PDA

View Full Version : Blinky "Heart Full Of Soul: The Motown Anthology" 2CD set [[Real Gone) [[11/01/2019)

test

Motown Eddie
09-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Description
The story of Sondra "Blinky" Williams has long been shrouded in mystery. The soulful singer came to Motown Records in 1967 following stints at Vee-Jay and Atlantic, bringing her passionate and powerful deep soul sound to Hitsville, USA. Despite recording dozens of tracks between 1968 and 1973, only a small handful saw release: a mere four 45s plus an album of duets with Edwin Starr, two live cuts, and a couple of one-off recordings, including a key moment on the best-selling soundtrack of Lady Sings the Blues. Over the years, Blinky tracks would emerge on compilation releases, prompting fans worldwide to clamor for more and even launch a "Free Blinky from the Vaults" campaign. Now, Blinky is free at last—and her full story can be told. Heart Full of Soul—--The Motown Anthology is the ultimate collection dedicated to Motown's great lost superstar. Over two CDs and almost 50 songs, Blinky's Motown journey is chronicled with songs written and produced for her by the label's greatest talents including Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson, Clay McMurray, Frank Wilson, Hal Davis, Gil Askey, Deke Richards, Jerry Marcellino and Mel Larson, Don Hunter, and Stevie Wonder. The first disc presents her 1970 album Sunny and Warm in complete form for the very first time along with all of her released singles plus rarities and live tracks. The second disc premieres over 20 never-before-heard recordings, both in original Motown stereo mixes and brand-new mixes by Kevin Reeves, that showcase the depth and breadth of Blinky's remarkable voice. Released with the full cooperation of the artist, Heart Full of Soul: The Motown Anthology has been produced and annotated by the team of Joe Marchese and Andrew Skurow [[Bobby Darin's Go Ahead and Back Up: The Lost Motown Masters, The Supremes' The Ultimate Merry Christmas), and mastered by Kevin Reeves [[The Supremes' Expanded Editions) from the original tapes. The deluxe booklet [[housed inside a 6-panel digipak) features rare photographs and extensive liner notes drawing on a new interview with Blinky. Gospel, jazz, R&B, and the classic Motown Sound all come together with the distinctive voice of Motown's greatest "lost" artist, Blinky. Heart Full of Soul has to be heard to be believed.

Tracklist
[CD1]
1. I Wouldn't Change the Man He Is
2. Rescue Me
3. How You Gonna Keep It
4. This Man of Mine
5. It's Gonna Be Always
6. How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone
7. Shine on Me
8. For Once in My Life
9. I'll Always Love You
10. Is There a Place [[in His Heart for Me)
11. This Time Last Summer
12. Your Love Is Worth Waiting For
13. God Bless the Child
14. The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game
15. Can I Get a Witness
16. T'Ain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do [[Lady Sings the Blues Version)
17. Money [[That's What I Want) [[Single Version)
18. For Your Precious Love [[Single Version)
19. T'Ain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do [[Single Version)
20. What More Can I Do
21. You Get A Tangle in Your Lifeline
22. I Can't Turn You Loose
23. I Wouldn't Change the Man He Is
24. God Bless the Child [[Previously unreleased)

[CD2]
1. Heart Full of Soul
2. Don't Leave Your Baby
3. I'd Feel a Lot Better
4. [[I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
5. Let's Stay Together
6. Mr. Soul Brother
7. Thank You God
8. It's Been a Long Time Happenin'
9. I've Gotta Get You Back
10. The Fool on the Hill
11. A Little Bit of Heaven [[on A Little Patch of Earth)
12. How Can I Go On
13. Inside
14. You'll Never Cherish a Love So True [['Til You Lose It)
15. I'm Just a Woman [[Not Strong)
16. You're the Loser Now
17. You Keep Telling Me Lies
18. One Half of Love
19. I'll Make It Up to You
20. Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight
21. You're My Morning Light
22. People Make the World Go Round

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XGDY5GJ/?tag=imwan-20

[[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XGDY5GJ/?tag=imwan-20)https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51EF8mKPc-L.jpg
[[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XGDY5GJ/?tag=imwan-20)

grapevine
09-07-2019, 11:47 AM
…Free at last …Free at last …thank God almighty …Blinky’s free at last!!!!

:)

alanh
09-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Thanks Eddie...great news.....and some Motown on CD at last too!!

Guy
09-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Wow! Finally! This is indeed great news. I will pre-order.

144man
09-07-2019, 02:10 PM
Wow! I can hardly wait.

copley
09-07-2019, 02:35 PM
And forever came today :)

kenneth
09-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Fantastic! Can't wait to finally see this one! Real Gone is to be commended. They put out so much great stuff. Let's support them, guys!

jboy88
09-07-2019, 03:53 PM
I’d said that our patience would pay off, and it has. Thanks Real Gone and everyone else involved.

luckyluckyme
09-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Thud! Now that I 've picked myself off the floor, might I ask if Real Gone has asked/will ask Blinky about autographing copies that will be sold on their website? It's been done several times before with the featured artist's co-operation. Or is this something to which people are also sworn to secrecy?

Roger Polhill
09-07-2019, 04:48 PM
How wonderful this news is as there hasn`t been much lately to get enthused about.I can`t get my head around vinyl only releases. I bought the "Sounds Of Motown" LP recently and had it transferred to CD, but it`s an expensive pain in the arse.
Copley I`m so happy for you.

sophisticated_soul
09-07-2019, 05:18 PM
Good News! Real Gone is awesome, I am a regular customer.:)

copley
09-07-2019, 06:23 PM
How wonderful this news is as there hasn`t been much lately to get enthused about.I can`t get my head around vinyl only releases. I bought the "Sounds Of Motown" LP recently and had it transferred to CD, but it`s an expensive pain in the arse.
Copley I`m so happy for you.

