know what? They, along with Motown, won. It took those three - Flo, Diana and Mary - to do this. It couldn't have been any other three women. Who would stick to a plan after all those non-hits? Struggle on shows as the opening acts [[where African Americans were usually relegated), not getting paid, thought of as third-class citizens, I could go on and on. Some people on this forum seem to think that to elevate a certain individual, you need to downgrade the other. IMissFlo93, you stated in another thread something to the effect that Mary's fifteen minutes of fame is up, but I beg to differ. Mary's 50+ years of being a pioneering rock icon are not up.

marv2
10-07-2019, 10:41 PM
No, Mary did not have a "so-called" fifteen minutes of whatever. Mary Wilson has been an African American and Rock and Roll / R & B icon for over 50 years. She, Diana and Flo are absolute pioneers who struggled, cried, got discriminated against and shot at so that they, as African American women, could pave the way for all the others that followed. I can recall an article stating that the Supremes were swimming upstream against the currents & you know what? They, along with Motown, won. It took those three - Flo, Diana and Mary - to do this. It couldn't have been any other three women. Who would stick to a plan after all those non-hits? Struggle on shows as the opening acts [[where African Americans were usually relegated), not getting paid, thought of as third-class citizens, I could go on and on. Some people on this forum seem to think that to elevate a certain individual, you need to downgrade the other. IMissFlo93, you stated in another thread something to the effect that Mary's fifteen minutes of fame is up, but I beg to differ. Mary's 50+ years of being a pioneering rock icon are not up.

Nailed it! *DEAD* over here!

Bluebrock
10-08-2019, 03:05 AM
while i certainly wish mary ongoing success, i'm definitely ready for other topics to emerge here on Soulful. it's getting a bit tiring to see nonstop posts about each and every interview she gives. but i understand that other members enjoy discussing.

still i've been trying to ignite some talk with more posts on the music we love
I don't even bother to read/watch the endless interviews that a certain member insists upon posting on this forum. His obsession knows no bounds, but i do acknowledge that a handful of members on here are interested in reading/watching these interviews. As long as i don't have to sit through them i have no problem with what he does.
However, i have loved contributing to your interesting posts which focus on the music we love, and for that i send a heartfelt thanks. Keep up the good work.

midnightman
10-08-2019, 03:50 AM
Rock icon? None of the Supremes, not even Miss Ross, is a "rock" icon. Diana is a POP icon though.

The pioneering rock icon for 50+ years is this lady, thank you very much.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/xUNd9ESesQbob6Qc80/giphy.gif

pghmusiclover
10-08-2019, 05:41 AM
Rock icon? None of the Supremes, not even Miss Ross, is a "rock" icon. Diana is a POP icon though.

Perhaps Patti is, but NOT without Nona and Sarah!

PeaceNHarmony
10-08-2019, 06:00 AM
Maybe/probably/doesn't have to be. If Mary and her handlers use good sense they will schedule a major round of in-person booksignings at Barnes & Noble as well as any independent shops that they can book [[no pun ...). The endless, repetitive "I was THE Supreme" interviews most likely will not sell copies of SG, but in-person signings will. Enough of these events in a short period of time could get the book on real best-seller charts. A home shopping appearance could move a nice batch of copies as well. With holiday buying season coming up it could happen. Major flaw? The cover, with Diana's face all but unrecognizable and no mention of 'Diana Ross and the Supremes' or Motown. Sorry, all, but that's the face and names most recognize.

Ollie9
10-08-2019, 08:33 AM

A most discerning post stingbeelee. The forum heading is Diana Ross & SUPREMES after all.

PeaceNHarmony
10-08-2019, 08:52 AM
No, Mary did not have a "so-called" fifteen minutes of whatever. Mary Wilson has been an African American and Rock and Roll / R & B icon for over 50 years. She, Diana and Flo are absolute pioneers who struggled, cried, got discriminated against and shot at so that they, as African American women, could pave the way for all the others that followed. I can recall an article stating that the Supremes were swimming upstream against the currents & you know what? They, along with Motown, won. It took those three - Flo, Diana and Mary - to do this. It couldn't have been any other three women. Who would stick to a plan after all those non-hits? Struggle on shows as the opening acts [[where African Americans were usually relegated), not getting paid, thought of as third-class citizens, I could go on and on. Some people on this forum seem to think that to elevate a certain individual, you need to downgrade the other. IMissFlo93, you stated in another thread something to the effect that Mary's fifteen minutes of fame is up, but I beg to differ. Mary's 50+ years of being a pioneering rock icon are not up.If I may, I offer that while your statements are all largely correct the statements refer to reputation and historical context rather than actual fame.

