PDA

View Full Version : Al Bell, ex-Stax Records and Motown exec.

test

nativeNY63
08-05-2019, 02:55 PM
It was reported -

Al Bell and his wife of 55 years is relocating his Al Bell Presents to Bentonville, Arkansas. To contribute to the "vibrant Bentonville music scene...[[and create)the next Stax Records."

Thoughts on this exciting news?

woodward
08-05-2019, 03:35 PM
I had not heard about this, however, in case you are unaware, Bentonville, ARK is the headquarters of WalMart. Maybe he can sell his product through WalMart.

nativeNY63
08-05-2019, 07:38 PM
I had not heard about this, however, in case you are unaware, Bentonville, ARK is the headquarters of WalMart. Maybe he can sell his product through WalMart.

According to the article, that was one of the reasons Mr. Bell factored into moving there; WalMart's success in that part of ARK.

ralpht
08-06-2019, 07:06 AM
I wish him well. Class act all the way.

BritishTony
08-06-2019, 05:06 PM
C'mone on, an iconic figure from first Stax then Motowm. How can we not support him. Can't wait

soulwally
08-07-2019, 09:09 AM
As long as Bell doesn't get involved with a Johnny Baylor-type figure again...
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/646/1158/87011/

nativeNY63
08-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Sounds like a real scoundrel!

StuBass1
08-07-2019, 06:44 PM
There was a lot of "funny stuff" going on at Stax following Bells purchase of the company from Jim Stewart...Stewart, not the sharpest of business people had earlier unknowingly given Atlantic Records ownership of the Stax master recordings in their distribution deal...With the previous loss of the labels two biggest acts, Otis Redding in a plane crash and Sam & Dave, whose contract was with Atlantic [[who owned the entire Stax catalogue) not Stax , despite the fact that their records were released on Stax...In other words, prior to Bells official leadership role, [[he was National Sales Director), Stax was little more than a recording studio... As Bell took over and made his deal with Columbia for 6 million in cash, he made a handshake deal with Clive Davis but Davis was soon fired as Columbia then cut back its payments to Stax, sending the company into a financial death spiral... That's when the scramble for the declining remaining dollars happened and the company piggy bank was virtually looted...