Thanks Roger, to say I'm over the moon is an understatement :)

luckyluckyme
09-07-2019, 07:46 PM
It's been said above but still nice [[even if blurry).

daviddesper
09-07-2019, 11:57 PM
As a Motown completist, I will probably buy this if it is reasonable enough. As I keep saying, keep them coming!

Philles/Motown Gary
09-08-2019, 12:08 AM
Thanks, Eddie! I've pre-ordered my copy. According to Amazon, Blinky is their "#1 New Release". Way to go, Blinky!

mysterysinger
09-08-2019, 04:52 AM
Great news and a just have to have.

mowsville
09-08-2019, 10:22 AM
About time..this is a must have for me.

kenneth
09-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Just ordered mine. Let's be sure to get behind this release. Never thought we'd see it but thrilled that Real Gone is putting it out. Their releases are so high quality.

thommg
09-08-2019, 06:53 PM
This is a definite buy! So excited that Blinky will be freed from the vaults and I will enjoy her time in my cd player!

TomatoTom123
09-08-2019, 07:55 PM
OMG, I can't believe it! How fantastic! Looks amazing!

lakedistrictlad1
09-09-2019, 07:24 AM
I've been checking this site regular for new releases and so far this year, aside from Jr Walker & The All Stars,' has been a huge dud for new CD releases.
This is amazing news. I can't wait to get this!

jboy88
09-09-2019, 05:46 PM
I've been checking this site regular for new releases and so far this year, aside from Jr Walker & The All Stars,' has been a huge dud for new CD releases.
This is amazing news. I can't wait to get this!

The excitement i have for this release is as great as if they were ten releases on the same day! I’m ordering mine as soon as I get my next paycheck.

thommg
09-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Just ordered mine direct from Real Gone. This is a very exciting release!

jack020
09-10-2019, 02:35 AM
Could not find it on the RG site:[[

danman869
09-10-2019, 08:55 AM
It requires some searching as the RGM site is inexplicably a bit out of date:

https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products/blinky-heart-full-of-soul-the-motown-anthology-2-cd-set [[https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products/blinky-heart-full-of-soul-the-motown-anthology-2-cd-set)

Philles/Motown Gary
09-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the RGM link to Blinky, danman. I've cancelled my Amazon order and have ordered it through Real Gone Music instead.

thommg
09-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Could not find it on the RG site:[[

jack020, I put Blinky in the search function and it came up as a pre-order.

zani57
09-10-2019, 03:22 PM
From The Second Disc —

https://theseconddisc.com/2019/09/breaking-second-disc-real-gone-release-first-ever-collection-from-motowns-lost-superstar-blinky/

Soulmusic4life
09-11-2019, 12:45 AM
Here's hoping IVY JO HUNTER is followed up next. Keep up the great work REEL GONE MUSIC.

jobeterob
09-11-2019, 01:19 AM
This is amazing!

snakepit
09-11-2019, 03:16 AM
Here's hoping IVY JO HUNTER is followed up next. Keep up the great work REEL GONE MUSIC.

coudn't agree more

jack020
09-11-2019, 03:45 AM
Thnx for the info guys!
Cheaper than Amazon at the RG site:)

But 14 $ for shipping,taxes etc is way too much.
Will wait for the price to come down

the sound of young america
09-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Great news indeed.

Congratulations to all of the team involved in bringing the project to fruition.

SecondDiscJoe
10-31-2019, 05:48 PM
Hello friends! I'm popping in here to let you know that, due to a small manufacturing delay, Blinky's HEART FULL OF SOUL: THE MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY will now be arriving in stores [[and mailboxes!) on Friday, November 15. Everybody at Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records apologizes for this slight delay, but rest assured that Blinky will be free from the vaults - at last! - in just two weeks. In the meantime, I hope to see any L.A. fans at Blinky's concert on November 13 at Catalina Jazz Club in Hollywood. CDs will be available at the show, and I expect it to be an incredible evening with Motown's great unsung superstar. Thanks, everybody!

kenneth
10-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Hello friends! I'm popping in here to let you know that, due to a small manufacturing delay, Blinky's HEART FULL OF SOUL: THE MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY will now be arriving in stores [[and mailboxes!) on Friday, November 15. Everybody at Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records apologizes for this slight delay, but rest assured that Blinky will be free from the vaults - at last! - in just two weeks. In the meantime, I hope to see any L.A. fans at Blinky's concert on November 13 at Catalina Jazz Club in Hollywood. CDs will be available at the show, and I expect it to be an incredible evening with Motown's great unsung superstar. Thanks, everybody!

I guess seeing as how we've waited so long already, and yours is the first company to actually free Blinky, we have to forgive you!

SecondDiscJoe
10-31-2019, 06:02 PM
I guess seeing as how we've waited so long already, and yours is the first company to actually free Blinky, we have to forgive you!

Thanks, Kenneth. I have to admit - it's a bit ironic that this particular release was held up unexpectedly! But I hope that once everyone has a copy, it will have been worth the wait.

luckyluckyme
10-31-2019, 06:07 PM
Rumor has it that Blinky was seen signing copies recently. True or false?

