PDA

View Full Version : Mary's Major Mis-step: Form, Function, or Folly?

test

PeaceNHarmony
09-24-2019, 05:26 PM
So we're all disappointed to see Mary booted from her first national gig since leaving the Supremes, and I think most of us are surprised as well. After tying for 5th place with several other teams after the first performance it seemed like she would make it through at least half of the season. After all, Wilson was the only contestant with a musical background [[60 years' worth, in fact) and certainly the only contestant to have been taught dance by the legendary Charles 'Cholly' Atkins. So, the question is: what went wrong? As I see it, the problem stemmed from one of three issues that fit under the heading of form, function, or folly.

Folly, I believe, can be immediately ruled out - there are contestants with less talent than Mary who have made the cut, leaving form and function to be investigated.

Function can be defined for this discussion as the elements of the event which are out of the contestant's control: music arrangements, professional partner participation, etc. I believe function can also be ruled out, simply because at this early juncture it is certain that the participants were working with similar level materials.

What is left is the concept of form, for this discussion defined as those matters that are under the control [[and, indeed, responsibility) of each and every contestant. Form is what the individual contestant brings to the competition and practices throughout the competition. Form includes elements such as personal drive, willingness to reach further, etc., and most importantly commitment: the self-discipline to ignore distractions and remain focused to the task at hand.

As we have seen in the past several weeks our ex: Supreme seems to have reinforced much-discussed aspects of her decades-long career: lack of focus, unpreparedness in rehearsal and a general propensity to run to any available spotlight to discuss what she's doing rather than the actual doing.

We'll all wish Mary well on future endeavors; perhaps this latest clearing of her schedule will allow her time to now concentrate on in-person appearances for 'Supreme Glamour'.

jobeterob
09-24-2019, 11:23 PM
It it was seen she wasn’t putting effort into it, she may have been chosen to go