PDA

View Full Version : New Rock Pop and Doo Wop on PBS 13 NYC now 3/5

test

luke
03-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Featuring Ronnie Specter, Bowzer, and performers from 50s and 60s and archival footage 10-12midnight.

msjoys
03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Another job well done T. J.!! Thanks for the music!!!

luke
03-05-2011, 11:26 PM
So far the Marcels-fantastic!, "Coasters",Chantels, footage of the Crests--LaLa Brooks upcoming.

marv2
03-06-2011, 12:46 AM
I saw parts of it. Loved the old clips of Johnny Maestro/The Crests, Coasters etc. Thanks Luke

Motown_M_1056
03-06-2011, 09:47 AM
I saw parts of it. Loved the old clips of Johnny Maestro/The Crests, Coasters etc. Thanks Luke

I caught the last half of this show. It re-airs on some PBS stations today.

luke
03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Yes that clip was amazing. Other old groups of doo wops groups too--thrilling!! The Jarmels were great!! La La great voice but hardly moved to Da Do Ron Ron and she can move. Len Barry sounded great. Though it seems the vocals were recorded at the time in a studio for everyone. Ronnie Specter didnt hit one flat note!

midnightman
03-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Saw it last night and today, they were all great! :)

randy_russi
03-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Did you see Dee Dee Sharp? As far as I know everyone's vocals were done "live". What about Brenda Reid-the Exciters?

Motown_M_1056
03-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Did you see Dee Dee Sharp? As far as I know everyone's vocals were done "live". What about Brenda Reid-the Exciters?

It appeared that the vocals heard on the broadcast were pre-recorded in the studio and the performers were lip-synching or moving their mouths to what they had previously recorded. Maybe the acts sang live during the concert. But the sound was worked on by Tom Moulton among others.
Dee Dee Sharp was not part of this telecast, neither was Brenda Reid or the Exciters.
T.J. Lubinsky said he had one more Doo Wop show to do for PBS. I wondered what he meant by this. Is he only doing one more Doo Wop show but still doing other genres of pop or will this be his last and final doo wop show ever?

luke
03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
No Dee Dee or Brenda--no mention that I saw-would love to have seen them-maybe on dvd. They showed them all in the studio recording and there wasnt one missed or flat note so I figured those vocals were used for show too.

randy_russi
03-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Well I know that both Dee Dee and Brenda were there in August and performed. The Miracles too! Both Bobby and Claudette
were there. Also, I think the Orlons.

luke
03-07-2011, 12:05 PM
The Orlons were on -no Miracles either.

carlo
03-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Great show. We're watching it on our PBS station right now. We ordered the 5 CD's. My Dad can't wait. Hahahaha.

juicefree20
03-08-2011, 01:05 AM
I've been to 3 PBS tapings & I can honestly tell you that there is no lip-synching onstage. All of the tapings that I've attended have featured live singing. Please take me at my word when I tell you that there has been absolutely no lip-synching at any taping that I attended. Due to production concerns there may be a few tweaks, but you're definitely seeing those artists performing live. Trust me, there's no way that TJL would try to pull that with the knowledgable people who pay their money to attend the tapings.

I haven't been in contact with T.J. in awhile, but TJ. has produced Soul, DooWop & Pop specials. I remember that he came here & we discussed a few other shows that he wanted to do, but he mentioned that had to deal with licensing issues before he could proceed. That conversation should be here in our archives.

luke
03-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Ok--so they recorded for the cds?

Maria
03-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I saw the show on PBs and the Jarmels were great singing "A little bit of soap".

luke
03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Is that lead singer an original? He was great! By the way, welcome Maria!:)

smark21
03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I've been to 3 PBS tapings & I can honestly tell you that there is no lip-synching onstage. All of the tapings that I've attended have featured live singing. Please take me at my word when I tell you that there has been absolutely no lip-synching at any taping that I attended. Due to production concerns there may be a few tweaks, but you're definitely seeing those artists performing live. Trust me, there's no way that TJL would try to pull that with the knowledgable people who pay their money to attend the tapings.

I haven't been in contact with T.J. in awhile, but TJ. has produced Soul, DooWop & Pop specials. I remember that he came here & we discussed a few other shows that he wanted to do, but he mentioned that had to deal with licensing issues before he could proceed. That conversation should be here in our archives.

I've no doubt they sing live at the taping for the audience. But for those whose performances aren't up to par, post production sweetenng occurs [[which I guess makes sense as the goal is to put out a dignified show). I remember the Motown one in which Martha Reeves performed and you can tell that a lot of post production sweetening work took place as she sounded just like the original recording.

Doug-Morgan
03-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I believe T.J. admited as much on one thread discussing one of his shows.

juicefree20
03-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Luke:

I'm not sure how they record the CDs. But I do know that when you're sitting in that audience, you're hearing nothing but live voices.

Smark:

Again, you have proven to be correct! As Doug pointed out, T.J. indeed explained the process here awhile back.