SecondDiscJoe
10-31-2019, 06:31 PM
Rumor has it that Blinky was seen signing copies recently. True or false?

I'm happy to say that this is very true! We'll have an official announcement coming soon about how to obtain an autographed copy.

SecondDiscJoe
11-01-2019, 03:22 PM
One last update, folks: I've just learned this morning that the final, revised street date is now November 22. That said, pre-orders made directly from Real Gone Music's website should arrive earlier than that, and CDs will be available at Blinky's November 13 concert at Catalina Jazz Club in Hollywood. I truly can't wait for all of you to see and hear this release; so sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I promise that November 22 is just around the corner!

kenneth
11-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Come on guys, let's get behind this release. We're not getting these at the frequency we used to, so be sure to support those at Real Gone who finally did what we've hoped for, for years. And be sure to post your reviews on Amazon, not just here, so we're not just preaching to the choir. Thanks!

SatansBlues
11-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Come on guys, let's get behind this release. We're not getting these at the frequency we used to, so be sure to support those at Real Gone who finally did what we've hoped for, for years. And be sure to post your reviews on Amazon, not just here, so we're not just preaching to the choir. Thanks!

I agree! Let' get behind this and buy up this release quickly!

Philles/Motown Gary
11-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Already did, Kenny! I had already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon from day 1, but then canceled it and ordered it directly from Real Gone to be sure that Blinky's CD gets credit for the sale. The more credits earned, the higher the chance of Real Gone releasing other Motown CDs like the remaining titles by The Originals.

luckyluckyme
11-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Not the best quality , but we'll take what we get. Starts at 3:46 and ends at 7:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24fXEmbBXU

luckyluckyme
11-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Those who subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited can hear a few [[3) of the unreleased songs via:

allmusic.com/album/heart-full-of-soul-the-8230--mw0003319414?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-11-01

TomatoTom123
11-06-2019, 09:31 PM
[[Still) can't wait! :)

Danno
11-07-2019, 06:47 AM
Just had notification from amazon that it has gone to December 6th.

copley
11-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Those who subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited can hear a few [[3) of the unreleased songs via:

allmusic.com/album/heart-full-of-soul-the-8230--mw0003319414?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-11-01

Really? I can't see anything from the new album by our Blinky!

kenneth
11-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Real Gone is an amazing label, run by Gordon Anderson who was the founder of Collectors Choice music, another great mail order label which back in the 90s was, after Rhino and Bear Family, practically the only really worthy reissue label, and about the only one which focused on Pop, Vocals and R&B which had been neglected by other reissue labels. Rhino tended to focus on Rock and Bear Family on Country.

Real Gone just released its Christmas 2019 titles and they're great, including a double CD of Chet Atkins from various labels, Jim Reeves [[the country artist who died young in a plane crash, I believe), and Leroy Anderson [[who wrote "Sleigh Ride" and lots of novelty instrumental numbers like "Syncopated Clock").

They've also released so much other great stuff. I have quite a few CDs from their catalog.

carlo
11-08-2019, 04:57 PM
I pre-ordered this set from importcds.com and for some reason, my order ended up being cancelled and I was sent an email stating that the item has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Very odd. Perhaps it has to do with the change in the release date. I suppose I will try pre-ordering from the label's website itself.

copley
11-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Just Blinky.

https://youtu.be/cDnGmBZMwP4

Roger Polhill
11-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Thanks for this copley. Would you by any chance know the dates for this show?

thommg
11-08-2019, 06:00 PM
If anyone is in the Los Angeles, California area you might be interested in this. Also, I understand there will be signed copies of the new set available at this event.

kenneth
11-08-2019, 06:20 PM
The Catalina Bar & Grill is such a great place. Every seat is great, the atmosphere is fun and reminds me of an old style jazz club from back in the 40s or 50s. Their food is good too and very reasonably priced. A really fun place to see and hear lots of different artists.

I don't know if I can make it on a Wednesday night but it's a great venue and I'm sure Blinky will be great. She looks fabulous in the photo!

Thanks for posting @thonmg!

Philles/Motown Gary
11-08-2019, 10:34 PM
The Catalina Bar & Grill is such a great place. Every seat is great, the atmosphere is fun and reminds me of an old style jazz club from back in the 40s or 50s. Their food is good too and very reasonably priced. A really fun place to see and hear lots of different artists.

I don't know if I can make it on a Wednesday night but it's a great venue and I'm sure Blinky will be great. She looks fabulous in the photo!

Thanks for posting @thonmg!
Wow! You're right, Kenny. Blinky's new photo looks fantastic! You really oughta go to her concert. You know you'll kick yourself later if you don't!

Fullfillingnessfirstfinale
11-12-2019, 03:41 AM
Is there somebody who heard her version of "How long has that evening train been gone" I hope it is near the DRATS version. Someboday wrote in the past Blinky don´t use the DRATS band track. I am very curious about it but on the other hand, I was disapointed above her version of "The hunter", because the atmosphare of the track is gone on Blinky´s version. Thanks for any reply.

Soulmusic4life
11-12-2019, 06:33 AM
Judt ordered my copy tonight. Can't wait to receive it.

SecondDiscJoe
11-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Hello friends,

Just a heads-up that, for those interested, autographed copies of Blinky's HEART FULL OF SOUL: THE MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY are available *now* exclusively through Real Gone Music's website:

https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products/blinky-heart-full-of-soul-the-motown-anthology-2-cd-set?_pos=1&_sid=fdfb8e86d&_ss=r

This offer is limited to the first 100 orders. One per customer. Here's a photo of Blinky signing the CDs with Real Gone's Gordon Anderson and yours truly [[the set's co-producer, Joe Marchese).

