PDA

View Full Version : Four Tops Second Album

test

mowest
09-18-2019, 01:50 PM
This certainly was one the Tops’ strongest albums, with three songs becoming very successful singles: “I Can’t Help Myself,” “It’s The Same Old Song” and “Something About You.” But there are other tunes here that might have been successful singles. Does anyone know if Quality Control considered any others for release as A-side 45’s?

Motown Eddie
09-18-2019, 02:45 PM
I don't know if any of the other songs the the Tops' Second Album were considered for single release. However, one of the cuts, "Since You've Been Gone" was pulled from the LP for the B-side of "Standing In The Shadows Of Love"; "Stay In My Lonely Arms" was remade by The Elgins [[for the B-side of "Heaven Must've Sent You") and Kim Weston covered "Helpless" in 1966.

mowest
09-18-2019, 02:55 PM
I don't know if any of the other songs the the Tops' Second Album were considered for single release. However, one of the cuts, "Since You've Been Gone" was pulled from the LP for the B-side of "Standing In The Shadows Of Love"; "Stay In My Lonely Arms" was remade by The Elgins [[for the B-side of "Heaven Must've Sent You") and Kim Weston covered "Helpless" in 1966.

Motown Eddie, of the three you mentioned, “Since You’ve Been Gone” may have had the most potential to chart big as a single for the Tops.
I'll never understood why Kim’s “Helpless” wasn’t a big pop hit [[it did go to #13 on the r&b chart).

Soulmusic4life
09-18-2019, 05:42 PM
I'M GRATEFUL had enormous. That was the best track on the already fantastic album. So is LOVE FEELS LIKE FIRE.

marv2
09-18-2019, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure if this one was ever considered for a single released, but I would have voted for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbAn5ow8MqY

mowest
09-19-2019, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if this one was ever considered for a single released, but I would have voted for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbAn5ow8MqY

Yes, so many great songs on one album!

Roger Polhill
09-19-2019, 12:50 AM
Me too! Marv and Mowest you have good taste.A great album and one that would be just great as an expanded set.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
09-19-2019, 03:02 AM
There is a word I came across while reading a review of the "Reach Out" album: "alchemy". That word certainly fits when talking about "Four Tops Second Album". Everything hangs together so well, there isn't a single hiccup or lull from the beginning of side one to the end of side two. It's very hard to create albums this good.

I have to believe some consideration was given to "Since You've Been Gone." That sucker JUMPED out at me back in the 80's when this album was new to me. I just assumed it had been one of the Tops' singles. I was floored to find out it wasn't.

Motown Eddie
09-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Four Tops Second Album is easily my favorite Tops LP. There were three big hits, all of the other songs work well [[with no detours into pop or standards) and the Classic Motown Sound has really come into it's own. Check out this new 'mini infomercial' Universal/Motown put together for this LP.

https://youtu.be/uYDFUUV3KCc

jobucats
09-19-2019, 10:28 AM
This album, to me, capitalized on what I considered to the be Four Tops sound just as the "More Hits by the..." capitalized on their sound at the time. Both albums are so cohesive and defined each group's sound and Motown's sound at the time.

marv2
09-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Me too! Marv and Mowest you have good taste.A great album and one that would be just great as an expanded set.

Roger, some of us begged Universal, Hip_O_Select for an expanded edition of the Four Tops early albums, but I don't think it was even a serious consideration.

Encyclopedia Mack
09-20-2019, 04:08 PM
I think this was the Tops best album [[Motown Era) after Reach Out. My favorite is "Is There Anything That I Can Do" [[written and produced by Smokey). Levi is singing in a somewhat smooth voice at the beginning, but by the end he's going to church. Very underrated song.

TomatoTom123
09-26-2019, 07:31 PM
Awesome album. Besides the singles, I LOVE "I'm Grateful" in particular. :)