PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Mark Adams Bassist For The Funk Band Slave

test

GeeTee(HPK)
03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
It's been confirmed by Steve Arrington on his Facebook page,that bassist Mark Adams from the group Slave passed away. :[[

I'm in a lost for words. May he rest in peace.

marv2
03-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Mark Adams. I remember him from my High School days and all the jams Slave put out. RIP Mark.

Marv

pshark
03-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I didn't want to here this.
R.I.P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INqrgO9mNg8

GeeTee(HPK)
03-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Today is Steve Arrington's birthday. I can only imagine how he feels,knowing that his former bandmate passed away on his birthday. :[[

marv2
03-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I understand that he was still with the band. Sad news indeed:

marv2
03-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Today is Steve Arrington's birthday. I can only imagine how he feels,knowing that his former bandmate passed away on his birthday. :[[

It is sad. I went to college with his cousin Margaret.

timmyfunk
03-05-2011, 01:42 PM
This is truly sad.

pshark
03-05-2011, 02:08 PM

Actually Gee, he passed last night

marv2
03-05-2011, 02:09 PM
How old was he? Anyone know?

juicefree20
03-05-2011, 03:40 PM
This is very sad news to wake up to. We've had quite a few discussions here about Slave & Mark has always been one of my favorite bassists.

From grooves such as "Slide", "Just A Touch Of Love", "Snapshot", "Feel My Love", "Dreaming", "Watching You", "Warning" & even ballads like "Starting Over", I loved Mark's grooves & that sliding octave.."WOOO...WOOOOO". Man, I loved the way that brother played that bass. Slave was my favorite group of the early 80s & I've always been sorry that they split. Mark couldn't have been much more than 17 or 18 when they broke out with that collosal hump known as "Slide" back in '77.

There goes another piece of my youth & it always adds an extra sting when it's someone who's pretty much my own age.

Mark "Hansolor" Adams - R.I.P. My condolences to his family, friends & fans.

cozmic
03-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Big loss :[[ may he slide peaceful to funk eternity

Very special Marv, that you grew up around Mark's area and went to college with his cousin.
I just checked a bio from one of their cd-compilations and Mark describes that he was 15
when the group was getting together around 1976. So that would be 50 this year.

paul1970
03-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Wow!!

Very sad news indeed.

Within the space of less than a year three of the greatest bassists of all time have died..Marvin Isley,Robert Wilson[[Gap Band) and now Mark Adams of Slave.

juicefree20
03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Found a blog "Slave Fanaticism", where they mentioned that Mark lost his mother Barbara Jean last Nov. 18th. I wonder if she was the inspiration behind their song "Barbara Jean Boulevard"?

They're reporting his passing on this site...

http://prince.org/msg/8/354157?jump=11&pg=1

juicefree20
03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
A 1990's interview with Mark & Drac, that Pshark had alrady posted hours ago.

Thanks Pshark. I should've known that you, cozmic or Marv were already going to be on the case!

pshark
03-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Juice, check 3rd post

juicefree20
03-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Pshark:

Sorry about that one. I was kinda surprised to hear this news that I was more caught up with my thoughts, than really reading what had been posted.

I've been trying to get confirmation about the reported cause of death, but I can't find anything about his passing in any of the Dayton news channels. Not that it really matters at this point but I hope that it's not what I've heard. Either way, I'll keep trying.

marv2
03-05-2011, 08:31 PM
This is very sad news to wake up to. We've had quite a few discussions here about Slave & Mark has always been one of my favorite bassists.

From grooves such as "Slide", "Just A Touch Of Love", "Snapshot", "Feel My Love", "Dreaming", "Watching You", "Warning" & even ballads like "Starting Over", I loved Mark's grooves & that sliding octave.."WOOO...WOOOOO". Man, I loved the way that brother played that bass. Slave was my favorite group of the early 80s & I've always been sorry that they split. Mark couldn't have been much more than 17 or 18 when they broke out with that collosal hump known as "Slide" back in '77.

There goes another piece of my youth & it always adds an extra sting when it's someone who's pretty much my own age.

Mark "Hansolor" Adams - R.I.P. My condolences to his family, friends & fans.

Oh man Juice, you said it! Another piece of my youth too and we were all in the same age range.

Sincerest condolences to the Adams Family and everyone that enjoyed his talents.

marv2
03-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Big loss :[[ may he slide peaceful to funk eternity

Very special Marv, that you grew up around Mark's area and went to college with his cousin.
I just checked a bio from one of their cd-compilations and Mark describes that he was 15
when the group was getting together around 1976. So that would be 50 this year.

Cozmic, yep! I was north of where they got started and we were all in high school when they had their first hit with "Slide". It really doesn't seem that long ago. By the time I was in college they were a very established band where you could just expect a hit with each single and album they dropped! A great loss.

pshark
03-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Pshark:

Sorry about that one. I was kinda surprised to hear this news that I was more caught up with my thoughts, than really reading what had been posted.

