PDA

View Full Version : Doris troy

test

Kamasu_Jr
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks to Kent for releasing I'll Do Anything on Doris Troy...another underrated singer in the US, but championed by soul music fans in the UK. Troy is best known for her 1963 hit, Just One Look and she was the subject of Mama, I Want to Sing, a popular stage musical that gave birth to urban and gospel-themed plays by Tyler Perry.

The disc is a history of Troy's recordings in the 1960s and 1970s. The essay is fascinating, detailing her work as a songwriter and session singer in America and the UK. I wonder how many copies of this will sell in the US?:cool:

theboyfromxtown
03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I understand that "Mama" soundtrack album is real hard to get hold of these days. I've been asked to copy mine on a couple of occasions.

Do you think it will sell better in the UK or the US?

Kamasu_Jr
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I understand that "Mama" soundtrack album is real hard to get hold of these days. I've been asked to copy mine on a couple of occasions.

Do you think it will sell better in the UK or the US?

Yes. Look, you're the first to respond to my post, a Brit. :-) Did you like the disc?

theboyfromxtown
03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Yes I did!

Kamasu_Jr
03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes I did!

I heard James Hunter on Doris Troy's CD. I assume the cast album to Mama, I Want To Sing was a UK only release?

theboyfromxtown
03-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Not sure Kamasu. I think I bought it at the theatre and I did that to remind me of a good night out. I know it was selling in Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus which did sell non UK releases.

I bought it when I saw Chaka Khan. The second time I went with Billboard's Fred Bronson when Deneice Williams took over. We then went to Tower where Fred got his copy of the soundtrack album.

If you need to hear the tracks, let me know

reese
03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Not sure if it is the same one that you guys are speaking of, but there was a MAMA I WANT TO SING cast album released on Reach Records in 1986. I never saw it in stores. I bought mine at a performance of the show.