PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who purchased albums/45 when originally released

test

lockhartgary
08-28-2019, 07:47 PM
Today we can get information on just about any topic you can imagine at lightning speed. Imagine if that were the case during Motown's best years. Had you known then what you know now [[for example: additional voices being used or substituted, bands not actually playing on sessions, group names on releases when the group didn't actually do the session), would that have made you not purchase certain singles or albums? Or would you purchase said product simply because it was/is great music?

gman
08-28-2019, 09:45 PM
hard to say...I frequently brought new releases without even hearing them

alexstassi
08-29-2019, 02:50 AM
Today we can get information on just about any topic you can imagine at lightning speed. Imagine if that were the case during Motown's best years. Had you known then what you know now [[for example: additional voices being used or substituted, bands not actually playing on sessions, group names on releases when the group didn't actually do the session), would that have made you not purchase certain singles or albums? Or would you purchase said product simply because it was/is great music?

You mean... like would I have bought any of Milli Vanilli's records..... hell yeah... they were still great tunes!!

alexstassi
08-29-2019, 02:51 AM
hard to say...I frequently brought new releases without even hearing them

I did this in the 90s with alot of soul & rnb singles on release day.

Philles/Motown Gary
08-29-2019, 04:00 AM
If I had known then what I know now, it wouldn't have phased me at all. I was hooked on Motown. As long as they sounded great, which they did, I would have continued buying Motown product as it was released -- one masterpiece after another.

Motown Eddie
08-29-2019, 05:33 AM

NO! Also consider that Motown was not the only label who changed things behind the scenes of their recordings. As the statement on the Gordy label used to say "It's What's In The Grooves That Count".

arr&bee
08-30-2019, 10:29 AM
If i like it i buy it!!

Boogiedown
08-30-2019, 01:41 PM
I have to admit , when I purchased SUGAR SUGAR by The Archies [[my favorite record of all time) I didn't really think that was Archie singing it. [[ although I might have pretended it was Veronica singing, "I'm gonna make your life so sweet!" lol!)

Don't usually like this kind of rework , but this one works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYjRPOCpmE

How can anyone listen to this song and not smile ;)

marv2
08-30-2019, 10:12 PM
I have to admit , when I purchased SUGAR SUGAR by The Archies [[my favorite record of all time) I didn't really think that was Archie singing it. [[ although I might have pretended it was Veronica singing, "I'm gonna make your life so sweet!" lol!)

Don't usually like this kind of rework , but this one works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYjRPOCpmE

How can anyone listen to this song and not smile ;)

I got my copy of "Sugar, Sugar" of the back of an Post Alphabets cereal box! LOL!

Boogiedown
08-31-2019, 03:42 AM
I got my copy of "Sugar, Sugar" of the back of an Post Alphabets cereal box! LOL!

HA HA I think I remember JINGLE JANGLE being on it too:

Here's another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTv3YQBszY

144man
09-06-2019, 01:37 PM
If I had known then what I know now, I still would have purchased the product.