PDA

View Full Version : Willie Horton and the Supremes "Detroit Is Happening"

test

RanRan79
09-05-2019, 11:02 AM
I had never heard of this until Mark mentioned it in another thread. I intended to post it here along with asking who everyone thought was on background since Mark says there's some argument that it's either Flo and Mary or the Andantes. But I just checked DFTMC and the song is credited with background vocals by Florence and Mary, so I guess that's that. It definitely sounds like Flo but I'm having a hard time deciphering Mary. Anyway it's a noteworthy cut in the Supremes history for it's obscurity and no Diana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_OCgoimVYc

thanxal
09-05-2019, 11:06 AM
I just can't get over the name "Willie Horton" from a presidential campaign many years ago.

bradsupremes
09-05-2019, 04:34 PM
I had never heard of this until Mark mentioned it in another thread. I intended to post it here along with asking who everyone thought was on background since Mark says there's some argument that it's either Flo and Mary or the Andantes. But I just checked DFTMC and the song is credited with background vocals by Florence and Mary, so I guess that's that. It definitely sounds like Flo but I'm having a hard time deciphering Mary. Anyway it's a noteworthy cut in the Supremes history for it's obscurity and no Diana.

This is definitely the Andantes only. It doesn't sound anything like Mary & Flo. Just compare the vocals on this to "The Happening." Two totally different vocal groups. One listen and anyone could tell it's the Andantes on this. There are a few things on DFTMC that doesn't gel with the story that it's Mary & Flo. First, DFTMC has the track being completed in June 1968. I have seen the session logs and there's an entry for a March 1968 recording date for backgrounds on "The Happening" track assigned to Willie Horton which is this one. Flo was gone by then. No way she could be on this. Second, by this time the Supremes wouldn't be doing background vocals for another artist. Third, I've noticed a few errors on DFTMC. One example is Marvin's "You're A Wonderful One" that lists the Vandellas as doing background vocals. We all know its the Supremes, not the Vandellas. I assume this is another error attributing the background vocals to Mary and Flo on "Detroit Is Happening."

marv2
09-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Willie Horton, Denny McClain, Al Kaline and Mickey Lolich were my all time favorite Tigers!

detmotownguy
09-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Willie Horton, Denny McClain, Al Kaline and Mickey Lolich were my all time favorite Tigers!
As a young kid, I saw Norm Cash hit 2 grand slams in the same game. I used to go to every night game game when I started working downtown after college. Willie was my all time favorite. These guys were fan friendly unlike many of today's athletes.

marv2
09-05-2019, 05:41 PM
As a young kid, I saw Norm Cash hit 2 grand slams in the same game. I used to go to every night game game when I started working downtown after college. Willie was my all time favorite. These guys were fan friendly unlike many of today's athletes.

Ooooo I hate you! LOL! I had to either listen on the radio or catch the games on WJBK Channel 2! LOL! I did get to see Willie Horton's autographed brick at the new stadium not long after it opened.

marv2
09-05-2019, 05:42 PM
I met and spent a good part of an evening with Gordie Howe at a trade show in Dearborn in 1994. My company hired him to be a part of our booth.

johnjeb
09-05-2019, 10:29 PM
I just can't get over the name "Willie Horton" from a presidential campaign many years ago.

That was my first thought also.

Laurent
09-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Third, I've noticed a few errors on DFTMC. One example is Marvin's "You're A Wonderful One" that lists the Vandellas as doing background vocals. We all know its the Supremes, not the Vandellas. I assume this is another error attributing the background vocals to Mary and Flo on "Detroit Is Happening."

DFTMC made the same mistake for Marvin Gaye's "Can I Get A Witness".

RanRan79
10-15-2019, 09:43 AM
This is definitely the Andantes only. It doesn't sound anything like Mary & Flo. Just compare the vocals on this to "The Happening." Two totally different vocal groups. One listen and anyone could tell it's the Andantes on this. There are a few things on DFTMC that doesn't gel with the story that it's Mary & Flo. First, DFTMC has the track being completed in June 1968. I have seen the session logs and there's an entry for a March 1968 recording date for backgrounds on "The Happening" track assigned to Willie Horton which is this one. Flo was gone by then. No way she could be on this. Second, by this time the Supremes wouldn't be doing background vocals for another artist. Third, I've noticed a few errors on DFTMC. One example is Marvin's "You're A Wonderful One" that lists the Vandellas as doing background vocals. We all know its the Supremes, not the Vandellas. I assume this is another error attributing the background vocals to Mary and Flo on "Detroit Is Happening."

Giving it a second listen, yeah it sounds like it's probably the Andantes, with one of them doing a damn good Florence impression. As far as the DFTMC information for tracks, I'm sure mistakes will slip in from time to time, which is why we can't take everything we read as gospel, be it on DFTMC or Soulful Detroit. "You're A Wonderful One" is definitely a serious error.