Circa 1824
10-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Wilson milks everything to death. She does not know when to quit. I am sure she is the last one to leave every party or function so not to miss a photo op or flashbulb.

There is something terribly off about the woman.

RanRan79
10-08-2019, 12:44 PM

I usually avoid threads created by certain screen names once they've solidified their reputation in the forum, but I was curious about what kind of back and forth mess was taking place in the form of responses. Your post is great. I agree 1000 percent!

RanRan79
10-08-2019, 12:47 PM
I don't even bother to read/watch the endless interviews that a certain member insists upon posting on this forum. His obsession knows no bounds, but i do acknowledge that a handful of members on here are interested in reading/watching these interviews. As long as i don't have to sit through them i have no problem with what he does.
However, i have loved contributing to your interesting posts which focus on the music we love, and for that i send a heartfelt thanks. Keep up the good work.

Marv can't be anymore obsessed with Mary's recent high profile than some others were with Diana's birthday stuff earlier this year. Any time the lady's name was mentioned or that damn party, a thread appeared. "Someone Farted At Diana's Birthday Party", "Beyonce Smiled At Diana's Birthday Party", "Diana Ross Arrived At Her Birthday Party". One right after the other. So what's good for the goose...

RanRan79
10-08-2019, 12:49 PM

I think Tina Turner might have something to say about that.

stingbeelee
10-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Thanks, Ollie9, Marv2, RanRan79! Hi PeaceNHarmony! I would agree with your statement about my posting. Yes, Mary Wilson does not have the fame that she enjoyed in the 60's and 70's. Unfortunately, in music, the continuance of fame seems to be relegated to Country music, who hold their pioneers in high esteem practically as long as they are on the earth. In Rock & Roll, R & B and Hip-Hop, musicians are easily discarded and its on to the next. I think, that's why you and I are on this forum, so that we can discuss those musicians so that they are not forgotten! Mary Wilson is bound and determined that the Supremes, Motown, and yes, herself, are not forgotten. Practically the whole of women musicians today stand on the shoulders of Diana, Mary and Flo. And, yes, I think that the Supremes are Rock & Roll icons and are deservedly in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

jobeterob
10-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Mary will always be a Supreme for those that are interested; the numbers aren't huge.

Dancing With the Stars was a good thing for her; a shame it ended so fast. It created a bump for her.

Most of the world didn't notice.

midnightman
10-08-2019, 02:06 PM
I think Tina Turner might have something to say about that.

No arguments here.

https://tinaturnerblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/animated-gif-downsized_large-2.gif?w=640

franjoy56
10-08-2019, 06:25 PM
I often wonder about t face of diana being unrecognizable. Was it a legal i ssue did diana have t aporove her likeness on a commercial book about her even as part of a group or was t idea t focus on t supremes and not diana ross and the supremes. She w a s featured in t book in several solo shots. But t focus was on t supremes their gowns and legacy

franjoy56
10-08-2019, 06:30 PM
No marys 15 minutes of fame is not over. T supreme glamour book puts the supremes back in t spotlight and their legacy can no longer be erased. As long as mary is still here t spotlite will always shine on her as t surviving member of t original supremes and dancing recipient on dwts

khansperac
10-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Are people really making something out of the cover photo? Re: Diana, I think it’s really cool. Very dramatic.

midnightman
10-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Who DOESN'T recognize DR in the cover?

One of the most famous women on the planet? Especially one of the most famous black people? WHAT?

khansperac
10-09-2019, 08:46 PM
That’s what I’m saying. It’s clearly Diana, lashes, cool hair and dramatic pose. Perfect example of how she just stands out.

marv2
10-09-2019, 08:49 PM

One of the most famous women on the planet? Especially one of the most famous black people? WHAT?

