PDA

View Full Version : The making of Hitsville

test

ralpht
08-24-2019, 10:15 AM
I went to the Detroit premier last night. Looks like I was left on the editing room floor. But that is okay. The movie dealt primarily with the earlier days. All in all, I thought the movie was well done.

Roberta75
08-24-2019, 10:26 AM
I went to the Detroit premier last night. Looks like I was left on the editing room floor. But that is okay. The movie dealt primarily with the earlier days. All in all, I thought the movie was well done.

Sorry your part wasn't shown Ralph but you could be on the DVD cause they always add bounus bits to the DVD. Im glad you liked the movie. Im gonna watch it tonight.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

ralpht
08-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tip, Roberta.

9A
08-24-2019, 11:44 AM
I also attended The Making of Hitsville last night. I thought it was excellent. It covered some history of that era and the social impact of Motown for decades to come. Young people ought to view it just for the enlightenment, even if they don't remember the songs or the artists from the early days. Ralph and I will watch it again on Showtime. At least his name was in the credits.

StuBass1
08-24-2019, 12:18 PM
Certainly a compelling story. Interesting that they went directly to a cable network with it, not trying to first release it in theatres as was done with the SITSOM, Wrecking Crew, or other similar documentaries...

ralpht
08-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Stu, much of the movie seemed to be all Berry and Smokey. But that was just fine. So good to see the love and respect these two guys have for each other.

Jimi LaLumia
08-24-2019, 04:49 PM
well it is called The Making Of Hitsville, not The Stars or The Hits Of Hitsville.. the making was indeed Gordy and Smokey..

StuBass1
08-24-2019, 05:05 PM
Stu, much of the movie seemed to be all Berry and Smokey. But that was just fine. So good to see the love and respect these two guys have for each other.
That's the impression I get Ralph...but it IS the "Making of Motown" and those two virtually "made" Motown...It's on tonight, so I plan to check it out...

9A
08-24-2019, 06:21 PM
Yes, it is actually called "Hitsville: The Making of Motown," as you have noted. I'm sure you will find it light-hearted and enjoyable. The banter between Berry and Smokey is delightful.

marv2
08-24-2019, 08:23 PM

You see that is the kind of thing that irks me about these programs having people that were not involved in the company or Detroit involved. Did they at least mention Al Abrams and Esther Gordy Edwards?

marv2
08-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Yes, it is actually called "Hitsville: The Making of Motown," as you have noted. I'm sure you will find it light-hearted and enjoyable. The banter between Berry and Smokey is delightful.

Hi Nina. I'm glad you and Ralph at least got invited to the screening.

StuBass1
08-24-2019, 09:11 PM
You see that is the kind of thing that irks me about these programs having people that were not involved in the company or Detroit involved. Did they at least mention Al Abrams and Esther Gordy Edwards?
Understood, but the issue if you will is the producers have to sell this program to a broad audience for the project to financially pay off which is why they recruit nationally known people with their OWN following to participate in these type projects and feature them in trailers and advertising [[or else might play a tit for tat and include these people as a tradeoff to build THEIR careers as they did with Adam Ant in that Motown TV special as a favor to SOME industry associate, but Foxx and Legend don't need the exposure and the project needs them more than they need the project I'm sure)...not just appeal to those predictable viewers with a previous interest... Reminds me of a conversation I was once a a fly on the wall at a dinner conversation with the longtime manager and co-producer with a very famous singer, actor, film producer... His point was that for certain projects...they could find an actor for a million dollars that would be as good or better than another more famous actor that they would have to pay 6 million dollars...but in the end...in most cases...the star they pay 6 million dollars, based on their recognition and familiarity and box office appeal will generally make more money for their project than the million dollar actor who would have done the role just as well or better...Just how the business works... Jamie Foxx or John Legend, or whomever, will absolutely interest people in this documentary that otherwise might never tune in to watch...and the difference in those numbers can be HUGE and in the end... the object of the producers is to have a successful project that makes money...not just create a nostalgia event for diehard fans... In the end...although I haven't seen this film, it's interesting that someone got Berry Gordy, Smokey, and others before it's too late to go on video unscripted to reminisce about the making of Hitsville, like the title says...I believe that was the ultimate intent of the producers while telling the story of the unlikely growth of what started out as a virtual mom and pop operation into one of the most successful entertainment enterprises in music history......