SatansBlues
11-21-2019, 03:57 PM
I can't wait to hear this collection!

superlou
11-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Dusty Groove now shows a Dec. 6 release date. Has it been pushed back again?

Philles/Motown Gary
11-21-2019, 06:11 PM
I just got an email from Real Gone Music that my Blinky CD copy has shipped. When I tracked the shipping, it said that a mailing label has been created. I'm thinking probably Tuesday it should be here.

thommg
11-21-2019, 06:15 PM
I just got an email from Real Gone Music that my Blinky CD copy has shipped. When I tracked the shipping, it said that a mailing label has been created. I'm thinking probably Tuesday it should be here.

I got the same e-mail, Philles/Motown Gary! I got all excited. Hoping I'll have it before Thanksgiving in the states.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-21-2019, 06:33 PM
I got the same e-mail, Philles/Motown Gary! I got all excited. Hoping I'll have it before Thanksgiving in the states.

I know, Thom! Me, too! I got scared when I saw superlou's message [[two posts above) about it being pushed back to December 6. At that moment was when my Shipping Confirmation email came through that it's been shipped! Whew!

luckyluckyme
11-21-2019, 06:45 PM
I also got the shipping confirmation. How many blinks of the eye until Blinky arrives? It will be well worth it.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Lucky, I forget what we paid for shipping. Was it First Class Mail or was it Expedited? Do you remember?

luckyluckyme
11-21-2019, 08:23 PM
Shipping is First Class. If you click on the View Your Order icon, it is listed in the bottom left corner.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-21-2019, 08:35 PM
Shipping is First Class. If you click on the View Your Order icon, it is listed in the bottom left corner.

Thanks, Lucky. We should have 'em in our hands by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, I should think.

SecondDiscJoe
11-22-2019, 04:51 PM
Dusty Groove now shows a Dec. 6 release date. Has it been pushed back again?

Copies are shipping now directly from Real Gone Music. After a series of hiccups on the manufacturing end, December 6 is the new, final wide release date. Only two more weeks before Blinky is officially freed from the vaults!

SatansBlues
11-22-2019, 05:22 PM
It's listed as SOLD OUT on the Real Gone Music website or am I missing something?

marv2
11-22-2019, 05:35 PM
I feel a little strange because I had never really heard any of Blinky's music before. I have to look her up.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-22-2019, 05:50 PM
I feel a little strange because I had never really heard any of Blinky's music before. I have to look her up.

Marv, check out Blinky's duet album tracks with Edwin Starr on YouTube. It's a great album! Also check out Blinky's first solo single on Motown proper, "I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is". Produced by Ashford & Simpson, it's a blues scorcher sounding exactly as you would expect from Nick & Val -- HOT!

SecondDiscJoe
11-22-2019, 06:25 PM
It's listed as SOLD OUT on the Real Gone Music website or am I missing something?

Wow, go Blinky! It seems that the initial, autographed stock has sold out within one day. Don't worry - while the autographs are gone, more stock will certainly be available via RGM [[as well as traditional channels) very shortly. I'll post here when more copies become available.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Wow, go Blinky! It seems that the initial, autographed stock has sold out within one day. Don't worry - while the autographs are gone, more stock will certainly be available via RGM [[as well as traditional channels) very shortly. I'll post here when more copies become available.
Wow, that's great, Joe! Sounds like you guys have got yourselves a winner!

marv2
11-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Marv, check out Blinky's duet album tracks with Edwin Starr on YouTube. It's a great album! Also check out Blinky's first solo single on Motown proper, "I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is". Produced by Ashford & Simpson, it's a blues scorcher sounding exactly as you would expect from Nick & Val -- HOT!

I will check them out. Thanks Gary.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-22-2019, 10:23 PM
I will check them out. Thanks Gary.

Here ya go, Marv. For your musical pleasure:

BLINKY - "I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is"
https://youtu.be/SDL3U6kZVHI

EDWIN STARR & BLINKY - "Just We Two" - 1969 LP/CD [[Gordy):

1) "You've Made Me So Very Happy"
https://youtu.be/MSZy16oT4jU

2) "I'm So Thankful"
https://youtu.be/O4eHX9zyG8U

3) "Oh How Happy"
https://youtu.be/1OtYTrMKOyM

4) "Let It Be Me"
https://youtu.be/idTNuUWnOmk

5) "I'm Glad You Belong To Me"
https://youtu.be/LJv26Ow3l1M

6) "I'll Understand"
https://youtu.be/Xw3ovFkRlrQ

7) "We'll Find A Way"
https://youtu.be/10Y6NI4sjnc

8) "Sweet Joy Of Life"
https://youtu.be/usFkPP5sHJE

9) "Can't We Be Strangers Again"
https://youtu.be/PVNzG46Y9HM

10) "I See A Rainbow"
https://youtu.be/I9LeJu86k7s

11) "Ooh Baby Baby"
https://youtu.be/1-oR_Fx82rw

Philles/Motown Gary
11-23-2019, 01:37 AM
Good news regarding the new Blinky CD! Once the mailing labels were created, it finally arrived at a USPS station in Anaheim, CA. Expected delivery is Monday, November 25, by 8:00 p.m. Thom, we're gonna get our wish of having it in our grubby little hands by Thanksgiving [[and then some)! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

luckyluckyme
11-23-2019, 05:46 AM
I was surprised to receive the same e-mail about Monday delivery as well. As Blinky sings, Thank You God!

thommg
11-23-2019, 02:12 PM
Good news regarding the new Blinky CD! Once the mailing labels were created, it finally arrived at a USPS station in Anaheim, CA. Expected delivery is Monday, November 25, by 8:00 p.m. Thom, we're gonna get our wish of having it in our grubby little hands by Thanksgiving [[and then some)! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

This is perfect, Gary! I'll have an extended weekend to play it full blast at home! Happy Thanksgiving to us!

copley
11-23-2019, 03:10 PM
I've had my copy for a few days. All I will say is that you will love it. The music is out of this world and booklet is beautiful and packed full of information. Blinky - free at last.

