View Full Version : Pride & Joy - The Marvin Gaye Musical

test

marv2
07-27-2019, 02:35 AM
Ok, now this looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdLCsRm8Bf4

Circa 1824
07-27-2019, 03:22 AM
What kind of musical has the actors lip syncing??

marv2
07-27-2019, 09:00 AM
What kind of musical has the actors lip syncing??

I am not sure if they will be lip syncing in the live performances.

midnightman
07-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Would be interesting if this actually heads to Broadway. I'm sure MGIII is working on it!

marv2
07-27-2019, 11:35 AM
Would be interesting if this actually heads to Broadway. I'm sure MGIII is working on it!

He is totally involved in this.

caliluv
07-27-2019, 12:03 PM
He certainly favors Marvin !

kenneth
07-28-2019, 03:18 PM
I'm a little suspicious because in the trailer it says something like "Original Motown Music". I hope that doesn't mean the performers are lip-syncing to the original recordings. As much as I may be the first to point out that the interpreters can never match the original vocalist[[s), I always enjoy more, on film or on stage, if I know the performers are actually doing the singing.

Compare Sissy Spacek's interpretation of Loretta Lynn in "Coal Miner's Daughter" to Jessica Lange's lip-syncing of Patsy Cline in "Sweet Dreams." When Jessica starts to "sing," the whole movie stops while you imagine someone cuing up the tape of Patsy. I always picture something out of "Singin' in the Rain" when Debbie Reynolds had to dub for Jean Hagen!

That being said, when I saw "Motown the Musical," the young fellow who played the 9 year old Michael Jackson was an absolute phenomenon, and when I looked up the review in the Los Angeles Times they said the same thing, except they were talking about the other youngster who played MJ, not the one I saw! So it seems they had two amazing performers in that role, as one child probably isn't legally allowed to handle a role like that on a nightly basis.

It's a great trailer though, creates the right amount of buzz. Gaye certainly deserves a tribute musical.

kenneth
07-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Okay, not to worry...they do their own singing. Found this interview online:

https://www.fox2detroit.com/good-day/397651784-video