To really appreciate it, you really have to be there at a live taping. There's nothing like being there & hearing everything live as it's happening.

randy_russi
03-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I watched some of the broadcast last night in the Central Florida area. I can tell you that both Ronnie Spector and La La
Brooks were singing "live".
It is ashame that so many of the others who performed were not featured--namely Dee Dee Sharp and Brenda Reid with
the Exciters. I know that Lillian Walker sang with Brenda.
Hopefully those performances are on the DVD set they are selling.

nosey
03-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I think the Orlons found a good lead replacement. She sounded pretty much like the original singer. Also, the guy who sang lead with the Marcels was not the same guy they had in previous years. I'm wondering if he passed away since that time.

marv2
03-12-2011, 12:28 AM
I am watching it again right now on WLIW Long Island and I have to say that Sonny Turner [[the Platters), Jay Black and the lead for the Jarmels [[ "A Little Bit of Soap") blew me away! Those guys are proof that age ain't nothing but a number. Ronnie's on right now..........

nosey
03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Marv, that guy who sang lead on the Jarmels record doesn't sound like the original lead to me. I could be wrong of course! Is Sonny Turner the lead on I Love You 1,000 Times and With this Ring?

Marv, just went on youtube and one of the comments said that the lead singer is gone and only one original member is left. Great song, anyhow.

nosey
03-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Also, what I found confusing were those guys in the blue outfits singing with the Marcels. Who were those guys?

randy_russi
03-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Yes, Sonny Turner is the lead singer on "I Love 1,000 Times" and "Devrie" and all the Musicor recordings.

The Chantels had a great sound even though Arlene Smith wasn't with them.

marv2
03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Marv, that guy who sang lead on the Jarmels record doesn't sound like the original lead to me. I could be wrong of course! Is Sonny Turner the lead on I Love You 1,000 Times and With this Ring?

Marv, just went on youtube and one of the comments said that the lead singer is gone and only one original member is left. Great song, anyhow.

Nosey, you may be right on all counts! As far as the Jarmels, I just assumed that age may have affected the lead singer's voice. Sonny Turner was introduced as if he had led the Platters from 1960 on........

marv2
03-14-2011, 11:10 PM

Nosey, I found this today. Here are "The Platters" in the late 60's with Sonny Turner still in the lead [[I don't recognize any of those people with him though), so I would assume he lead on the group's sixties recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-6YxDUYHB0

randy_russi
03-15-2011, 09:05 AM
From what Dee Dee Sharp told me, there will be another broadcast put together with performances not shown on this
one, that's where we should see her, Brenda, Miracles, etc.

luke
03-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Great!! Can't wait.

marv2
03-15-2011, 12:27 PM
From what Dee Dee Sharp told me, there will be another broadcast put together with performances not shown on this
one, that's where we should see her, Brenda, Miracles, etc.

Randy, you spoke to Dee Dee? Wow! She is one of my favorites! Did she mention what song or songs she sang for the program? Love Dee Dee Sharp.

tjl
03-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi all:

I just figured out how to convert from the old SDF site to the new - - I haven't been ignoring, just not tech savvy, so sorry for the late posts.

For Rock, Pop and Doo Wop that show was really intended to be mostly pre-Beatles pop/doo wop. So the Miracles, Eddie Holman, Percy Sldge, etc were recorded to be in a different program called "60s pop, rock and soul" coming to PBS stations in December. We also pre-banked many performers for yet another show "the last doo wop show" which comes out in 2012-2013 - - these days we are shooting far ahead. All of the performers will eventually be released - no worries there.

As for the sound, the performers did perform live and sing live. However, as usual our emphasis is not on a live concert - - more on re-capturing the feel of the original records however possible. That means lots of pre and post production. The TV mix features the live elements with some over-dubs not possible during the actual production, for example with the wall of sound material for La La and Ronnie - - lots of extra shakers and timpany/percussion parts had to be added later due to the constraints of the show and the taping of so many groups. [[we had over 60 groups at the last recording). These decisions are made for creative reasons [[to put the artist in their best light in front of 80 million homes), but also to facilitate the effeciencies of productions [[stage re-sets, musician swap-outs, additional background vocals - whatever we can do to get as close to the record as possible is our mantra).

I'd like to think we've been pretty up front about this in that we do "shoot for post-production". That being said at least 75% of what you hear and see [[including the live vocals) on tv is real, the remaining 25% is adding, thickening, sweetening and over-dub sessions to get the tonal quality and nuances of the original 45's and instruments.

The soundtrack versions of the show we have started to make, are however, almost entirely studio-made recordings, the goal for these is to have a new recording [[without applause) of the live performance, which is what we brand as an "original soundtrack album". These are different vocal takes and studio sessions made for the CD releases that eventually acompany the tv show and dvd.

Hope this keeps it real for you. Please feel free to email me anytime to whosaver@aol.com.

- tjl

PS - I'm looking for someone to write up some liner notes and track session notes for us in the coming months, if you're a writer and into archives - please drop me a line as we will have many upcoming almus, dvd's and compilations available starting this year from our library.

ceasar
03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi TJ,
As usual you did a very good job putting this last show together.
It was a pleasure working with you on the shows that we took part in.
It was great seeing my old friend LEN BARRY, whom I spoke with on his birthday.
MY friends THE ORLONS, and so many more. Those shows that we were on helped push our statis a little more. [[ thank you )
If there is any way that I can be of help, do not hesitate to get in touch.
To all of the none belivers, THERE IS NO LYPSINGING, it is for real. The vetrens can still hold their own.
CEASAR
THE
ORIGINAL
TYMES