marv2
08-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Understood, but the issue if you will is the producers have to sell this program to a broad audience for the project to financially pay off which is why they recruit nationally known people with their OWN following to participate in these type projects and feature them in trailers and advertising [[or else might play a tit for tat and include these people as a tradeoff to build THEIR careers as they did with Adam Ant in that Motown TV special as a favor to SOME industry associate, but Foxx and Legend don't need the exposure and the project needs them more than they need the project I'm sure)...not just appeal to those predictable viewers with a previous interest... Reminds me of a conversation I was once a a fly on the wall at a dinner conversation with the longtime manager and co-producer with a very famous singer, actor, film producer... His point was that for certain projects...they could find an actor for a million dollars that would be as good or better than another more famous actor that they would have to pay 6 million dollars...but in the end...in most cases...the star they pay 6 million dollars, based on their recognition and familiarity and box office appeal will generally make more money for their project than the million dollar actor who would have done the role just as well or better...Just how the business works... Jamie Foxx or John Legend, or whomever, will absolutely interest people in this documentary that otherwise might never tune in to watch...and the difference in those numbers can be HUGE and in the end... the object of the producers is to have a successful project that makes money...not just create a nostalgia event for diehard fans... In the end...although I haven't seen this film, it's interesting that someone got Berry Gordy, Smokey, and others before it's too late to go on video unscripted to reminisce about the making of Hitsville, like the title says...I believe that was the ultimate intent of the producers while telling the story of the unlikely growth of what started out as a virtual mom and pop operation into one of the most successful entertainment enterprises in music history......

I understand also, but this still does not please me. Sorry.

marv2
08-24-2019, 09:31 PM
I'm glad I have Ralph's, Al's, Mary's and the other Motown related books so that I could get the more complete story of what really happened and who was involved. I'm glad I was blessed to meet and get to know so many folks from Motown. Thank you.

detmotownguy
08-24-2019, 09:58 PM
I'm glad I have Ralph's, Al's, Mary's and the other Motown related books so that I could get the more complete story of what really happened and who was involved. I'm glad I was blessed to meet and get to know so many folks from Motown. Thank you.

Marvin, we cannot forget Miss Ray's book that provided us with some critical history on the develop of Motown not provided in other media.

StuBass1
08-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Yup, there are books out there with I'm sure more to come...some more realistic and truthful than others...Ralph told it quite well from his perspective as did some others, but some of the books are literary trash...so in the end...it's hard to tell the facts from the bullshit...

floyjoy678
08-24-2019, 11:17 PM
Just finished it. The footage was amazing. All cleaned up and some that were in color that I had never seen in color before! Its ashame these footages can't be released in their full form. Besides the footage, it was okay. Same stories we heard many times before. I was getting kinda bored halfway through.

Roberta75
08-25-2019, 02:01 AM

I agree with you 140% but we diehard fans are never gonna get what we want and if we did the movie - documentry would be 12 days long lol. That said I just watched it with my nephew and his husband and we loved it and its great to see the clips in color and cleaned up. I thought they did a real fine job and im gonna watch it again.

fondly,

Roberta

motown01
08-25-2019, 02:04 AM
I enjoyed it. What was interesting to me was the audio recordings from the quality control meetings and some other meeting audio. I wonder how many meetings were recorded and how many of those tapes survived. I doubt we'll ever get to hear any more.

marv2
08-25-2019, 03:20 AM
This is from the Detroit premier red carpet in Royal Oak Ralph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh3fb5adWqw

ralpht
08-25-2019, 07:19 AM
Hey Marv. where did you get the video?

PeaceNHarmony
08-25-2019, 07:38 AM
I went to the Detroit premier last night. Looks like I was left on the editing room floor. But that is okay. The movie dealt primarily with the earlier days. All in all, I thought the movie was well done.That's unfortunate for us! Can you tell us what in general your piece is about?

johnny_raven
08-25-2019, 07:56 AM

That's a shame, Ralph. They spelled my name incorrectly in the credits.

ralpht
08-25-2019, 08:16 AM
Peace......I honestly don't remember what was discussed in my interview. Done two years ago last March.

ralpht
08-25-2019, 08:20 AM
John, do I know your connection to Motown? Sorry if I don't.

johnny_raven
08-25-2019, 08:33 AM
None, I submitted the footage for the Arrid Extra Dry commercial.