She's not that famous anymore just ask anyone under 50 LOL!

marv2
10-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Ollie9, Marv2, RanRan79! Hi PeaceNHarmony! I would agree with your statement about my posting. Yes, Mary Wilson does not have the fame that she enjoyed in the 60's and 70's. Unfortunately, in music, the continuance of fame seems to be relegated to Country music, who hold their pioneers in high esteem practically as long as they are on the earth. In Rock & Roll, R & B and Hip-Hop, musicians are easily discarded and its on to the next. I think, that's why you and I are on this forum, so that we can discuss those musicians so that they are not forgotten! Mary Wilson is bound and determined that the Supremes, Motown, and yes, herself, are not forgotten. Practically the whole of women musicians today stand on the shoulders of Diana, Mary and Flo. And, yes, I think that the Supremes are Rock & Roll icons and are deservedly in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Excellent post again Stingbeelee! That is something Mary Wells has said about Mary Wilson and that being that "Mary will in no way, no how let you forget her.....!" She made the comment on Good Morning America in 1983.

marv2
10-09-2019, 08:54 PM
No marys 15 minutes of fame is not over. T supreme glamour book puts the supremes back in t spotlight and their legacy can no longer be erased. As long as mary is still here t spotlite will always shine on her as t surviving member of t original supremes and dancing recipient on dwts

People always like to give the credit of keeping the Supremes Legacy alive to others. Even some strange people suggested that "The Sounds of The Supremes" with Kaaren Ragland are the ones. The truth is that it is and has always been Mary Wilson!

marv2
10-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Marv can't be anymore obsessed with Mary's recent high profile than some others were with Diana's birthday stuff earlier this year. Any time the lady's name was mentioned or that damn party, a thread appeared. "Someone Farted At Diana's Birthday Party", "Beyonce Smiled At Diana's Birthday Party", "Diana Ross Arrived At Her Birthday Party". One right after the other. So what's good for the goose...

I thought that they were obsessed with that perfume stuff Diana Ross selling on the home shopping network last year or so. I haven't heard much about it lately. What happened?

Roberta75
10-09-2019, 09:13 PM
I thought that they were obsessed with that perfume stuff Diana Ross selling on the home shopping network last year or so. I haven't heard much about it lately. What happened?

The stuff was her perfume Diamond Diane, which im sure you douse yourself in every day sold out dear and Home Shopping want her back but shes undecided. Diod you buy Marys book? She could do with a boost. 12,000 on the Amazon chart isnt the "huge" sales you predictted. Hehehehehehehehehehehehe

Supreme Glamour Hardcover – Illustrated, September 17, 2019

Hardcover: 240 pages
Publisher: Thames & Hudson; 1 edition [[September 17, 2019)
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #12,831 in Books [[See Top 100 in Books [[https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/ref=pd_zg_ts_books))

Circa 1824
10-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Is it Mary or Margie?

midnightman
10-09-2019, 10:01 PM

https://www.pix2share.com/images/2019/10/09/giphy-2a1a9aae7fdd43942.gif

milven
10-09-2019, 10:15 PM

Interesting challenge. I took it and asked four people under fifty. They all knew Diana.

jobeterob
10-10-2019, 12:15 AM
I believe that perfume stuff made $2 million!!

Maybe Marv spent the family fortune to buy enough to bathe in and that accounted for a lot of sales

marv2
10-10-2019, 12:17 AM
Interesting challenge. I took it and asked four people under fifty. They all knew Diana.

They must have been special. What challenge?

milven
10-10-2019, 12:32 AM

They must have been special. What challenge?

What challenge ?? You must be special

PeaceNHarmony
10-10-2019, 08:20 AM
The stuff was her perfume Diamond Diane, which im sure you douse yourself in every day sold out dear and Home Shopping want her back but shes undecided. Diod you buy Marys book? She could do with a boost. 12,000 on the Amazon chart isnt the "huge" sales you predictted. Hehehehehehehehehehehehe

Supreme Glamour Hardcover – Illustrated, September 17, 2019

Hardcover: 240 pages
Publisher: Thames & Hudson; 1 edition [[September 17, 2019)
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #12,831 in Books [[See Top 100 in Books [[https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/ref=pd_zg_ts_books))

And sadly, Ms. Roberta, all the major publishing distributors show similar abysmal rankings. I haven't seen any actual sales data in terms of number of copies sold, nor do we know what sales goal Thames & Hudson had, but the rankings are just shocking. BN.com currently lists SG at #40,729! Her Twitter lists no signing events which is unfortunate. She does have one gig, a charity show at a college in Ohio. There appear to be about 50 tickets sold. This event is between a children's show called 'Maddie's Fridge' and an 'Intro to Floral Arrangements' program. At least we have great news about Diana's booking at Glastonbury! Best to you, my friend!