I've been trying to get confirmation about the reported cause of death, but I can't find anything about his passing in any of the Dayton news channels. Not that it really matters at this point but I hope that it's not what I've heard. Either way, I'll keep trying.There's no need to apologize Juice.

destruction
03-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Another underappreciated Talent. He stood out in a crowed field of Funk bass players.....and left an indelIble mark.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Joe Kelley will be spotlighting Mark tomorrow [[Monday, March 7th) on WVOF from 6pm-8pm NYC Time.

Drac will be interviewed on the show, as well. Joe has provided a call-in number, where he invites people to call in & say a few words about Mark. Here is the pertinent info..

call in [[203) 254-4111
Listen: 88.5 FM WVOF Fairfield CT
Live Stream: www.wvof.org

"Upper Room with Joe Kelley & Gi Dussault"
24/7 Internet Radio Show
www.upperroomwithjoekelley.com

chidrummer
03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Very sorry to hear of Mark's passing. That hits a little too close to home. Does anyone know the cause?

marv2
03-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Very sorry to hear of Mark's passing. That hits a little too close to home. Does anyone know the cause?

I can't find a thing. Not even an official notice yet, but check this site out for some nice background info on the group and links to some of their most popular work in videos:

http://soundedlikeanempiretome.blogspot.com/2010/01/early-mark-adams-pictures.html

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
ChiD

I've heard a scenario, but it's nothing that I'd repeat without solid confirmation. I've been through everything that's Dayton...newspapers, TV, blogs, crime reports, you name it & have come up empty. Everyone who's reporting on this got it from Steve's Twitter blast & are simply regurgitating it with no additional info added. It seems as though the main Dayton daily doesn't update over the weekend, the last date that they've covered was the 3rd. I checked the death database & it hasn't been updated since Feb 24th, so, I don't know their cycle for updating their database.

I posted the link for Joe Kelley's live web stream tonight at 6 p.m. est. Drac is supposed to be on, perhaps we may actually get some solid news.

Marv:

I saw that site that you posted & last night, I noticed that the brother updated it & added the the text of his last correspondence with Mark. On Saturday, I ran across a site which featured an interview from last year where a young lady handling the press for Slave discussed some of why Mark was no longer with the group. I didn't post it here because I didn't want to add that sort of thing to this sad story, I felt that it was a little too soon for all of that & some of it has been discussed before, so, I thought that it would be a bit redundant.

I also mentioned the other day that Mark had lost his mother a few months ago. I believe that Mark was having a difficult time with her passing & that on top of his other trials likely made his struggles even more difficult.

Either way, I believe that when the final story is told, it will be one that saddens me further.

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm listening to Joe Kelly's show now.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't know what the hell this is, but it damn sure ain't a tribute to Mark. Is anyone having any better success?

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I see that I was listening to the web stream rather than the FM stream.

I know I've got it right now because I'm hearing "Slide". Did I miss anything so far?

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 07:16 PM
It's too early for me to give my overall opinion,so far. I'll wait until I hear the entire program,to give my thoughts about this tribute.

pshark
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I tuned in late, Victor Wooten is the guest but no Drac so far.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 07:45 PM
On the Slave Facebook page, there was a guy telling us that despite what steve had said, that Mark was still alive. I guess this kinda makes it official now.

But still...no mention, much less an acknowledgement of his passing in the Dayton news. Dayton has been more than a little proud of their Funk heritage, so the silence is deafening.

I'd love to be hearing more about Mark & less about these people & what THEY'RE doing.

pshark
03-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Juice, heres a thread you started in 08
http://faac.us/adf/messages/165088/165062.html?1200854512

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 08:02 PM
That's weird that the Dayton news haven't mentioned anything of his passing. [[strange) :confused:

So far, I'm happy to hear Victor Wooten and Anthony Wellington [[Victor's bass tech) for calling in.

I guess when Drac calls in, he could fill us in more. [[I hope)

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
AHHHH...that's one thing that may be the problem. Mark was living in COLUMBUS. Time for another search. Pshark, what do you know about "Free" of The Stone City Band?

I'm glad to hear his fiancee speak. Much more insight about Mark.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Nothing in Columbus either.

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 08:11 PM
That's nice that she called in. She just mentioned that his service will be in Dayton on Saturday.

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Juice ! :cool: Thanks for the "shot out",and that's cool that you called in ! :)

Thanks for representing SDF on Joe Kelly's show ! :)

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Pshark: Thanks a lot. I was just looking at that the other day.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:24 PM
GeeTee

That wasn't my intention, but after hearing his fiancee speak, I called Joe up to try to touch base with her & mentioned what we were doing here & he asked me if I wanted to go on.