ralpht
08-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Oh, okay. Cool.

ralpht
08-25-2019, 09:48 AM
How did you come by the commercial, John?

robb_k
08-25-2019, 10:05 AM
I look forward to seeing it some time.

mamaspearl2
08-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Watched the film last night. Good to see new archival material, the taped QC meetings were great. Learned a few more things I wasn’t aware of since Motown was before my time. So many artists to cover in so little time but overall it’s good for those just discovering Motown. From a selfish perspective, The Jackson 5 still caught the short end of the stick. In all, maybe 2 minutes worth of footage [[very quick) clips that were never before seen...still baffles me that no one has released a project dedicated to their contribution to Motown. Don’t wanna hear about the “legal shield” that prevents this...that’s getting old. Release the 1970 Philly show! Clearly it exists. Release the documentary narrated by Ewart Abner which shows the J5 rehearsing for the Philly show. Somebody gotta step up!

marv2
08-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Hey Marv. where did you get the video?

It was out on Youtube Ralph. I am going to search for more with updates, ok?

johnny_raven
08-25-2019, 10:14 AM
How did you come by the commercial, John?

I found the reel on eBay in 1998. Apparently, I'm the only person who owns it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM0PrQyA8HU

ralpht
08-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Cool, John. Post what you find.

marv2
08-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Ralph, they mention you in this Detroit News article on the premier:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/08/23/motown-alumni-return-advanced-screening-new-showtime-documentary/2104263001/

marv2
08-25-2019, 10:51 AM
Also here in the Detroit Free Press article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/motown-film-plays-for-a-crowd-that-helped-build-detroit-empire/ar-AAGf40U

johnny_raven
08-25-2019, 10:53 AM
I found so many rare Motown items over the years, I should buckle down and put them on YouTube. It would be a HUGE endeavor. Most are acetates, including Rare Earth's promo for the One World LP. The oddest item is a double sided acetate of Ron Miller performing tracks from the Funny Girl album.

ralpht
08-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Thank you Marv.

marv2
08-25-2019, 11:21 AM
Thank you Marv.

You are most welcome Ralph.

Motown Eddie
08-25-2019, 11:26 AM
I watched Hitsville on Showtime last night and I really enjoyed it. Hope that they have a DVD/Blu-ray release planned [[and that it includes additional material).

luke
08-25-2019, 12:15 PM
As a huge Motown fan I found it mostly a snooze overall but loved the Tops and Tempts clips and seeing the Original Vandellas.

johnny_raven
08-25-2019, 12:15 PM
I watched Hitsville on Showtime last night and I really enjoyed it. Hope that they have a DVD/Blu-ray release planned [[and that it includes additional material).

I agree. I'd like to see Ralph's interview [[among others).

ralpht
08-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Only shot I could find of that day.

marv2
08-25-2019, 12:40 PM
I don't understand these people that produced and edit this film/documentary. People keep telling me that they have to try to reach a broad, generic audience. Why not try to educate them in the process? Most of what is known about Motown has been out there for decades. In this special year, why couldn't they get into the real nitty gritty which means Detroit and what was really involved in creating and building Motown there? I know 2 hours is not enough time. I would have preferred a multi-part series where they used the REAL people that worked at Motown and some of the artists that rarely, if ever get mentioned. I think people would watch that. Everyone has seen the Supremes, Tempts, Tops, Marvin and Stevie many, many times in these anniversary programs. Everyone has also seen historical documentaries where they learned something new. They should give it a shot! Maybe a Canadian company could do one since it seems that they make the best documentaries up there.

ralpht
08-25-2019, 01:00 PM
I like your idea of a multi part series, Marv, but that more than likely won't happen.

marv2
08-25-2019, 02:22 PM
I like your idea of a multi part series, Marv, but that more than likely won't happen.

Ken Burns did what I thought were too great documentaries that were multi-part. One was on Baseball and the other was on Jazz. This is the route that they should have took with the Motown Anniversary.

ralpht
08-25-2019, 03:39 PM
I saw both, Marv. Excellent.

