PDA

View Full Version : Stoned Love backing vocals

test

masterblaster
08-19-2019, 04:22 AM
There has been a lot of debate on this forum about who is or who is not singing the backing vocals on various DRATS recordings, but has it been established who the backing singers are on Stoned Love. To my ears, it sounds like there are more singers than just Mary and Cindy, particularly on the 'tell it like it is' lines.

blackguy69
08-19-2019, 10:54 AM
This was just discussed on the DRATS board and this thread belongs over there
There has been a lot of debate on this forum about who is or who is not singing the backing vocals on various DRATS recordings, but has it been established who the backing singers are on Stoned Love. To my ears, it sounds like there are more singers than just Mary and Cindy, particularly on the 'tell it like it is' lines.

marv2
08-19-2019, 10:59 AM

There is no debate and this should be in the DRATS sub-forum.

bradsupremes
08-19-2019, 11:37 AM
Mary and Cindy are there, but with additional help, but I don't believe it's the Andantes. Possibly the Blackberries or Brenda Joyce Evans and Billie Rae Calvin of the Undisputed Truth who were doing background vocal work for Motown at the time [[ex. Four Tops' "Still Water Love").

marv2
08-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Mary and Cindy are there, but with additional help, but I don't believe it's the Andantes. Possibly the Blackberries or Brenda Joyce Evans and Billie Rae Calvin of the Undisputed Truth who were doing background vocal work for Motown at the time [[ex. Four Tops' "Still Water Love").

It is Mary, Jean and Cindy in the background. They recorded them in New York City.

bradsupremes
08-19-2019, 11:59 AM
It is Mary, Jean and Cindy in the background. They recorded them in New York City.

According to the track annotations for "Stoned Love"...

Track was cut - March 10, 1970
Background vocals recorded at Golden World - April 2, 1970
Horns and strings added at Golden World - April 27, 1970
Additional instrumentation added - June 8, 1970
Completed in Washington DC - studio information & recording dates unknown

I don't have an itinerary near me, but it'd be interesting to see where the girls were on April 2, 1970 [[if they were on the road or at home) and when they were performing in Washington DC. There's no denying Jean, Mary & Cindy are on this, but we have to keep our minds open to the possibility there are more voices there. The same applies to "Up To The Ladder To The Roof" and most Jean-era recordings. Motown and producers didn't stop using additional voices once Jean replaced Diana.

marv2
08-19-2019, 12:02 PM
According to the track annotations for "Stoned Love"...

Track was cut - March 10, 1970
Background vocals recorded at Golden World - April 2, 1970
Horns and strings added at Golden World - April 27, 1970
Additional instrumentation added - June 8, 1970
Completed in Washington DC - studio information & recording dates unknown

I don't have an itinerary near me, but it'd be interesting to see where the girls were on April 2, 1970 [[if they were on the road or at home) and when they were performing in Washington DC. There's no denying Jean, Mary & Cindy are on this, but we have to keep our minds open to the possibility there are more voices there. The same applies to "Up To The Ladder To The Roof" and most Jean-era recordings. Motown and producers didn't stop using additional voices once Jean replaced Diana.

I don't hear any other "voices".

bradsupremes
08-19-2019, 12:56 PM
I don't hear any other "voices".

Listen to it a little closer. They're there.

luckyluckyme
08-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Louvain Demps, when interviewed by John Perrone on 'Nightflight', said that their [[the Andantes) voices were added to the background vocals of "Up the Ladder To the Roof".

Roberta75
08-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Louvain Demps, when interviewed by John Perrone on 'Nightflight', said that their [[the Andantes) voices were added to the background vocals of "Up the Ladder To the Roof".

Does John still do his show from Provincetown. Please tell him Roberta from Panorama City California sends him her regards and good wishes. Thank you in advance dear.

jboy88
08-19-2019, 10:01 PM
I don’t think they’re on “Stoned Love”, but Billie Rae & Brenda from the Undisputed Truth did provide additional background vocals on The New Ways.. album. Especially on “Bridge over Troubled Water”, my favorite cut from the LP.

masterblaster
08-21-2019, 07:58 AM
There is no debate and this should be in the DRATS sub-forum.
This is a 70's Supremes topic, I thought the sub-forum is for DRATS topics only.

mowsville
08-21-2019, 10:21 AM
Its for Diana Ross/Supremes topics..it does say that quite clearly.