PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Kendricks - Slick Lp

test

caliluv
07-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Eddie Kendricks - Slick Lp
Some how for whatever reason I missed this album and now that I've rediscovered it, I cannot get enough of it. I don't remember but was it promoted when it came out? I had brought all the other solo albums! Needless to say I think Caston & Majors were a good team with Eddie and this album for me didn't fall short.

Quinn
07-27-2019, 02:36 PM
This is a low point for Eddie in my opinion Cali. The most beautiful thing about it was that he reunited with many of the Funk Brothers and recorded it in Detroit. As far as the material is concerned,i'll pass.I don't believe it was promoted at the time because him and Berry Gordy had a horrible relationship. It wasn't very good to begin with, but spiraled out of control when the two had a disagreement over the artwork of the "He's A Friend" album.If my memory serves me correctly this album peaked at #77 on the R&B charts,so that should tell you what you need to know.

marv2
07-27-2019, 03:50 PM
"Intimate Friends" was the best song on that album.

BayouMotownMan
07-28-2019, 06:28 PM
The only standout on this lp for me is hearing Jean Terrell on the opening cut Something Shady. She is credited as Jean Thompson. Her voice is really audible on the first chorus.

TomatoTom123
07-29-2019, 09:07 PM
I've never really paid this album much attention either, apart from "Intimate Friends", which is a TUNE of the highest order.

I like "Something Shady [[Is Goin' On)" too! Although I can't really her Jean Terrell very well on it?

arr&bee
07-30-2019, 01:40 AM
I have this one,far from eddie's best.

snakepit
07-30-2019, 02:01 AM
Well, there you go,.....I quite like the album.
Are people judging it by the poor cover....smacks of " can't be bothered'.

jack020
07-30-2019, 02:47 AM
Anything by Eddie is fine by me.
I treasure my 2 Motown Solo sets by him!

edafan
07-30-2019, 02:11 PM
I have 13 solo albums, plus 20th Cent Masters, plus At His Best.
I love each and every one of them.
Contrary to most on this form, I refuse to rank them in terms of liking.

edafan

Boogiedown
07-30-2019, 03:06 PM
was 'slick' a nickname of Eddie's? not sure why the title....

Of course Leonard Caston has every right to harvest from his Boogie Down groove til there's nothing left of it to pick from, but he seems to have lost fact of the idea that it was a progressively building feel-good groove with a likewise uplifting attitude.....keep on trucking baby ......

No one , in my estimation, is enjoying the six minute groove while Eddie pisses and moans throughout its entirety about his woman maybe being a no good cheat and he's thinking maybe he oughta leave her!:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=255&v=Oeslih1BL9U

And DIAMOND GIRL , already couldn't stand the song , didn't think it could be made even worse!!.............imo.

But THEN CAME YOU seems to explore interesting new territory.

marv2
07-30-2019, 03:14 PM
I have 13 solo albums, plus 20th Cent Masters, plus At His Best.
I love each and every one of them.
Contrary to most on this form, I refuse to rank them in terms of liking.

edafan

Same here. I have all of his work. Love the majority of it.