StuBass1
08-25-2019, 03:44 PM
I don't understand these people that produced and edit this film/documentary. People keep telling me that they have to try to reach a broad, generic audience. Why not try to educate them in the process? Most of what is known about Motown has been out there for decades. In this special year, why couldn't they get into the real nitty gritty which means Detroit and what was really involved in creating and building Motown there? I know 2 hours is not enough time. I would have preferred a multi-part series where they used the REAL people that worked at Motown and some of the artists that rarely, if ever get mentioned. I think people would watch that. Everyone has seen the Supremes, Tempts, Tops, Marvin and Stevie many, many times in these anniversary programs. Everyone has also seen historical documentaries where they learned something new. They should give it a shot! Maybe a Canadian company could do one since it seems that they make the best documentaries up there.
When has television, with the possible exception of PBS from time to time EVER been there to educate anyone???...More like medicate the masses and make a profit doing so...or as has been previously [[in-artfully) stated...It's all about the Benjamins baby...LOL

9A
08-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Ralph sat for an interview with a Canadian company a few years ago and never even received a copy of his interview, although they assured him they would send him one. Instead, he learned of a web site where they are showing the clips, but you have to pay to subscribe. Similar interview about his experience at Motown.

Here's a link to the "teaser."
https://www.sessionsx.com/ralph-terrana

marv2
08-25-2019, 05:02 PM
When has television, with the possible exception of PBS from time to time EVER been there to educate anyone???...More like medicate the masses and make a profit doing so...or as has been previously [[in-artfully) stated...It's all about the Benjamins baby...LOL

You should see the documentaries produced for the CBC [[Canadian Broadcasting Company) and some of their news/social commentary programs like "The Fifth Estate". I've watched them for years and learned so very much about a variety of subjects. Even from watch David Suzuki's program "The Nature of Things" [[seen in over 40 countries) for starters. We could do it here in America.

StuBass1
08-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Ralph sat for an interview with a Canadian company a few years ago and never even received a copy of his interview, although they assured him they would send him one. Instead, he learned of a web site where they are showing the clips, but you have to pay to subscribe. Similar interview about his experience at Motown.
I've been contacted for interviews in the past, even one from people representing Levi's that were doing a project on Detroit music. They arranged to meet me and I did an interview, spending about two hours with them and apparently never made it out of the blocks. Many of these projects are done on spec and never get past the finish line...

Soulmusic4life
08-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Any rare four tops clips or vintage interviews?

marv2
08-25-2019, 07:55 PM

That's not good.

marv2
08-25-2019, 07:57 PM

About 10 years ago, I provided a very popular television station in NYC with a ton of video footage for a program they were proposing to produced. They did not follow through and did not return any of my materials!

marv2
08-25-2019, 07:59 PM
I've been contacted for interviews in the past, even one from people representing Levi's that were doing a project on Detroit music. They arranged to meet me and I did an interview, spending about two hours with them and apparently never made it out of the blocks. Many of these projects are done on spec and never get past the finish line...

I know exactly what you mean. One that was being developed in NYC never materialized and the producer moved to Brazil!

alexstassi
08-26-2019, 07:46 AM
I just had the chance to watch it. Living in the UK I weren't gonna wait til Sep 30 to reach the cinemas so I went through the unethical route lol.

I really enjoyed it.. as has been mentioned before the banter between Berry and Smokey was priceless...

..and it's good to learn something new... that part about the guy from the union turning up at the session...I never knew that was how Martha Reeves went from secretary to star... amazing how things work out

Jimi LaLumia
08-26-2019, 08:25 AM
"Where Did Our Love Go" being originally intended for The Marvelettes and rejected by Gladys Horton was indeed confirmed by the Holland brothers, and by Smokey, with Berry Gordy standing right next to him, so that should settle that once and for all.. How different history might be if Gladys had said yes.. I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned that yet

bradsupremes
08-26-2019, 11:13 AM

It should have been a multi-part documentary series, but unfortunately it would have to be one where Berry Gordy would not have final say over the content. There is a way to tell the truth without anyone looking like a villain or a victim, but in the Motown story you have to discuss Gordy's shady side in screwing people over and his tunnel vision. It's a side Gordy would never allow to be told if he's at the helm.

woodward
08-26-2019, 12:47 PM
I learned that I Heard It Through the Grapevine was first recorded by the Miracles in August of 1966. It was not released until after Marvin's in April of 1967 and also Gladys Knight and the Pips in June of 1967. Another thing I just learned about this song that was not told on the special was that I Heard It Through the Grapevine was recorded by seven different Motown artists --- other than the 3 just mentioned, it was recorded by Rustix, Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers, the Temptations, and the Undisputed Truth. That could be close or an actual record for the Motown song recorded by the most artists. I am not certain on that but it could be in the running.