SatansBlues
11-23-2019, 03:42 PM
I've had my copy for a few days. All I will say is that you will love it. The music is out of this world and booklet is beautiful and packed full of information. Blinky - free at last.

Oh wow. So happy that it's official out there! I can't wait to hear this collection.

Roger Polhill
11-23-2019, 03:48 PM

Wonderful John. I hope that you

dickiemint
11-23-2019, 06:52 PM
Any reviews of Blinky live ??

Soulmusic4life
11-24-2019, 08:55 AM
Hallelujah. My copy should be arriving tomorrow. Can't wait. Merry Christmas.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-24-2019, 05:35 PM
This is perfect, Gary! I'll have an extended weekend to play it full blast at home! Happy Thanksgiving to us!

Thom, I hope I haven't given you false hope regarding my tracking info. for Monday's delivery. Last night, I was checking my original order and was reminded that I had opted for Priority Mail. If you chose Priority Mail as well, you're in the clear; if not, you may or may not see a Monday delivery. However, luckyluckyme said that he paid for First Class Mail and yet he, too, got the confirmation of a Monday delivery. So your chances of getting yours on Monday may still be good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

copley
11-24-2019, 05:59 PM
I have my fingers crossed for everyone. I've played it twice now and have so many new favs it's wild :)

luckyluckyme
11-24-2019, 07:04 PM
I assume it depends on the distance from the point of origin, and the efficiency of one's local postal system- although for a package coming from the west coast to the east, I'm appreciative of such fast service.

thommg
11-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Thom, I hope I haven't given you false hope regarding my tracking info. for Monday's delivery. Last night, I was checking my original order and was reminded that I had opted for Priority Mail. If you chose Priority Mail as well, you're in the clear; if not, you may or may not see a Monday delivery. However, luckyluckyme said that he paid for First Class Mail and yet he, too, got the confirmation of a Monday delivery. So your chances of getting yours on Monday may still be good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I checked and it says delivery Monday by 8:00pm. I think I'm in the clear! And I ordered it so long ago that I can't remember what shipping method I chose!

Philles/Motown Gary
11-24-2019, 11:47 PM
I checked and it says delivery Monday by 8:00pm. I think I'm in the clear! And I ordered it so long ago that I can't remember what shipping method I chose!
Oh, that's good to hear, Thom. I was dreading having to disappoint you. Sounds like the only disappointment here is that I wasted the extra bucks on Priority Mail!

Philles/Motown Gary
11-24-2019, 11:51 PM
I have my fingers crossed for everyone. I've played it twice now and have so many new favs it's wild :)

Hey, Copley! Just curious here -- how did you manage to get your copy so early?

copley
11-25-2019, 07:13 AM
I got an advance copy :)

Philles/Motown Gary
11-25-2019, 11:17 AM
I got an advance copy :)

Cool! My copy is Out For Delivery. Can't wait!!!

mysterysinger
11-25-2019, 01:35 PM
So, Blinky is freed. Who's next?

copley
11-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Cool! My copy is Out For Delivery. Can't wait!!!

Fingers crossed that you get her soon. I'm sure that you will love it :)

Philles/Motown Gary
11-25-2019, 02:18 PM
Fingers crossed that you get her soon. I'm sure that you will love it :)
Thanks, Cop! I'm expecting it'll be here mid-to-late afternoon. Oh, I already know I'll love it! Tracks like "I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is" and "It's Gonna Be Always" are among Motown's finest! There's bound to be other gems on there just as good!

motony
11-25-2019, 03:36 PM
How was the show at the Catalina Bar & Grill?

thommg
11-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Gary! My package just arrived and I am so excited! [[I know that's the Pointer Sisters but, well, who cares?) Very pleased to find that I got one of the autographed covers along with my order. Happy Thanksgiving to all. I'm be the one with the headphones on, ignoring everyone!

Philles/Motown Gary
11-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Gary! My package just arrived and I am so excited! [[I know that's the Pointer Sisters but, well, who cares?) Very pleased to find that I got one of the autographed covers along with my order. Happy Thanksgiving to all. I'm be the one with the headphones on, ignoring everyone!

