PDA

View Full Version : Philly Soul article from Smithsonian.com

test

tsull1
03-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm a Philly Soul fanatic and I even learned some stuff here that I hadn't before from a general interest magazine that focuses on American history:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Forty-Years-of-the-Philadelphia-Sound.html?c=y&page=1

* Also includes my favorite O'Jays picture ever!

chidrummer
03-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Very nice. Short and sweet. Check the comments too.

Kamasu_Jr
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Nice article even though I think some of the Philly music is over-exposed. But I liked how the article described the duo's writing process and how members of the Philly house band were found.

soulwally
03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah, some of the tracks get played a lot. In the Uk we aren't well served by national radio and local radio - it's usually the ones that were hits here... Love Train, the Three Degrees biggies, some of the Blue Notes' stuff.

But for every one of those 'over-exposed' there are a hundred fantastic examples of soul balladry, dance classics and message songs, all put together with a fantastic consistency of groovesome band tracks, expressive 'meaning it' vocals and, in many cases, lyrics that still have that message for today as they did 30-odd years ago.

Gamble-Huff, their singers, musicians, producers and songwriters have much to be proud of. I loved the sound then... I still love the sound now.

tsull1
03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
While "Love Train" was overexposed, where I live, they weren't exposed enough. One can think where their little hamlet in represents the rest of the world. I'd rather have this over-exposure than the slop that's being played today.

Motown is over-exposed, too, I guess, since it's played more than Philly Soul by a mile. I'm glad both are around. I don't understand the desire to have this music diminished. :mad:

daddyacey
03-03-2011, 03:21 AM
Nice article , but more important ,is that it's from The Smithsonian! That's a U.S. Govt institution, and for them to give credit to and record the history of "The Philly Sound" ,being an " general interest magazine that focuses on American history:" ,and being from a Government Org, is a big step in the general populations acceptence of this musics place in All American History. It at least serves as a doorway into the full story. For every 100 persons that read this ,at least a third will research further. They will be exposed to the other tracks that are not "over exposed" ,in that pre programmed "Classic Soul" format that radio and T.V. offers. Today you would think that "Soul/R&B musics greatest period would be Motown ,Stax and Philly Intl, from 1968 to 1980. Of course ,there are many of us that know better than that and know that there is a much bigger picture and story. If you are 45 or older chances are ,you know what came before 68 ,and at least as far back as the 40's, through your parents and grands. 46 or so and younger ,you have to be shown that and shown how it is connected to what the youngins know about R&B/Soul and Funk, and Funk Jazz. Any means of documenting the history is a blessing. The pictures in this article are excellent!

Sharon McMahan
04-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Nice article! However, it is unfortunate that there was no mention of the greatest string and horn arranger in R&B history who wrote the notes for the instruments that spiced up those tracks with those dancing strings and pulsating horns that brought that Philly Sound to life............the one and only Bobby Martin. He was also the arranger for MFSB. It is my opinion the credits should read Gamble, Huff & Martin.

mr_june
04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Gamble, Huff, Bell & Martin.