bradsupremes
08-26-2019, 01:02 PM
I learned that I Heard It Through the Grapevine was first recorded by the Miracles in August of 1966. It was not released until after Marvin's in April of 1967 and also Gladys Knight and the Pips in June of 1967. Another thing I just learned about this song that was not told on the special was that I Heard It Through the Grapevine was recorded by seven different Motown artists --- other than the 3 just mentioned, it was recorded by Rustix, Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers, the Temptations, and the Undisputed Truth. That could be close or an actual record for the Motown song recorded by the most artists. I am not certain on that but it could be in the running.

"For Once In My Life" is the most recorded song at Motown

- Connie Haines
- Jack Soo [[unreleased)
- Barbara McNair
- Billy Eckstine
- The Four Tops
- Martha & the Vandellas
- The Temptations
- Stevie Wonder
- Jonah Jones
- Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
- Soupy Sales
- Blinky [[unreleased)
- Joe Harnell
- Sammy Davis Jr.
- Kiki Dee
- The Ding Dongs
- Gladys Knight & the Pips

and counting...

ralpht
08-26-2019, 01:04 PM
Brad, can you relate to me the negative things regarding Berry Gordy? I'm curious to know your thoughts on this matter.

marv2
08-26-2019, 01:34 PM
"For Once In My Life" is the most recorded song at Motown

- Connie Haines
- Jack Soo [[unreleased)
- Barbara McNair
- Billy Eckstine
- The Four Tops
- Martha & the Vandellas
- The Temptations
- Stevie Wonder
- Jonah Jones
- Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
- Soupy Sales
- Blinky [[unreleased)
- Joe Harnell
- Sammy Davis Jr.
- Kiki Dee
- The Ding Dongs
- Gladys Knight & the Pips

and counting...

The Supremes also did on their "Live In Japan" album in 1973.

bradsupremes
08-26-2019, 01:42 PM
Brad, can you relate to me the negative things regarding Berry Gordy? I'm curious to know your thoughts on this matter.

First off, I have mad respect for Berry Gordy and what he's given the world. I don't know what many of us and the music would be like if it weren't for him. He's a visionary and his dream became a reality for a lot of us that still lives today and I'm thankful he did. Believe me, his positives far outweigh the negatives.

In terms of the negative things...I think the discussions of contracts, how little artists made in terms of money/royalties [[ex. Diana Ross leaving Motown with only $250,000 after 20 years of smash hits and sold out tours), Motown refusing to submit record sales to the RIAA, his tunnel vision set on Ross becoming a superstar while neglecting other incredible talents on the label, his treatment of Florence Ballard, the lawsuits between Motown and HDH, the way he uprooted Motown out of Detroit without telling the ones who helped to create it [[ex. The Funk Bros. finding out by a sign on the door), etc. Those kinds of things. Being a historian and someone who seeks to tell the truth, if we are ever to do a full length, multi part documentary series on Motown, those are things that need to be look at and discussed. With Berry Gordy at the helm they won't be because who wants the public to know about the negative things they did in the past. Those things are big parts of the Motown story and if we only look at the sunny side of everything we don't get the full picture.

ralpht
08-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Brad, unfortunately, I have to agree with you on all you mention. I did feel badly on how the Funk Brothers were treated. And I was so against the move to LA. However as you mentioned he built an amazing music empire, and he did it as a Black man in 1950s attitudes. So Berry isn't a saint. Me either. I'm sure he did the best he could running a very complex company, while giving the world the most amazing music ever heard.

bradsupremes
08-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Absolutely. I do think there is a way to tell the truth without making him out to be a villain because he isn't one. When you put in the context of the time you understand things better. I'm sure he has his regrets as we all do, but I know there are subject matters he wishes weren't discussed at all [[ex. the firing of Florence Ballard and how he mistreated her) and prefers to shy away from it.