Congrats, Tom! Still waiting for mine to arrive [[and to think I was worried about YOU not getting YOUR copy on time! Ha!) Not worried; mine will be here within the next hour or two. Have fun with it! This release is REALLY SPECIAL!

luckyluckyme
11-25-2019, 04:27 PM
I'm thoroughly enjoying mine right now, although I must say it will take a little getting used to hearing 2 familiar songs in new settings- How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone & Shine On Me.
And even a new Lewis Sisters Composition!

luckyluckyme
11-25-2019, 07:45 PM
To all involved in getting this wonderful Blinky Motown Anthology to us thank you & congratulations.
Is it safe to assume that Blinky never recorded a version of "If I Were Your Woman" at Motown even though Clay McMurray stated that it was written for her?
I was surprised that Blinky didn't like any of the Gil Askey project [[Mowest 101) tunes. Did Don Hunter record any more tracks with Blinky in 1970? The 5 featured are fabulous.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-25-2019, 07:48 PM
Thom & Copley: Got my copy! And, Thom -- I, too, received an autographed copy which was a pleasant surprise! Haven't played it yet, but will later tonight. In the meantime, I'm reading the booklet from cover to cover. Wow! So many beautiful photos of Blinky on the front, back, and inside covers as well as in the booklet. Just incredible!

thommg
11-25-2019, 09:33 PM
Thom & Copley: Got my copy! And, Thom -- I, too, received an autographed copy which was a pleasant surprise! Haven't played it yet, but will later tonight. In the meantime, I'm reading the booklet from cover to cover. Wow! So many beautiful photos of Blinky on the front, back, and inside covers as well as in the booklet. Just incredible!

It would have been horrible, Gary, if you had NOT received yours today! The packaging is indeed fantastic. A quality release! Blinky has risen from the vaults with a vengeance! Woo Hoo!

copley
11-25-2019, 10:56 PM
Well where do I begin. Just played disc 2 for a second time. Have so many new favs.

Heart Full of Soul
Let's Stay Together
Mr Soul Brother
A Little Bit of Heaven [[On A Little Patch Of Earth)**
How Can I Go On
Inside
You'll Never Cherish A Love So True [['Til You Lose It)
I'm Just A Woman [[Not Strong) **
You're The Loser Now **
You Keep Telling Me Lies
I'll Make It Up To You
You're My Morning Light
People Make The World Go Round

** Might just be may fav fav's

Can't wait for you all to hear it. Have been grinning like the Cheshire cat for days.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-25-2019, 11:17 PM
It would have been horrible, Gary, if you had received yours today! The packaging is indeed fantastic. A quality release! Blinky has risen from the vaults with a vengeance! Woo Hoo!

You mean horrible had I NOT received my copy! Yes, Thom, I would have been heartbroken. I just finished reading Joe Marchese's excellent liner notes. There's a ton of text in that 40-page mini-book -- all interesting, too. Again, the photos in this set are very impressive. It all leaves you wishing you had met and gotten to know Blinky during her years at Motown. After a late night dinner, I'll be spinning CD1 under the headphones with an ice-cold beer in hand. Maybe even Disc 2, too!

Soulmusic4life
11-26-2019, 12:37 AM
My copy is here. Thanks to all the people involved putting this masterpiece together. My came with an autographed copy of just the package without the CDs plus my regular copy with the CDs and booklet.

thommg
11-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Gary, yes! I just edited my original post to add the NOT! I must've been extremely excited when I posted that!

kenneth
11-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Amazon US says the release date isn't until December 13! What is going on with Amazon and why bother to place a pre-order when they are so slow about satisfying the orders? I'm going to see what this costs at Real Gone. $27 on Amazon isn't a bargain, anyway.

I ended up canceling my Amazon order. It was a few dollars cheaper on Real Gone's web site, but a few of their new Christmas albums were also cheaper than on Amazon so I saved a few dollars by buying directly there. Can't wait to hear Blinky's set!

Don't forget to post your reviews on Amazon, guys!

woodward
11-28-2019, 12:50 PM
I got an email this morning from Deep Discount. I searched for the CD. It showed the $31.99 price to now be $28.76 and the release date is indicated to be 12/13/19.

What confuses me to no end is the distribution cycle of newly released CDs. When they are manufactured in the UK, how are they distributed in the US? I could never figure this out.

DJMoch
11-29-2019, 01:16 AM
I just received the set today. Actually, I received two things. One full package containing the CD's and liner notes, and a second empty package, but with Blinky's signature on it. So I moved the discs and liner notes to the autographed package :D I haven't had the pleasure of listening to it yet, but I definitely will tomorrow!

Roger Polhill
11-30-2019, 09:01 PM
An excellent package and the autograph makes it special. A big thanks to Real Gone Music and John for his persistence.Thank you.

SatansBlues
12-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Any more reviews of this collection? I'm still waiting on mine to arrive. What are the standout songs?

copley
12-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Well where do I begin. Have played disc 2 for a third time. Have so many new favs.

Heart Full of Soul
Let's Stay Together
Mr Soul Brother
A Little Bit of Heaven [[On A Little Patch Of Earth)**
How Can I Go On
Inside
You'll Never Cherish A Love So True [['Til You Lose It)
I'm Just A Woman [[Not Strong) **
You're The Loser Now **
You Keep Telling Me Lies
I'll Make It Up To You
You're My Morning Light
People Make The World Go Round

** Might just be may fav fav's

Can't wait for you all to hear it. Have been grinning like the Cheshire cat for days.

Soulmusic4life
12-06-2019, 07:23 AM
The best song is IT'S GONNA BE ALWAYS first released in 2010 on CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN VOLUME 4. Anything else is fighting for second place.

grapevine
12-07-2019, 11:08 AM
16618 [[https://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16615)

16619 [[https://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16616)

16620 [[https://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16617)

Blinky has arrived at the Grapes...!! Freed at Last...!!!

Looks and sounds wonderful ...well worth the wait...!