Unfortunately, I have a nasty head cold, so perhaps I shouldn't have. But, we are one of the few places that is having a running dialog about Mark & Soulful Detroit is home & you guys have been diehards for years.

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Get well Juice,and I'm glad that you were able to your voice heard.

pshark
03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah thanks Juice.
Sorry I have no info on Free. I didn't catch the name of his fiancee but I'm guess her name is Free, is that right?

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:34 PM
GeeTee

Thanks brother & though I write a lot, I'm not that crazy about hearing my voice on the air. I used to hate speaking on the mic. Deep, but too nasal! I really am hoping to speak with Free so that we can keep up with any future developments with Mark's music.

Thanks again.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Pshark

Yes, her name is Free. She mentioned that she sang background for The Stone City Band.

I forwarded my info, so hopefully I'll be hearing from her.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I certainly hope that Drac makes this show.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I also hope that Joe plays "Starting Over" or "For The Love Of U". Great ballads!

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I believe that this is Danny Webster singing lead on "We Can Make Love".

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
You're welcome Juice. Drac just called in.

pshark
03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Thank you, yeah I caught the part where she mentioned she was part of SSB.
You know its too bad that there's no 70's live video performance of Slave. They
did Kiirshner but they were lip synching.

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I wondered if Slave made any other TV appearances,besides DKRC ? I have that performance,and it is a shame that their performance was lip synced. It's no longer available on YouTube anymore.

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I know that some of their televised videos were once on youtube. I can't believe that they made no Soul Train appearances when they were hot as Hades.

GeeTee(HPK)
03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I wasn't sure if they ever appeared on Soul Train ,but that's a shame they never appeared during they're "heyday!" :[[

juicefree20
03-07-2011, 09:51 PM
GeeTee

I'm not sure that they didn't appear on Soul Train. It would seem to me that they should've appeared there back when they were hot. I guess that I'll have to look that up. But I'm sure that someone out there knows what shows they've appeared on.

Given that they were on Cotillion [[subsidiary of Atlantic), one would think that they should've been on tv at least a few times back then.

I was hoping to hear Drac expand on Mark & his contributions a bit more.

cozmic
03-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Cozmic, yep! I was north of where they got started and we were all in high school when they had their first hit with "Slide". It really doesn't seem that long ago.
By the time I was in college they were a very established band where you could just expect a hit with each single and album they dropped! A great loss.
Thanks again Marv for those memories :) and everyone else for their contributions/updates !

I read online that Joe Kelly's tribute-show will be re-aired this coming weekend.

Also spotted that Slave seemed to have appeared on Soul Train

Episode Guide > Season 11, Episode 12

Rockie Robbins / Slave

[[Overview Recap Cast Writers, Directors & Crew Trivia/Quotes Reviews)

Saturday December 19, 1981
Production Code : 378

Episode Summary
Rockie Robbins - "Time to Think" & "I Believe in You"
Slave - "Snap Shot"

Episode Cast and Crew
Don Cornelius - Host [ seasons 1-27 ]

Guest Cast
Rockie Robbins - Guest
Slave - Guests
Alice Arthur - Guest

Writers
Don Cornelius - Writer

Directors
J.D. Lobue - Director

www.tv.com/soul-train/rockie-robbins-slave/episode/114393/summary.html?tag=episode_header;summary

juicefree20
03-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I believe that I've found the death notice for Mark. I remember that his fiancee & son said that his funeral would be Saturday & if I remember correctly, they said that it would be at The House Of Wheat. Given the age, date of service & the location, I'm going to go with this for now.

I noticed on his page, someone thanked him for the music & most likely, they started the page for him. Again, I rather doubt that 2 men with the same name died the same day & will be having their service at the same time & location. Until I learn otherwise, I'll take an educated guess & post this here.

http://www.legacy.com/dayton/obituaries.asp?Page=SearchResults&DateRange=Today&Product=0

juicefree20
03-08-2011, 08:35 AM
As per last night's radio interview, the services for Mark Adams is as follows:

Sat. March 12 @ 11 a.m. @

House of Wheat Funeral Home, Inc.

2107 N. Gettysburg Ave.
Dayton, OH 45406

Phone: 937-274-1693
Fax: 937-274-3925
E-Mail: info@houseofwheat.com

For those of you who weren't able to hear Joe Kelley's show, Mark's fiancee Free said that everyone was welcome to come & show their love for Mark & that they'd be turning no one away. I hope that all those nearby, who were touched by mark's music will send him a grand send-off!

Mark Adams - R.I.P.

marv2
03-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I believe that I've found the death notice for Mark. I remember that his fiancee & son said that his funeral would be Saturday & if I remember correctly, they said that it would be at The House Of Wheat. Given the age, date of service & the location, I'm going to go with this for now.