floyjoy678
10-10-2019, 08:26 AM
I went to my local BandN yesterday and I walked in expecting to see it displayed at least in the music or biography section. Did not see it. I had to walk around for a bit and eventually found it tucked away in the art and photography section. If I wasn't looking hard enough, I'd miss it. The book was also covered with shrink wrap so no one is able to skim through it like they do with most books. I decided not to buy it. I might ask for it for Christmas though.

PeaceNHarmony
10-10-2019, 09:51 AM
I went to my local BandN yesterday and I walked in expecting to see it displayed at least in the music or biography section. Did not see it. I had to walk around for a bit and eventually found it tucked away in the art and photography section. If I wasn't looking hard enough, I'd miss it. The book was also covered with shrink wrap so no one is able to skim through it like they do with most books. I decided not to buy it. I might ask for it for Christmas though.Unfortunate on all counts. There has been publicity so the book should be more see-able, and an un-wrapped copy should be available as well - I think when lookers see the pictures they would be persuaded to buy!

midnightman
10-10-2019, 11:11 AM
I went to my local BandN yesterday and I walked in expecting to see it displayed at least in the music or biography section. Did not see it. I had to walk around for a bit and eventually found it tucked away in the art and photography section. If I wasn't looking hard enough, I'd miss it. The book was also covered with shrink wrap so no one is able to skim through it like they do with most books. I decided not to buy it. I might ask for it for Christmas though.

Well that's unfortunate.

midnightman
10-10-2019, 11:12 AM

You know he's steaming mad about Diana getting the Glastonbury gig. ;)

thanxal
10-10-2019, 11:16 AM
I honestly have never heard of Glastonbury. Could you tell me, is it a big or important venue in the UK? What is its comparison in the US? Thanks in advance.

midnightman
10-10-2019, 11:26 AM
I honestly have never heard of Glastonbury. Could you tell me, is it a big or important venue in the UK? What is its comparison in the US? Thanks in advance.

It's a huge outdoor festival. Over 200,000 people attend every year.

marv2
10-10-2019, 11:29 AM

I don't even know what that is, but good for her!

marv2
10-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Oh, that's what it is? LOL!!!

thanxal
10-10-2019, 11:35 AM
So this would be a big draw and widespread publicity? Now I get why someone said it would be like their Central Park concert.

PeaceNHarmony
10-10-2019, 11:39 AM
I honestly have never heard of Glastonbury. Could you tell me, is it a big or important venue in the UK? What is its comparison in the US? Thanks in advance.It is indeed both big and important! Kinda like a less trendy, less annoying Coachella. Glastonbury has a Legends concert and, as we know, this year it's Diana!

thanxal
10-10-2019, 11:43 AM
It is indeed both big and important! Kinda like a less trendy, less annoying Coachella. Glastonbury has a Legends concert and, as we know, this year it's Diana!
Many thanks to you both. It sounds like a serious win and strong possibility of keeping the music alive.

midnightman
10-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Oh, that's what it is? LOL!!!

Laughing to keep yourself from crying, just like you believing a famous pop star was innocent of crimes against kids. How sweet. :)

Roberta75
10-10-2019, 12:02 PM
So this would be a big draw and widespread publicity? Now I get why someone said it would be like their Central Park concert.

I just read its Glastonburys 50th anniversary and theyve got Diamond Diana. Double win.

midnightman
10-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Yep. That's exactly what it is. :)

thanxal
10-10-2019, 12:04 PM
I just read its Glastonburys 50th anniversary and theyve got Diamond Diana. Double win.
Roberta, that seems significant that a venue would choose her for their 50th. That's not a small thing lost on organizers.

Bluebrock
10-11-2019, 02:48 AM
Bitching yet again i see. So very sad.