Grape :)

DJMoch
12-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Having finally had a chance to listen to the collection, I have to say I'm so utterly happy Blinky has finally achieved her moment in the sun. It's an amazing collection of brilliant songs, and it feels almost criminal that she never really got a chance back in the day. And yet again, I get bowled over that quality stuff like this has been sitting in vaults gathering dust for over 5 decades!

Congrats, Blinky, it's an amazing collection, and thanks to everyone who made this amazing set possible. Pat yourselves on the back, that's the least you deserve! :D

And I'll reiterate others. Thank god Blinky is free at last! :D

cheekylincs
12-09-2019, 01:17 PM
What were Motown thinking not giving this lady the promotion she deserved - such a talent

copley
12-09-2019, 06:31 PM
I first heard of Blinky Williams in 1968 upon the release of ‘I Wouldn’t Change The Man He Is’ which was her initial Motown single. During her five year tenure less than a handful of singles were issued and three albums were scheduled but cancelled. Her duet album with Edwin Starr ‘Just We Two’ was excellent but failed to make an impact. She can be heard on the soundtrack to the movie ‘The Lady Sings The Blues’. Upon leaving Motown Blinky stopped singing secular music in favour of sacred, in other words she went back to her roots.

Jump forward to 1998 and the release of ‘Motown Sings Motown Treasures’ which included Blinky’s previously unreleased version of ‘The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game’. This set the ball rolling, albeit ever so slowly, and during the next 20 years several more tracks escaped from the vaults leading to the successful ‘Free Blinky From The Vaults’ campaign started by ardent fan whose cries were echoed by many others. In autumn 2019 word came that a Blinky project was nearing completion and on 6th December the gates finally opened with the release of the double CD ‘Heart Full of Soul’.

So with the background set what have we got and was it worth the 50 year wait. Well of course it was worth the wait as it’s the best Motown album ever! There are 46 tracks of which over half were previously unreleased. When you hear the quality of the music you will understand when I say that the much delayed release of Blinky’s recordings is the crime of the century. Motown should be ashamed at how Blinky was treated. However, she is finally free and has got the recognition she deserves including from none other than Berry Gordy so all is forgiven.

Blinky’s vocal range is like none of her Motown contemporaries. With a background of singing gospel with the Church of God in Christ Singers [[COGICS) she can sound raw, bluesy, melodic, tender, joyous but always soulful. It’s really impossible to pick out favourite tracks so I’ll name only a few like ‘What More Can I Do’ with Roy Gaines, ‘This Time Last Summer’, ‘A Little Bit Of Heaven [[On A Little Patch Of Earth), ‘I’m Just A Woman [[Not Strong)’, ‘You’re The Loser Now’ & ‘I’ll Make It Up To You’. Oh and I must not forget to mention her version of ‘For Once In My Life’ which blows all others out of the water.

Blinky worked with some of Motown’s greatest writers and producers. Gil Askey, Ashford & Simpson, Frank Wilson, Don Hunter & Clay McMurray the latter also helped to put this package together but sadly died before it was released. The CD has a colourful 40 page booklet packed with information and great photographs.

Blinky herself has been fully active in promoting ‘Heart Full Of Soul’ by appearing in LA and autographing CD’s. Hopefully she will come to the UK in 2020 to perform an ‘out of the vaults’ concert.

For me and many others this has been a dream come true. Making this possible I’d like to thank Andy Skurow, Joe Marchese, Gordon Anderson, Kevin Reeves, the Free Blinky From The Vaults campaign and of course Blinky herself for the wonderful music.

mowsville
12-12-2019, 04:59 PM
W..O..W....received my copy today...what a set...honestly how good is this...standout track for me is A Little Bit Of Heaven...proper late 60s Motown...thanks to all involved with this...its totally amazing..thank you thank you.

12-13-2019, 05:50 AM
It is really an incredible set an in fact there are better versions of the songs on the album as the single versions, in particular "I´ll always love you" with a full piano intro and an ending. I was shocked as I read that this song was the B-Side of I wouldn´t change the man he is. IMHO Blinky´s version from this Ed Cobb song is the best ever, her voice is perfectly arranged with the song, it is deep soul and the lyrics comes from the button of her heart directly. I love that song very much !

Some pictures reminds me to other Motown artist, like sitting with the guitars, similar as Tammis Cover for "Irresistible" or her jumping at the end of the booklet like The Marvelettes in thier booklet on Forever 2, it was a photoshooting with the last line up with Ann Bogan.

Thank you very much for this sophisticated, marvelous Blinky Motown Anthology

mowsville
12-13-2019, 06:25 AM
I'll always love you is absolutely stunning...ive always loved Brendas version but this is just pure class.

Boogiedown
12-13-2019, 12:33 PM
I first heard of Blinky Williams in 1968 upon the release of ‘I Wouldn’t Change The Man He Is’ which was her initial Motown single. During her five year tenure less than a handful of singles were issued and three albums were scheduled but cancelled. Her duet album with Edwin Starr ‘Just We Two’ was excellent but failed to make an impact. She can be heard on the soundtrack to the movie ‘The Lady Sings The Blues’. Upon leaving Motown Blinky stopped singing secular music in favour of sacred, in other words she went back to her roots.

Jump forward to 1998 and the release of ‘Motown Sings Motown Treasures’ which included Blinky’s previously unreleased version of ‘The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game’. This set the ball rolling, albeit ever so slowly, and during the next 20 years several more tracks escaped from the vaults leading to the successful ‘Free Blinky From The Vaults’ campaign started by ardent fan whose cries were echoed by many others. In autumn 2019 word came that a Blinky project was nearing completion and on 6th December the gates finally opened with the release of the double CD ‘Heart Full of Soul’.