I noticed on his page, someone thanked him for the music & most likely, they started the page for him. Again, I rather doubt that 2 men with the same name died the same day & will be having their service at the same time & location. Until I learn otherwise, I'll take an educated guess & post this here.

http://www.legacy.com/dayton/obituaries.asp?Page=SearchResults&DateRange=Today&Product=0

Juice, yes that is the correct one, the correct notice. I am disappointed that whoever contacted the paper did not write an obituary for Mark recognizing him as a member of the band "Slave". By not doing so, it is unlikely that it will make the "notable" notices that are syndicated in papers nationwide. Sad.

GeeTee(HPK)
03-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I wish I could attend the services. Dayton is only a 5 hour trip from Chicago.

Thanks Cozmic for posting the Soul Train info. I thought they made a appearance on Soul Train,but wasn't sure.

juicefree20
03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Marv

Mark's fiancee stated that they were living in Columbus. I thought that that could be why I found no information. However, I checked the Columbus papers, news & blotters & found nothing there either. Unfortunately, due to personnel shortages, many of the sources don't update their info quickly, especially when something happens over the weekend & a couple said that it could take up to 2 weeks before any changes would be reflected in their databases. It took me hours of checking & hundreds of pages of searching, before his death notice finally appeared.

Either way, I would imagine that we'll be reading something written in some publication. We've spread the word & I've noticed that the news of Mark's passing has been spreading through the blogs. Eventually, the news of his passing will reach the right ears & that's when we'll see him be acknowledged further.

Just seems a damn shame to me that it hasn't happened already.

juicefree20
03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Cozmic:

Thanks for that info. I just knew that there was no way that Slave didn't appear on Soul Train back then.

What makes me feel kinda old is that air date of Dec 1981. Nearly 30 years ago...

WHEW!!

chidrummer
03-09-2011, 12:22 AM
A source of mine close to the group says Mark died of an aneurysm. What kind of aneurysm wasn't confirmed. Everyone is, of course, kind of shocked by it all.

juicefree20
03-10-2011, 12:53 AM
ChiD

Ok...now I'm getting confused. On the radio tribute, it was said that Mark's funeral would be at The House Of Wheat. However, in his guest book, the address & place of service states that it will be held on Friday, March 11, 2011 at the Shiloh Baptist Church at 11:00 am. 3701 Fairbanks Ave. Dayton, Ohio

Do you have any way to confirm which is which? I know that The House Of Wheat was originally given on the tribute & that's another church entirely.

juicefree20
03-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Ok, we've finally gotten this worked out. Though on the radio it was announced that the House Of Wheat was the venue, they meant to say that House Of Wheat would be handling the funeral. Here's the correct information regarding the funeral services for Mark Adams of Slave, as per his obituary:

Friday, March 11, 2011 @ 11 am
Shiloh Baptist Church
3801 Fairbanks Ave.
Dayton, Ohio

http://www.legacy.com/dayton/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=149131916

mark speck
03-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Loved Slave's music...RIP, Mark, and thank you... :[[

Best,

Mark

KevLo
03-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

I heard about this on facebook the other day. I'm sorry to hear this R.I.P Mark

juicefree20
03-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Here's Doug Ramsay's podcast tribute to Mark...

http://www.vibesnscribes.com/?p=2642

msadams1
05-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Hello to you, ChiD, This is mark Adams fianc'e, FREE just to let you know I will do a live Interview later this month, about Mark in denver co, radio station KUVO Thanks for your blessing about My mark.

msadams1
05-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Hello Marv, this is Mark Adams Fianc'e free, i will be giving a live interview on a radio station in Denver Co, KUVO, and i will let all of his Fans know what happen, later this month, Thanks for your concens.

msadams1
05-16-2011, 10:20 AM
To Everyone that posted a comment about My Fianc'e Mark Adams [[SLAVE) I just want to say Thank you for all of your blessing and graditude about a man that was great at what he did, Thank You to all of my Brother's And sister's of all kind, I am truly thankful and mark would be to, I will be doing a live interview later this Month [[MAY) with KUVO in denver co, And will Let everyone know what is going on, Thanks again for everything, [[FREE) Freda kelley Adams, God Bless.

marv2
05-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Hello Marv, this is Mark Adams Fianc'e free, i will be giving a live interview on a radio station in Denver Co, KUVO, and i will let all of his Fans know what happen, later this month, Thanks for your concens.

Hello Freda and thank you. I am in New York, but Denver is one of my hometowns. I will be listening. I will look for the station's website. All the best to you.

Marv

chidrummer
05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Welcome to the forum, Freda, although under less than ideal circumstances. Please drop in from time to time and comment on some of the topics here. Pass the word on to Arrington and any others in the Dayton/Columbus area that appreciate music.