TheMotownManiac
10-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Mary’s 15 minutes of fame is/was/will always be a matter of conjecture - but I can tell you firsthand that Mary yes very very very happy with whatever level of celebrity she is and she absolutely does not think of anything as her 15 minutes of fame…… She’s a little exhausted right now and, is not necessarily missing the rehearsals for dancing with the stars. That being said, whatever other people feel about her level of fame, she feels very very good about herself and is thrilled with her life other than she would like a little bit better financial security. And ultimately,How one feels about oneself is what’s important and Mary is quite happy with Mary and I say good for her!

blackguy69
10-11-2019, 11:38 PM
I did find out that Mary will be on the View on October 29th

marv2
10-11-2019, 11:50 PM
I did find out that Mary will be on the View on October 29th

Same here. This should be great. Whoopi wrote the forward to Mary's book.

detmotownguy
10-12-2019, 02:13 AM
Oh, that's what it is? LOL!!! m
WTF they bringing up this Glastonbury event in this thread?

jobeterob
10-12-2019, 04:34 AM
m
WTF they bringing up this Glastonbury event in this thread?

So you have a better understanding of real fame I imagine

PeaceNHarmony
10-12-2019, 07:06 AM
So you have a better understanding of real fame I imagineOr, perhaps, for a similar reason to someone who brought up Freda Payne's ... assets ... in a completely unrelated thread!

PeaceNHarmony
10-12-2019, 07:21 AM
Mary’s 15 minutes of fame is/was/will always be a matter of conjecture - but I can tell you firsthand that Mary yes very very very happy with whatever level of celebrity she is and she absolutely does not think of anything as her 15 minutes of fame…… She’s a little exhausted right now and, is not necessarily missing the rehearsals for dancing with the stars. That being said, whatever other people feel about her level of fame, she feels very very good about herself and is thrilled with her life other than she would like a little bit better financial security. And ultimately,How one feels about oneself is what’s important and Mary is quite happy with Mary and I say good for her!That's nice to hear, MM! A bit off-topic of the thread, but good news anyway. As I've said before most of us don't wish poorly for Mary when we make cheeky posts here. We are just engaging in a tad o' 'tit-for-tat' for the benefit of some posters who turn pretty much every thread on the forum into a Diana-Denying hate jeremiad and inserting a bit of reality into the state of Mary's endeavours. Best to you!

Bluebrock
10-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Or, perhaps, for a similar reason to someone who brought up Freda Payne's ... assets ... in a completely unrelated thread!

Good response! He never questioned why Freda was brought into the thread by his leader did he? One rule for one etc etc

Bluebrock
10-12-2019, 08:13 AM
That's nice to hear, MM! A bit off-topic of the thread, but good news anyway. As I've said before most of us don't wish poorly for Mary when we make cheeky posts here. We are just engaging in a tad o' 'tit-for-tat' for the benefit of some posters who turn pretty much every thread on the forum into a Diana-Denying hate jeremiad and inserting a bit of reality into the state of Mary's endeavours. Best to you!

Agreed! I am no fan of Mary Wilson's vocal ability, but i don't wish the lady any misfortune. She has enough problems with her obsessed fan and had to take action to keep him at bay. That is not a nice thing to have to do.

TheMotownManiac
10-13-2019, 04:40 PM
And I know you guys don’t wish Mary Any ill will - you are human beings who know the difference between fun banter and evil doings - and I am with you in that there is an much about Mary that annoys the hell out of me as she is not truthful, would rather walk over hot coals in her bare feet then pay for a meal or a drink, and can be quite manipulative in her own very charming way. She is also kind, accomplished, inquisitive, friendly, A blast to be with, Is more fun than anyone I know to share a bottle or two of the grape with, plus - SHE’S AN ORIGINAL SUPREME - DUH!!! LOL

Mary knows I’m a huge fan of Diana and is totally cool with that, but I don’t talk about her much because I know Mary is “issue laden” on the topic of Diana. I do believe she means it when she said she loves her, but I also believe, and understand why mind you, that she is jealous of her. She may not even be aware of it, but it is in her speak and manifested itself frequently back when she was recording and touring and putting out new records all the time…… I never mentioned that stuff to her like but she would bring it up to me always wanting to know what I thought of this or what I thought of that record or album or tour. If I love something I would be truthful but I wouldn’t go on and on end it would be awkward sometimes being in the car and hearing her current hit on the radio. I was also much more generous with my words if it was a project I didn’t care for. That is the side of Mary that wrote her books and went public with RTL…… A side of Mary I do not like at all and I can admit to a certain level of hypocrisy because my condemnation of these subjects has been verbalized - but quite sparsely.