carlo
08-31-2019, 08:10 PM
It's funny because I was starting to write a post about how BG had no choice but to be a shrewd business man because of the fact that he was swimming against the tide and trying to build an empire during turbulent times. However, I came to think, "Yeah Flo was cut a really bum deal. Same with the Marvelettes." It's one thing to cut them off from royalties or minimize their royalties to almost nothing, but to cut a person off at the legs, so-to-speak, by not allowing them the use of their name/legacy, that's pretty low. I can respect him for a lot of things, there's no doubt about that. However, he struck some deals after the fact, that basically made it impossible for some artists to make a proper living for themselves, post-Motown. I get he was trying to protect himself, his business and future earnings, however you should also have a little decency for the people who helped you "make it".

marv2
08-31-2019, 09:07 PM
It's funny because I was starting to write a post about how BG had no choice but to be a shrewd business man because of the fact that he was swimming against the tide and trying to build an empire during turbulent times. However, I came to think, "Yeah Flo was cut a really bum deal. Same with the Marvelettes." It's one thing to cut them off from royalties or minimize their royalties to almost nothing, but to cut a person off at the legs, so-to-speak, by not allowing them the use of their name/legacy, that's pretty low. I can respect him for a lot of things, there's no doubt about that. However, he struck some deals after the fact, that basically made it impossible for some artists to make a proper living for themselves, post-Motown. I get he was trying to protect himself, his business and future earnings, however you should also have a little decency for the people who helped you "make it".

Sometimes I can't believe how you've grown up! Excellent post Carlo.

marv2
08-31-2019, 09:08 PM
I finally got the chance to view the documentary. As I suspected it was very similar to 1998's "Motown the Music if Forever" that aired on ABC in two parts. This documentary was fine for what it was,but it was also very lightweight.

carlo
08-31-2019, 11:47 PM
Thanks Marv :)

I also just watched it tonight via Crave. It was pretty good but didn't blow me out of the water. I would agree it was lightweight and a bit slow moving at times. Perhaps I felt this way because it's a historical and educational piece geared toward the general public. For those of us who already know the entire story from front to back, there's not a lot of new stuff here. Nice to see Martha, Mary, the original Vandellas and some others interviewed, in addition to the usual suspects. Diana is barely shown in an interview capacity. She was featured for several seconds, and they used an interview from Motown 40. Nice to see all of the vintage footage of performances so nicely restored. I hope we can get more of that in the future. They could have mentioned some key players, such as our very own Ralph, the Andantes, etc. This was very much about telling Berry Gordy's story.

marv2
09-01-2019, 12:52 AM
I was pretty sure they were not going to mention folks like Junior Walker & the Allstars, Shorty Long or Jimmy Ruffin and they didn't!

snakepit
09-04-2019, 04:25 PM
Showing in the UK on 30th Sept. In my area anyway .

benross
09-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Diana Ross also recorded this song -- with Stevie Wonder as a duet issued on the Motown At The Hollywood Palace album in 1970 and in a disco version cut in 1977, produced by Hal Davis, included on the 1983 Motown Superstars Sing Never Before Released Gems From The Motown Vaults album. I think she performed the song on Make Room For Granddaddy or another television show, as well.

Clifton Miller
09-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Four authors of Motown books talk about the documentary, with a diverse range of opinion:

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/authors-discuss

milven
09-07-2019, 12:11 PM
Four authors of Motown books talk about the documentary, with a diverse range of opinion:

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/authors-discuss

That was a very interesting read. And there was something in it that I totally agree with.

"... I suspect more than a few in the audience will agree regarding a Ken Burns-type series..."

The Making of Motown was basically a Smokey - Berry lovefest. I would love to see a Ken Burns type documentary.

I am rewatching Ken's documentary on New York City, which traces it from the Dutch settlers to current times.

I would love to see a Motown documentary which traces Motown's history from Berry working on assembly lines, to his being ripped off from royalties from Jackie Wilson songs to the creation of Motown showing successes and warts, through its successes in the sixties, seventies, moving out of Detroit, its eventual sale and resale, and its current purpose and function in the present

ralpht
09-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Maybe Ken Burns should be approached with the concept.

marv2
09-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Maybe Ken Burns should be approached with the concept.

I totally agree with that! The Motown Story has still not been done justice in my opinion. This documentary was ok, but I just feel more than a bit short changed. It's kind of like when Berry Gordy sold Motown in 1988 for $61 million only to watch it be sold again 3 years later in 1991 for over $ 330 million!

detmotownguy
09-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Marv I prob won’t watch it unless there is some earth shattering historical revelation we don't know It is worth it or not?