PDA

View Full Version : Free online books about Motown

test

Levi Stubbs Tears
10-07-2019, 03:49 AM
I own quite a number of Motown books myself but noticed a few I hadn't read in OpenLibrary [[a free online library where you can read or download copies). I thought I'd pass on the details in case any of you wanted to read or re-read some books you don't own. Some are out of print so could be hard to find.

Some of the Motown editions available include:

1971 David Morse - MOTOWN AND THE ARRIVAL OF BLACK MUSIC
1985 Don Waller - THE MOTOWN STORY
1985 Nelson George - WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
1986 J Randy Taraborrelli - MOTOWN: HOT WAX, CITY COOL, SOLID GOLD
1986 Mary Wilson - DREAMGIRL MY LIFE AS A SUPREME
1989 Dr Licks - STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN
1989 J Randy Taraborrelli - CALL HER MISS ROSS
1990 Raynoma Gordy Singleton - BERRY, ME AND MOTOWN
1991 Loren D Estleman - MOTOWN
1994 Berry Gordy - TO BE LOVED
1994 Martha Reeves - DANCING IN THE STREET
2001 Bill Dahl - MOTOWN: THE GOLDEN YEARS
2001 Virginia Aronson - THE HISTORY OF MOTOWN
2004 Dennis Coffey - GUITARS, BARS AND MOTOWN SUPERSTARS
2004 Marc Taylor - THE ORIGINAL MARVELETTES
2009 Mark Ribowskey - THE SUPREMES

Most of these can be accessed via this search - https://openlibrary.org/search?q=motown&mode=ebooks&m=edit&m=edit&has_fulltext=true - but you can find other works [[eg Dreamgirl) by searching for the author. There are plenty of other books on other topics too, of course.

The Ribowsky book on the Supremes was one I read a few weeks back. I wasn't impressed with it as there were a number of factual errors I spotted and there seemed to be some contradictions within the text. After finishing reading it though, I noted it was a 'draft copy subject to revisions'. If this book was published, I hoped they fixed the errors.

Anyway - just passing on for any of you that might be interested.

drlorne
10-07-2019, 10:14 AM
cool, thanks.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
10-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Many thanks for this information! I'll check it out for sure!

Levi Stubbs Tears
10-08-2019, 01:05 AM
I've just finished Tony Turner's books about his time with the Supremes [[All That Glitters) and the Tempts [[Deliver Us From Temptation) from OpenLibrary.

Some interesting and laugh out loud stuff in there, though i do feel a little dirty after reading them.