PeaceNHarmony
10-14-2019, 01:32 AM
Good response! He never questioned why Freda was brought into the thread by his leader did he? One rule for one etc etcRight??!! And ... not to mention the importance of the image that was posted of Freda, about an inch from soft-core porn, instead of anything regarding her talent.

Bluebrock
10-14-2019, 02:54 AM
And I know you guys don’t wish Mary Any ill will - you are human beings who know the difference between fun banter and evil doings - and I am with you in that there is an much about Mary that annoys the hell out of me as she is not truthful, would rather walk over hot coals in her bare feet then pay for a meal or a drink, and can be quite manipulative in her own very charming way. She is also kind, accomplished, inquisitive, friendly, A blast to be with, Is more fun than anyone I know to share a bottle or two of the grape with, plus - SHE’S AN ORIGINAL SUPREME - DUH!!! LOL

Mary knows I’m a huge fan of Diana and is totally cool with that, but I don’t talk about her much because I know Mary is “issue laden” on the topic of Diana. I do believe she means it when she said she loves her, but I also believe, and understand why mind you, that she is jealous of her. She may not even be aware of it, but it is in her speak and manifested itself frequently back when she was recording and touring and putting out new records all the time…… I never mentioned that stuff to her like but she would bring it up to me always wanting to know what I thought of this or what I thought of that record or album or tour. If I love something I would be truthful but I wouldn’t go on and on end it would be awkward sometimes being in the car and hearing her current hit on the radio. I was also much more generous with my words if it was a project I didn’t care for. That is the side of Mary that wrote her books and went public with RTL…… A side of Mary I do not like at all and I can admit to a certain level of hypocrisy because my condemnation of these subjects has been verbalized - but quite sparsely.
Great post my friend. I can totally concur with much of what you say. Mary has her good and bad sides just like the rest of us.
When i have worked with Diana she has very rarely brought up the subject of Mary. She keeps her feelings and opinions of her very much to herself. She usually referred to The Supremes as "the girls". It was very dignified and i respected her so much for taking the high road when she could quite easily have thrown mud in Mary's direction.
There are three versions of their story. Diana's, Mary's and the truth. Lets just leave it at that.

Albator
10-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Diana is a woman who does not let herself go into bitterness. I don't know if it's natural for her or if it's a discipline, but she's very strong.
When Liza Minnelli won the Oscar, which is an opportunity that rarely happens again, Diana took the high road. Barely 4 years later and she was singing with Liza at Studio 54.
When you think of all the resentment that some singers have towards Diana, because they don't shine as brightly as she does, you can only admire Miss Ross' attitude.

I can easily understand why this is difficult for Mary Wilson.

TheMotownManiac
10-15-2019, 04:51 PM
I believe Mary wants to love Diana, but cannot keg go of the past - despite her appearance to the contrary. She can let a little dig slip sometimes.....

midnightman
10-15-2019, 05:54 PM
DR strikes me as someone who if bad things happen, she lets it simmer for that day and then the next moves on with her head up. It's easy to buy into the media image that she's always impossible but who doesn't have down days? Most determined people are gonna come out a certain way but they mean well. That's who Diana is.

RanRan79
10-17-2019, 01:46 PM
DR strikes me as someone who if bad things happen, she lets it simmer for that day and then the next moves on with her head up. It's easy to buy into the media image that she's always impossible but who doesn't have down days? Most determined people are gonna come out a certain way but they mean well. That's who Diana is.

I think Diana Ross can probably carry a grudge as well as anyone else can. What she doesn't do is run all around town talking about it to everybody who will listen. She seems to keep her feelings about a lot of people to herself. In my book that's a good thing. That way when they start slinging mud in her direction, they ultimately only make themselves look bad because the lady isn't slinging anything back. She's living her life unbothered and I love it.

midnightman
10-17-2019, 02:55 PM
I think Diana Ross can probably carry a grudge as well as anyone else can. What she doesn't do is run all around town talking about it to everybody who will listen. She seems to keep her feelings about a lot of people to herself. In my book that's a good thing. That way when they start slinging mud in her direction, they ultimately only make themselves look bad because the lady isn't slinging anything back. She's living her life unbothered and I love it.

Right. She never takes it to the streets. I respect that about her. I wish some of my other favorite divas, not naming any names, stopped doing that...