PDA

View Full Version : RIP -Abbey Lincoln

test

splanky
08-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I just got this news from my Saturday afternoon jazz host, Monifa Carson on wbgo and
I can't even begin to say how sad I feel about it. I loved this woman as if she were family and she's been a hero of mine since I was very very young. She gave us in New York some concern a couple of times in the last few years and at one point she and the late Hank Jones were both in the same hospital at the same time. I have the music they recorded together. I'm very sorry to see her leave us because she was such a treasure
and inspiration to so many from all walks of life. Goodbye, Abbey. I will miss you so much...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/arts/music/15lincoln.html?_r=2&hp

I haven't had tears in my eyes in years...

ladyvanaye
08-14-2010, 04:54 PM
WOW! RIP ABBEY LINCOLN! She was one of my Mom's favorites and I enjoyed her too. My Lord what a year for musical departures. :[[ May God keep her soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVsqUJwHz0o

paladin
08-14-2010, 05:10 PM
She was a very inspirational Black Woman. Rest in Peace ..................

GeeTee(HPK)
08-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I just found out a few minutes ago. :[[ R.I.P. Ms. Lincoln

copley
08-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the music Abbey. RIP :[[

marv2
08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Abbey Lincoln......that was one spectacular woman! God rest her soul.

paul1970
08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Wow!!

I just watched Nothing But A Man for the first time just a few weeks ago and liked it.

I also watched her interview in it and i was floored with how beautiful she was back in the day.

As a Black man it really upsets me that so many great Black artists are dying literally everyday and it doesn't seem like there's anybody around to pick up the torch.

nysister
08-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Oh My!!
Ms. Lincoln really blessed my soul when I saw her in concert with Freddie Cole, and she was wearing one of those gorgeous hats!
I loved her in FOR LOVE OF IVY that I will pull out and watch tonight, and then I'll play my CD, SOMEBODY GOTTA PAY THE BAND.

May this Grand Lady Rest In Peace!

KevLo
08-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

R.I.P Abbey

blue
08-15-2010, 02:27 AM
I was a college age kid when I bought her album for the first time,
and it was "Abbey Lincoln/Abbey Lincolm"[[Riverside).
Since then I got many of her albums
and "Abbey is Blue" became a very special one for me,
especially songs like "Lonely House" and "Brother, Where are You?"

She was a real artist.

“I don’t know why anybody would give that up,” she said. “I wouldn’t. Makes my life worthwhile.”

I will remind me of that, Abbey. Each time I feel like giving up.
Thanks for everything you gave us.

daddyacey
08-15-2010, 03:57 AM
UGGGHHH!!!! Mo bad news.
R.I.P. ABBEY. ONE!

Livingallalone
08-15-2010, 11:20 PM
I meet Abbey afew times,she was a lovley woman, and I was very sorry to learn of her passing.

Bill

queenybee07
08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
What A shocker! I did not know this until opening up this thread this morning. No wonder for some odd reason, I kept watching For Love Of Ivy.

R.I.P Ms. Lincoln you will be truly missed.

splanky
08-16-2010, 04:26 PM
I was so distressed by Abbey's passing I used my Saturday jocks maiden name, she married several years after I joined the station and became Monifa Brown...Anyway, I've been listening to tons of Abbey over the last couple of days, on my raido,
from my own collection and on the web. I know she is largely unknown to folks who listen almost exclusively to rock, funk,
disco or Motown groups but she had a strength and spirit many can learn from, a woman of her own...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4B0FKMBwQ&feature=related

smark21
08-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I was so distressed by Abbey's passing I used my Saturday jocks maiden name, she married several years after I joined the station and became Monifa Brown...Anyway, I've been listening to tons of Abbey over the last couple of days, on my raido,
from my own collection and on the web. I know she is largely unknown to folks who listen almost exclusively to rock, funk,
disco or Motown groups but she had a strength and spirit many can learn from, a woman of her own...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4B0FKMBwQ&feature=related

Splanky, The Turtle's Dream CD is an excellent album. Throw it Away is a classic song.