So with the background set what have we got and was it worth the 50 year wait. Well of course it was worth the wait as it’s the best Motown album ever! There are 46 tracks of which over half were previously unreleased. When you hear the quality of the music you will understand when I say that the much delayed release of Blinky’s recordings is the crime of the century. Motown should be ashamed at how Blinky was treated. However, she is finally free and has got the recognition she deserves including from none other than Berry Gordy so all is forgiven.

Blinky’s vocal range is like none of her Motown contemporaries. With a background of singing gospel with the Church of God in Christ Singers [[COGICS) she can sound raw, bluesy, melodic, tender, joyous but always soulful. It’s really impossible to pick out favourite tracks so I’ll name only a few like ‘What More Can I Do’ with Roy Gaines, ‘This Time Last Summer’, ‘A Little Bit Of Heaven [[On A Little Patch Of Earth), ‘I’m Just A Woman [[Not Strong)’, ‘You’re The Loser Now’ & ‘I’ll Make It Up To You’. Oh and I must not forget to mention her version of ‘For Once In My Life’ which blows all others out of the water.

Blinky worked with some of Motown’s greatest writers and producers. Gil Askey, Ashford & Simpson, Frank Wilson, Don Hunter & Clay McMurray the latter also helped to put this package together but sadly died before it was released. The CD has a colourful 40 page booklet packed with information and great photographs.

Blinky herself has been fully active in promoting ‘Heart Full Of Soul’ by appearing in LA and autographing CD’s. Hopefully she will come to the UK in 2020 to perform an ‘out of the vaults’ concert.

For me and many others this has been a dream come true. Making this possible I’d like to thank Andy Skurow, Joe Marchese, Gordon Anderson, Kevin Reeves, the Free Blinky From The Vaults campaign and of course Blinky herself for the wonderful music.

You've really laid out well what a monumental event this is. Imagine , "brand new" Motown music , suppressed for FIFTY YEARS , now freed and available to be heard at last.

What kind of support is this getting from the music industry? Billboard? And particularly Rolling Stone , a rag I've always detested, but would be delighted to hear they have come through here. What a major musical event for them to celebrate, "lost " Motown music, now found and available for all. The story is particularly exciting because the artist is still with us!!!! Rolling Stone needs to do a feature article and interview of Blinky, including a cover photo of her .
What a story !!

I can't believe that I have to even suggest such a thing to this "music" reporting icon , it is so self-evident.

144man
12-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Finally got this on Tuesday.

***CD of the Year***

mysterysinger
12-16-2019, 06:31 PM
A beautiful package for which all involved really deserve the plaudits and thanks of all us Motown fans. I shall need to listen to the set a few more times before the music really sinks in and strikes home [[at least the tracks I've not heard before) but I'm gravitating towards the end of the second CD initially for the nicest tracks. It's great to hear some old favourites in such good quality too. Will there be any truly stand out tracks for me? I'm not sure yet but I do know I'm not a fan of "I'll Always Love You" as no one can top Brenda for me and I hate those extra voices [[in fact I can't listen to it because of them).
So glad Blinky has made it from the vaults though.

12-18-2019, 06:30 AM
IMHO this anthology is not a typical Motown thing, it´s a pure soulful Blinky thing. There are different styles of songs, some of them reminds me of the Dionne Warwick tunes in the 70´s. One half of Love reminds me a little bit of Diana Ross´Love Lines, Angel and Rhymes.

thommg
12-18-2019, 11:35 AM
I truly love this set. I wish I would have some down time to actually listen to it more fully. I know that these songs would have been on my turntable quite often if it was released back in the day. To me, it sounds as though everyone was trying to find the right "sound" for Blinky. Should she be more soulful, more pop, more R&B, more...????? They seem to veer in all directions. What it shows me is the blinky could have sung anything you threw at her. A huge talent! I am thankful this was finally released.

monicarivers
01-02-2020, 05:19 PM
I truly love this set. I wish I would have some down time to actually listen to it more fully. I know that these songs would have been on my turntable quite often if it was released back in the day. To me, it sounds as though everyone was trying to find the right "sound" for Blinky. Should she be more soulful, more pop, more R&B, more...????? They seem to veer in all directions. What it shows me is the blinky could have sung anything you threw at her. A huge talent! I am thankful this was finally released.

I received my copy the day after Christmas and was blown away by the package itself [[liner notes, photos). Like you, I need a more in depth listening session. She has a great voice and there are some nice covers. The original material kind of fell flat for me upon the first listen and I believe you hit the nail on the head: what is the right "sound" for Blinky? I'll give it another few go arounds and check back!

carlo
01-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Just picked up this great CD set from Soundscapes in Toronto...for any fans in the area, Soundscapes is selling it slightly cheaper than Amazon Canada and you'll be supporting your local record store :) It was nice to see he had several copies available. We had a nice little conversation at the register, as the owner mentioned this was on his list of top 2019 releases. I mentioned the album she did with Edwin and he was surprised...he had never heard of it. Gotta share the gospel of Motown on these streets lol.

I'm more than half way through the first disc. Love everything I'm hearing thus far. I noticed her gospel ending to God Bless the Child, which is similar to Diana's live version. Who copied who? :)

carlo
01-11-2020, 03:41 PM
...or perhaps it wasn't so much who copied who...but rather chalked up to the fact that both Blinky and Diana worked with Gil Askey...